Beautiful, windless, sunny day....just had to get out there...got lucky again.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hunted from 11:30 - 1:30 in the windless, sunny , pleasant weather at a very old beach. :icon_sunny:

Ring was found in the first 30 minutes of the hunt...after that it was just clads and "sinkers".

Had to read this beach carefully....not many low spots; most areas at this beach are still sanded over.

Spied a slightly low-lying wet area ..looked pretty good, so I decided to make that the "theater of operation"

Ring was about 8" deep in muddy flats. I think it may be an antique ring...not sure. :dontknow:

Elite gave off a medium , strong sound.

Here's pics

If anyone can decipher the initials, please post...I can make out a "D", but that's about it.

Here's a bit of info that I was not aware of.... regarding signet rings .

Signet rings are rings worn by individuals bearing an initial, monogram, or other image to denote the identity and, long ago, the social or noble status of the wearer. Signet rings have a long and illustrious history and figure prominently in a great deal of well known artwork and literature. The earliest types of gold signet rings were found in the tombs of the ancient Egyptians, the same society that was first to fully incorporate wedding and engagement rings into their religious ceremonies and hold them as important social constructs.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you everyone for your suggestions as to the initials of this ring; much appreciated. :)

My detecting friends stopped over my house today for coffee & conversation; one suggested that the last letter was an "S"; her husband thinks it's a "T". :icon_scratch:

I'll be investigating various calligraphy fonts to see if I can finally put this one to rest.

Here's a pic of another signet ring that I found last year in the same area of the same beach.

Same style initials :dontknow:

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread