Coin experts....heres a "mystery" coin that I found at an old beach today...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Coin experts....here's a "mystery" coin that I found at an old beach today...

in the dry sand near dunes.

I think I know what it is....but not sure.

Any guesses out there?

I'll be carefully cleaning it and will post the results later. I don't want to electrolyze it...might ruin it.

I just have it soaking in olive oil .

Here's pics of a 2hr. hunt today

Except for these old coins, pickins were slim.

Thanks for looking
Lorraine

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Re: Coin experts....here's a "mystery" coin that I found at an old beach today...

Looks to be the size of a nickle. Could be a V nickel. Interested to see what it looks like after you clean it up. I understand the pros use electrolysis to clean stuff. I think what I have heard is that it is the voltage and amps that affect the results the most. The slower you go the less damage to the object. I just purchased a cell phone charger with a 4.5v and miliamp output. Hope to put it to work and see the results on some silver I found long ago. Nice old hunting ground you have there. Never know what you might find. HH. Ralph

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: Coin experts....here's a "mystery" coin that I found at an old beach today...

Looks more like a diameter of a quarter to me. Just like good barbecue, you need to go low and slow when cooking.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cant tell from pics.. but it seems to be the right size for v nickle or if its a little thinner it could be a half cent.....

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

petersra said:
Looks to be the size of a nickle. Could be a V nickel.

I think "V" nickel is the correct ID

Date appears to be 1889

Here's pics of the coin in progress of getting cleaned -soaking in olive oil and gentle rubbing.

Still has a ways to go, but I think this will work.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

if thats a 1885 V nickel ( $550 -only 3, 790 made) or 1886 V nickel ( $275 only 4,290 made) be very careful how you clean it up, if at all. -- since both are high value coins even in G4 (poor condition)

1889 V nickel is $11 in G4 shape

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

ivan salis said:
if thats a 1885 V nickel ( $550 -only 3, 790 made) or 1886 V nickel ( $275 only 4,290 made) be very careful how you clean it up, if at all. -- since both are high value coins even in G4 (poor condition)

1889 V nickel is $11 in G4 shape

Thanks for that info, Ivan. I will only soak it in olive oil; no soap; just warm water.

The stars are starting to become visible; :) but there is no detail in the head...no lettering on band . :(

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:

That is neat to live in an area that has old coins. Our area was not even populated until the invention of air conditioning became available after WWII.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread