Caught up with Old timer leaving large holes on Beach While Detecting

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last week I met this old timer digging 18 inch deep holes he had about 50 of them. Next to some holes was a piece of trash. I ask if he could just kick a little sand back in the hole. He told me no!
He's been doing it this way for 40 years! This week I pulled out the camera and he ran under the pier and out of site. Its no wonder we lose places to hunt. First time using this Video camera.Check out the video.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, he's been doing it wrong for 40 years?

What a moron.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried Crap NJ said:
Last week I met this old timer digging 18 inch deep holes he had about 50 of them. Next to some holes was a piece of trash. I ask if he could just kick a little sand back in the hole. He told me no!
He's been doing it this way for 40 years! This week I pulled out the camera and he ran under the pier and out of site. Its no wonder we lose places to hunt. First time using this Video camera.Check out the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3437EtZD6cI

Should have slapped him in the chops, broke his machine, took his scoop and left. LOL!

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow!!!! what a slob.... good news is if he was motivated enough to run when he saw the camera he just might think twice next time hes out hunting.....if not he will at least . spend a lot of time looking over his shoulder....

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Awesome! Wish you could have caught him on the video.

Sometimes a little exposure and some negative peer pressure does wonders towards changing people's habits.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a video of him every time you see him, when he asks you why your taking his pictures tell him so you can show them to the police and post them on the web boards on how NOT to detect at the beach.....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I would take a video of him every time you see him, when he asks you why your taking his pictures tell him so you can show them to the police and post them on the web boards on how NOT to detect at the beach.....
EXACTLY! What a P.O.S.!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I'll bet a pair of wire cutter on his coil cable would put a stop to that ;D

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holes on the beach are very easy to fill. I just don't get it. I'm thinking mentally ill. I hunt New jersey also. If I see him I'll let him know also.

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
While I do believe that violence has its place, it's not in this hobby. We need to educate hunters to understand that times have changed. While twenty years ago we could have dug holes on the beach and left them for the next tide to fill, it doesn't work that way any longer. We share the beach with huge numbers of others. Fishing, surfers,joggers,shell collectors to just name a few. If we dig a hole at the high tide mark it takes 6hrs to go down and 6hrs to come back up! That's a potential 12hrs of broken legs. People now a days look for excuses to complaint or sue!
I did point this out to this man but to no avail? I even showed him that if he just stepped on the side it was more than enough to cover the hole. I will certainly keep on pointing my camera in his direction.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a thought that made me sick. What if he has
been doing it wrong for 40 years, is about ready to quit
detecting and wants to screw things up for everyone else
because he is a miserable, dispicable person. Get some video
of him in action and post it. What a P.O.S.!!
Gold Nuggets :hello:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I cant believe he has been doing it like this for 40 years and no one told him to fill his holes and take out his trash. Or maybe they did and he keeps on doing it because he is lazy and doesnt care. Either way, he is a fool, and going to ruin it for a bunch of people. Is that vid at Atlantic City? I see a boardwalk or something in the back ground. Let the life guards know about him, I am sure they will do something about him.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Some hunters just don't care about what the public says about us. He might think the holes will recover, but he is to lazy to take out his trash. Peer pressure is the best way to get to this guy. Everyone should be ready to take pictures of this activity everytime they see it.

However like the kids that play the music too loud, they don't read or use computers. A smack with a 2X4 over the head gets their attention.

Texcam

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
If you see him again call the police, he is a public nuisance. Not sure if the police will do anything to him but maybe they will.

Hopefully he will be a little more considerate next time he hunts.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Maybe the old fool was a Gopher in his before life, he is a real idiot.......

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
What a complete Ahole I don't know if I would be as diplomatic as you. It just makes me sick to the minefield this guy left. People like him are the types the ruin this hobby for everyone else. I am sure all us beach hunters see enough of how people trash the beaches without lame brains like this one making things worse for all.

Maybe you should scare him a little more with the injury/lawsuit angle . Tell him you twisted your ankle in one of his holes and are considering suing him. Not sure if one can file a suit against another private individual like that on public beach but hey if this guy is so ignorant about the right way to enjoy this hobby maybe he is ignorant about the law as well and that angle might get really get his attention. .... Or just knock him into one of his holes and bury him. Sorry all I couldn't resist that one. .. I guess you can tell it really infuritates me that people can behave in such a way.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Texcam said:
If you see him again call the police, he is a public nuisance. Not sure if the police will do anything to him but maybe they will.

Hopefully he will be a little more considerate next time he hunts.

I agree... a few years ago I came across a guy hunting the same way on a connecticut beach... I went up to him and told him someone could get hurt or break an ankle if they fell into one of his craters, he laughed at me told me to blank off... I moved away and pulled out my cell phone and called the police... I saw them pull up and came over to me and I pointed out the slob but also told the cop what I told the slob the reasoning to fill the holes... they kicked this guy out and the town pulled his permit to the towns beaches I was later told... he swore at me and I smiled and wished him a great day ;D

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am not trying to be the Hole police. I would hope with support of others we can get to point across. I also don't like to include outside agencies like the police as this may have a negative affect on all treasure hunters. Its great to see that most support the poor behavior. I just hope that others stand up and say something when the see it happening. I also spend the time filling in holes that I find on the beach by others,just a quick step on the side to collapse it. I just hate when people look at me as if I did it. This guy isn't the only one I have seen leave holes, he just happens to be the guy who leaves the beach looking like a mine field!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
If you don't want to involve someone with authority, see if you can get his email address, then post it. That should be fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread