Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: Refinery help

Which refinery is best for rings containing diamonds?? I have used different places in the past but for gold finds only without diamonds. From last season I have at least 4 rings that contain diamonds and would like to get the absolute most for my rings, if gold hits $1500/oz I am going to pull the trigger so, any suggestions on a refinery? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After sending 10 1/4 pound identical samples of gold plated material to 10 different refineries around the usa.4 refineries all said the same thing that what i sent them wasnt worth anything and that i owed them money for trying to process it.4 other refineries said that the material was only worth 1/4 of what i knew it was worth.(i already knew what the return was supposed to be to see who was honest or not)1 refinery totally ripped me off,never returned my calls or any word from them.the 10th refinery called me and said they assayed the material and asked if i wanted a check or the gold in ingot form.I took the ingot and have been dealing with them for 25 years. 4 of my close friends deal with this refinery too.

Just remember the higher precious metal prices get,the more people get greedy and are most likely to rip you off or cheat you.Take the diamonds and precious stones out of your rings before you send them to any refinery.A metal refinery doesnt want to deal with your stones.Document everything with photos and video.And insure it before you send it anywhere.There are thieves in the postal service as well as UPS and fedx.I know,i had 9 100lbs boxes of high grade gold lined test equipment boards never make it to their destination and someone even fudged the tracking numbers to make it look like they made it.It took me almost 2 years to collect the insurance.Thanx UPS.

http://www.peaseandcurren.com/

dfxone

Dec 12, 2005
ventura, ca.
Detector(s) used
whites DFX, Sovereign GT
ARA Gold Refinery in Texas is the best. They give you 98% of spot gold price. Check ARA Gold Refinery.com and call them, they will talk to you. GH, Don

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dfxone said:
ARA Gold Refinery in Texas is the best. They give you 98% of spot gold price. Check ARA Gold Refinery.com and call them, they will talk to you. GH, Don

And, as I understand it, they will sell your diamonds ...bidding if not too small.

Lorraine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used ARA and Midwest Refineries in the past and it is always best to remove all stones yourself. Better you should sell them or have them set in another ring and they make nice gifts.

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I am getting from this post is they'd like to know who they can sell the diamonds too, as well as the gold.

Joy

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I read the post the same way. He wants to know who buys both. I can't answer that. ARA sends your stones back graded and cleaned. I far as I can find most diamonds are pretty worthless under 1 karat. And if you have a ring with a 3 karat diamond your a fool for scrapping it. I have made friends with small town jewlers and sell them the small stones, they used them for repairs and made custom stuff. I found its the best return. Anyone in this hobby needs to befriend a jewler so he/she has a trusted person to turn too! Don't wait till you need one.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your rings that have stones are in good shape, you will come out dollars ahead if you sold them off individually, as actual rings, on craigslist and or ebay. Not only will you get full spot price, but you'll go over and above any other offer you will receive on selling diamonds individually, since its being offered as a ring, and not something as scrap.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARA will return you stones to you, no refinery I know of will buy your gold and the diamonds too.....

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
ARA actually has a new policy, they send you a check for your gold or silver, then a jeweler comes in once a week and bids on the lot of stones that were removed from your jewelry. They will call you on the phone and tell you what the jewelers bid is, if you accept it, they send you another check, if you decline, they'll send the stones back to you. I have done this once already with them nd they were very fair. Remember wholesale, your not ever going to get retail. Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finderzzs said:
ARA actually has a new policy, they send you a check for your gold or silver, then a jeweler comes in once a week and bids on the lot of stones that were removed from your jewelry. They will call you on the phone and tell you what the jewelers bid is, if you accept it, they send you another check, if you decline, they'll send the stones back to you. I have done this once already with them nd they were very fair. Remember wholesale, your not ever going to get retail. Good luck.

Nice to know about the change, although personally I would prefer to have the stones back as I can hold on them and let them add up then have a custom diamond ring made for Mrs Treasure Hunter...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im keeping all my stones so i can use them for money when the economy crashes and the dollar isnt worth the paper its printed on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread