Cheap water scoop!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
These are about the cheapest and best on the market. If you are traveling with the scoop, you might consider one of the break down travel models.

http://www.rtgstore.com/

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What beach you going to and how long will you be there? RTG makes some good scoops, if hitting the beach once a year is something you do every year I would think about the future and get a good scoop...... A shovel is useless in the water, a cheap short sand scoop want work in the surf if you go past knee deep, and unless you like constantly bending over they are a pain even on shore....You will dig a lot of trash on shore and that means a LOT of bending over.......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scuba said:

Ankle deep water and dry sand only......Think about it is only 24" long....You could not use it past your ankle because the water will fill it in faster than you can remove it. It is listed as a sand scoop, that means dry sand and it is a cheap sand scoop.......Personally, I would not waste my money on it. YOu will tear up a cheap scoop in no time...... The majority of the good jewelry finds are in wet sand and in the water....

My first scoop was a $60 scoop and I broke it in less than a month of use, digging in wet sand is hard on a scoop...... I was told to buy a good scoop when I first started and I thought "$60 is a lot for a scoop, it will work"......WRONG, I then bought a good water scoop a Beach Brute used for $100, sold it 18 months later for $75 and bought the Beach Brute II for $200, I could sell it tomorrow for $150 if I wanted to...

You don't lose money on a good scoop, only cheap scoops...

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got one of the knee hi water scoops a couple of years ago . extended the handle for water hunting , ended up crushing the scoop in no time. eventually got one from rtg. no probs now - very strong, get what you invest in !

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly if you tell us which beach you are going to. The just might be somebody nearby who will hunt with you and might be willing to rent/loan you a scoop.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Sandman said:
Since you are only going once a year one of these long handled scoops would fit the bill.

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm

For anything more than that I'd get a Sunspot Stealth. http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html This is the best investment you can make for next year or hunting inland lakes.

Do you recommend the 8" or 6.5", and why?

Thanks! Thinking of picking one of these up for a beach I want to hit more that is muck and clay silt. I think it will be easier to empty the contents from one of these than from my nutall diamondhead scoop.

Jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
Sandman said:
Since you are only going once a year one of these long handled scoops would fit the bill.

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm

For anything more than that I'd get a Sunspot Stealth. http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html This is the best investment you can make for next year or hunting inland lakes.

Do you recommend the 8" or 6.5", and why?

Thanks! Thinking of picking one of these up for a beach I want to hit more that is muck and clay silt. I think it will be easier to empty the contents from one of these than from my nutall diamondhead scoop.

Jim

When it comes to water scoops you always want the biggest you can get. If your in the water and there is any surf at all you want to be able to recover the target as quick as possible before the next wave comes in and hits you, the bigger the scoop the more sand you can move.....

My scoop is 8.5 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 6 inches high, and has a stainless steel lip, it can move a lot of sand....It is my backhoe.....

beachbrute-1-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread