New to Excalibur ll & think I have a problem.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
New to Excalibur ll & think I have a problem.

I bought a new Excalibur ll this past winter and finally took it out to the local beach for a dry sand run to see how it worked. The EMI is just to bad close to my home to set up the machine, even out in the yard.

Set up was simple and easy, worked the sand and soon got a good medium low tone, and here is where I started noticing a problem.

Set up was.

Threshold verily audible

Volume at max

Discriminate at 2

Sensitivity at 1 o'clock

When I went to pin point I noticed the sound was very low even though the discriminate sound was quite loud. When pin pointing I noticed if I tried to stop the movement over the target the signal disappeared.

My owners manual says it should get louder as you approach the target and weaker as you move away from it and it does not need movement to get a signal in pin point, All my targets were quite shallow no more then a few inch's and all my responces were quite weak.

I have watched several videos on "You Tube" and many guys hunt in pin point all metal as they say they can get targets you won't hear in discriminate, and that is for sure not the case for my new machine. Looks like a trip back to Minelab and I've only owned it a few weeks and taken it out once. Is there anything I might be doing wrong?

To say I'm disappointed is a understatement. Rick :coffee2:

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: New to Excalibur ll & think I have a problem.

I've had this Excal 5 or 6 years and before every season, I re-read one of Clives Excalibur books. Last night I found a tip on tuning for deeper targets and balancing for the sand at every beach that I totally forgot about. I've been water hunting for 16 years and I am still learning. One thing about the Excalibur, for maximum performance, it is not an "out of the box" machine.

OP
OP
Rockin Chairs Gold

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Re: New to Excalibur ll & think I have a problem.

I presently have two of Clives books (Shoreline Treasure Hunting) and (Advance Methods for Finding Gold in the Water) These were purchased before I bought my Excalibur ll. I try to be as informed as possible before taking the plunge and purchasing a new machine.

I have been water hunting since 1976. There were no water machines in those days and I started out floating a old Whites 66TR and it worked pretty good except kids kept splashing water on the box and blowing the loops. My next machine was a Whites 6DB Hip Mount that I floated and it worked pretty good as well. Then Whites came out with a water machine but had lots of problems with the seal leaking. My next machine was and is a Tesoro Sting Ray ll, I have had it for 15 years and had to have a loop replaced this winter which they only charged me the shipping.

My want for a Minelab Excalibur came from a club hunt in the water a few years ago and one of the members had one, and it by far out did everything in the water for getting the deep gold.

I am fighting a hearing aid problem right now but will work it out. I also will learn this machine as I have every other one I have owned. It all takes time and Patience's. Rick :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread