Caught up with Old timer leaving large holes on Beach While Detecting

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last week I met this old timer digging 18 inch deep holes he had about 50 of them. Next to some holes was a piece of trash. I ask if he could just kick a little sand back in the hole. He told me no!
He's been doing it this way for 40 years! This week I pulled out the camera and he ran under the pier and out of site. Its no wonder we lose places to hunt. First time using this Video camera.Check out the video.

Upvote 0

Euqinu

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Detector(s) used
Sov. GT, Compadre
Texcam said:
If you see him again call the police, he is a public nuisance. Not sure if the police will do anything to him but maybe they will.

Hopefully he will be a little more considerate next time he hunts.

Good luck calling the police in AC, there all busy hassling cyclists on the boardwalk!

If they don't do anything about the drunks and addicts under the boardwalk then I doubt they even show for him. Sometimes things are best handled with a camera. Post vids on the forums of him and even pictures around the local area to inform the public of who to look for to sue when they do break a leg stepping into one of his holes. :laughing7:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I also don't like to include outside agencies like the police as this may have a negative affect on all treasure hunters."

i agree with that, to many reports will get everyone banned!!! i think you did great and if we all do the same maybe we can straighten these types out!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasDigger1 said:
Maybe the old fool was a Gopher in his before life, he is a real idiot.......

Hey! WTF? ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not meaning to change this thread, but I have a problem with hunters also digging holes in grass at parks and not filling them in or taking out the trash they find in the dirt. The pull tabs are laying on top of the dirt clods or tossed on the grass. When I hunt the grass I use a screw driver and if I can't touch the target I usually don't cut a plug. I am pretty lazy. Depends on the weather mostly. Course my ground is soft too and yours might not be.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a idea.....why dont you form a group hunt... half the group starting at one end of the area he hunts, other half at the other end.. working your way into the middle where he is...then, have a LITTLE CHIT CHAT WITH HIM.. I am game if need be.. I hateeeeee that crap.. I might be old but I can still swing a scooper pretty dang good... :thumbsup:

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
i may be young and new to this hobby but i know that that is just BS when somewhone doesnt fill in thir holes!!! your too lazy to fill in your hole???? it makes me mad when there are people like this that make the rest of us look bad! >:( try to get him on camera and expose this guy for the ***hole that he is! :thumbsup:

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Can't fix STUPID - too stupid to understand. When people display absolute disregard for other people - then I tend to feel the same way toward them. Reasoning with him will not work - intimidation(camera or verbal) may work, if not - then long handled scoop upside his hard head may cause him to reconsider.

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I think you should just detect right behind him, when he changes direction change with him. Eventually he will leave and may not come back. It may even interfere with his machine so he cannot detect. No signal means no hole. HH

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would never cut it, on Hollywood Beach down here, or too many of the Fl beaches I know.
Too many people walking, jogging, exercising, fall in hole, break neck, foot, or hip, no way! The lifeguards would tell 'em, if he can't be a little neater, he'll hafta leave!

Pet-tekker-cat cat knows: when Fluffy (excal) howls, meow meow, and we make a hole, she keeps whatever she digs outta it, and covers the whole in the "litter-box" back up! I trained her good!

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck calling the police in AC, there all busy hassling cyclists on the boardwalk!

If they don't do anything about the drunks and addicts under the boardwalk then I doubt they even show for him. Sometimes things are best handled with a camera. Post vids on the forums of him and even pictures around the local area to inform the public of who to look for to sue when they do break a leg stepping into one of his holes. :laughing7:
[/quote]

This is exactly right. The police have been ordered to patrol the boardwalk and ticket bicyclist. Meanwhile the drunks and addicts are harassing folks on the beach. Two blocks inland is mayhem. Petty criminals and street fights are the rule of the day. The police give this a pass because most of these criminals don't have the money to pay the fines. So it goes in a city where the head of the police force is a political appointee with no prior law enforcement management experience.

AC is a great place to beach hunt, but past that, it's a pit. If you go be careful where you park.
As for our hole digging buddy on the beach, there is little to do about him. I too have been on the same beach with him. He's a jerk!! I filled his holes as i went.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you tjc45, for filling in his holes.

The only way for "evil" (jerkedness, drunks, addicts, mayhem, criminals) to prevail, is for good men to do NOTHING.

Stand up for what is right!

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Guys and girls this is not AC beach. It was at Seaside Heights NJ There are enough great hunters at this location that will give him hell. I think he'll move back to where he normally hunts. I have never seen him before the last two times I hunted. I am pretty regular on SS beaches since 1991 and Pt Pleasant beaches since 1976.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm all for packing out the reject targets (junk) in my apron. But ....... do you all fill your holes if you're at the surf's edge, where ....... the incoming tide .... if not the waves that will surely slosh up within the next couple of minutes, will fill them?

I hunt during beach storm-erosion season. And as expected, not many people (not ANY for that matter) on the beach during pouring rain, wind, etc.... And strictly hunting the violent surf zone (where the erosion is occuring), I confess to letting the next tide cover my holes. Heck, a lot of times I'm fighting to stay on my feet against the waves, and the holes disappear by the time I turn around to look back at them.

Would it be fair game, if the time-span for the waves to slosh over them is ... 1 minute? 5 minutes? How about 10 min? How about an hour later if that's the tide-timing? What if no one else is on the beach during that time -span (d/t the storm). What if I see one person weeeaay far away?

I guess what I'm getting at, is where' the fine-line, since we all know there's 2 high tides per day, which will totally cover the inter-tidal zone each time.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is at least one guy in AC who leaves craters. I guess there are plenty of people who don't get it>

Tom, noone can tell you how to handle the hole situation. If I'm in the surfline with water washing over the hole it's fairly impossible to fill the hole. I drag my filled scoop up the beach to get it out of the surf and check the find. The incoming surf has usually fills the hole. If not, i take the sand i scooped and put it back. Below the high water mark nature will smooth things out within 12 hours.

Mostly, in the surfline or wash, you're not going to dig deep holes anyway. On the steep beaches with pounding surf you only get one shot at the target. Or, at least on shot at a time with water and wet sand constantly filling the hole.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
In CA, if you pick up a piece of trash and drop it you can be cited for littering. A friend got pulled over on a highway for speeding. He got out of his car and picked up a coke can that so that he would have something to spit in. (He chews) The can had red ants all over it and he got bit, so he threw it down. The cop gave him a ticket for littering. I forgot about it until now, so I don't know how court turned out. Littering was up to a $1,000 fine. Randyd

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tell him your next door neighbor just busted his ankle in one of his "huge" holes he left --so you need his name to give to him for his lawyers when he sues him --tell him that if he will not give his name to you that you'll just get his tag number and let the lawyers PI find out his name that way .......... at least it will make him think of at least back filling his holes.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Randyd said:
In CA, if you pick up a piece of trash and drop it you can be cited for littering. A friend got pulled over on a highway for speeding. He got out of his car and picked up a coke can that so that he would have something to spit in. (He chews) The can had red ants all over it and he got bit, so he threw it down. The cop gave him a ticket for littering. I forgot about it until now, so I don't know how court turned out. Littering was up to a $1,000 fine. Randyd

If you piss off a cop he can write tickets for all kinds of stuff. When I get pulled over I am the politest guy you ever met!

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
With any luck he will fall in one of his holes and break his leg, or with any luck his neck!

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Have you come across this #$%&*%#!! again?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what a moron his holes are not even close to the water line it looks like --so the next "high tide" (up to several hours away ) is not going to refill them for him-- after you "talked to him" he shoulda got a clue --1 moron like that can ruin it for everybody * please get him "on camera" and get HIM banned from the beach or busted for the craters he is is leaving before he takes every metal detectorist in the area down with him because of him not giving a crap--- what a flipping dip stick .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread