For anyone interested in the progress of the cleaning of that "V " nickel ...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For anyone interested in the progress of the cleaning of that "V " nickel ...

that I found yesterday, here's the latest pic.

The coin has been soaking in olive oil since yesterday; it's coming along slowly ...hope to get all the crusting removed without any electrolysis.

Thanks for looking again

Lorraine

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Re: For anyone interested in the progress of the cleaning of that "V " nickel ...

Impressive. I have never used olive oil for coin cleaning. Nice to see the change. Ralph

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Re: For anyone interested in the progress of the cleaning of that "V " nickel ...

petersra said:
Impressive. I have never used olive oil for coin cleaning. Nice to see the change. Ralph

Thank you, Ralph; when I can finally see all 13 stars, I will post another pic.

I'm told that sometimes one has to soak a coin for weeks in olive oil to gently clean it.

Lorraine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is looking good so far. :thumbsup:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What type of olive oil are you using? Some are supposed to be more acidic than others. Great pics! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

starting to look like a really nice coin!!!!!

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Olive oil does work well. I used to soak my nickels and pennies in it when i lived in Louisiana because the soil was acidic and corroded the coins. I dug shield and V nickels in some old sites.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

mts said:
What type of olive oil are you using? Some are supposed to be more acidic than others. Great pics! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

I am using what I have in my kitchen cabinet at this time; container reads "100% Pure All Natural Olive Oil"

Not sure of the content of acid in it...it is not the highest grade of Olive Oil ( I think the high grades are referred to as "hard pressed" Virgin Olive Oil) , but it's all that I have at this time.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the clarification on the type of olive oil. Keep those pics coming! I'm anxious to see how well this experiment turns out.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

mts said:
Thanks for the clarification on the type of olive oil. Keep those pics coming! I'm anxious to see how well this experiment turns out.

A bit more progress overnight; I can see 7 stars now. :hello2:

Here's update pix; One of what I would love to find; the second of the small , but steady progress of the coin that I found; but I'm not a quitter..will keep at it.

thanks for looking ..again :hello:

Lorraine

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

its coming along give it time :icon_thumleft:

you should see how long I gotta soak my roman coins ............

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 362
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

WOW! That's an impressive display , Ivan! :headbang:

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6

That's coming along fine. Years ago in my coin collecting days, olive oil was one of the only accepted ways of cleaning a coin. It is non abrasive and usually doesn't do any damage. All it takes is a little patience. It's neat that you're able to see the date now. I like the old coins, it's nice to envision the beach at the time the coin was lost.
regards
Ed

PS
also nice to know that there's something older than me. ::) :wink:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

"All it takes is a little patience."

Yes, it sure does, Ed......and I'm running short of it little by little with this process; but I have now uncovered star * 8, so the O O is still working ...will carry on.

Lorraine

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you changing the olive oil or just leaving it in the same stuff? What is the recommended practice?

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

mts said:
Are you changing the olive oil or just leaving it in the same stuff? What is the recommended practice?

Here is a link to cleaning coins in olive oil.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5047229_clean-coins-olive-oil.html

I change the olive oil each morning just to make sure it is fresh.

Lorraine

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON

So that`s why it hasn`t been working - it says NOT to use VIRGIN!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

virgin olive oil is not as acidic -its the acid level in the olive oil that helps in the cleaning process --often the cheaper the olive oil is , the more acidic it is -- not as smooth tasting for eating but great for coin cleaning. :wink: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

ivan salis said:
virgin olive oil is not as acidic -its the acid level in the olive oil that helps in the cleaning process --often the cheaper the olive oil is , the more acidic it is -- not as smooth tasting for eating but great for coin cleaning. :wink: :icon_thumright:

I think the oil that I am using is at an inexpensive grade level.

As I understand it, there is a difference between "100% Pure
All Natural Olive Oil"(which I am using) , as opposed to "Virgin olive oil", but I could be wrong on this?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Lorraine

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

yes "virgin" is the first cold pressed olive oil (first time thus "virgin" ) --it is the least acidic and most fruity tasting of olive oils --they press olives several times to get all the oil out of them --even using heat and steam in the later pressings to extract every last bit of oil --the later pressing whlie still olive oil are more acidic * and to some folks less "tasty" --then there the olive oil "blends" that are only part olive oil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread