Caught up with Old timer leaving large holes on Beach While Detecting

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last week I met this old timer digging 18 inch deep holes he had about 50 of them. Next to some holes was a piece of trash. I ask if he could just kick a little sand back in the hole. He told me no!
He's been doing it this way for 40 years! This week I pulled out the camera and he ran under the pier and out of site. Its no wonder we lose places to hunt. First time using this Video camera.Check out the video.

Upvote 0

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Montauk3 said:
Find out where he parks. Apply caltrop.
Caltrop :evil6: gotta love it. My luck tho would be the bugger can see just fine and would move it first.

Better to just use the toe of your boot to pop the valve stem out of the rim!

Hopefully karma force feeds this idiot a giant POO burger!! :evil6: :evil6:

~~Happy Hunting~~

bigbcbear

Greenie
Jan 31, 2004
Delta BC
That is unbelievable the old timer would not fill his holes in . In Canada where I'm from you could be charged with Criminal Mischief Charges . And I see that in Florida you have similar laws http://www.criminalpropertydamage.com/florida/ this is just 1 example , here is one for NJ http://njlawman.com/Legal Research/2C.htm#2C:17-3_Criminal_mischief . I would video tape this guy and if he drives there get his license plate number and go see the police . Or at least go talk to the parks dept or government agency that owns the beach . Hopefully no one gets hurt from his holes especially a child .
Maybe they could put up a sign on the beach to fill in your holes or be fined . Just a thought. Kevin

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Somewhere Beautiful......
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Those are some impressive holes. He is one heck of a digger. They are so close together as well. What is he digging?

Bringing in the law is a bit much..... Most beach detectorists have spent numerous occasions frolicking around some VERY deep holes, sand castles, moats, ect.... It is common for peeps to "dig" in the sand at the beach. I normally hunt the night and fill in a lot of beach goer holes. With that said, he has the right as a "free" citizen, but is lacking respect for citizenship (in a sense). This country has a rule for everything now. Perhaps if peeps had more self control and a little respect we would not have so many freaking rules, laws and ordinances.

I would have not listened to him and pushed the sand back in after he moved a little further away. It is embarrassing leaving such huge holes like that... and dangerous. He is probably a bit on the cantankerous side so throwing some chips on his car for the ghetto birds would definitely ruffle his feathers. Nothing like getting back to ur vehicle and it covered in ghetto bird turds....

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's digging for silver coins and old jewelry on what can be a very productive beach. People have been losing stuff on Jersey's beaches for at least 150 years. Mother nature constantly shuffles the deck of sand and goodies that haven't seen the light of day for decades and much longer are suddenly within reach.

That's the big draw of the Jersey shore. Not only can you find that 925 Tiffanys Bracelet that was lost two days ago, but the 18k Cameo circa 1880 lost 100 years ago. The Barbers, Mercs, Standing Libs, and IH's are nice finds as well. And, if it's possible to top that there are sections of shoreline producing Reales. Gotta tell ya, Reales are a real crowd pleaser when it comes to beach hunters!

Lastly, as for the holes, doesn't every sport or hobby have it's jerks? Fill the holes you come to and move on.

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Somewhere Beautiful......
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Wow... Sorry for the ignorance of ur beaches produce. Research is my number one objective, yet I have no need to research ur neck of the woods. Thank u for sharing the info. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Just a little info here, this section of the beach was a dump of sand from under the boardwalk in Seaside Height NJ. They stock pile the sand for winter months in case of a Northeaster storm. Then they dump it back on the beach. This section was loaded with coins (clad) and they dug a little deeper and we were finding silver also. Each tide moved more sand and produce more targets. Along with the good stuff came lots of boardwalk trash hence the amount of holes. Believe me he got there first on two occasions. But still left me a bunch of targets!

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Ahole should get himself a water detector and then he could be lazy and back track in to one of his own holes :tongue3:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread