Protecting the Seal on Underwater Metal Detectors

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
I have a Garrett Mark II Sea Hunter and getting ready to go down south tomorrow for 5 or so days of metal detecting. It seems I remember reading something previously on this forum about keeping the seal that houses the battery compartment lathed up with some type of marine-type goop to ensure water does not creep in. I do not remember reading this in the Sea Hunter manual, but is this a good idea? I have not yet added goop since I got the detector new about 1 year ago and have used it about 80 or so hours now. What kind of goop do you guys use?

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You need silicone grease. Go to any pool store and ask for silicone grease to lube O rings. I get the big tube, it will last for years. That is really the only thing you need. You take the case apart, change batteries or whatever, and take out the O ring on a very clean surface, no sand. Then clean it good, and inspect the groove it was in, and the flat that hits it, to insure no sand. Then once O ring is clean, take a pinch of silicone grease and run the O ring through your fingers, keep adding more grease if dry. Go around twice to ensure it is all oiled up. You want it just greased up and a thin layer, not globs that would catch sand. Then carefully put it in groove and carefully close and clamp evenly. This only takes a minute when you know how to do it. This is used on anything that has an underwater case, UW scooters, UW cameras, and of course UW MDs.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you do that, be sure not to overtighten the battery cap. the two marks have to line up without force. It's really simple and it is in the video and manual.

Hey, what manual??????? I only got the video when I bought mine. :icon_scratch:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill: An underwater seal is an elastometer.
It keeps sea water out by expanding when pressure is put upon it.

This elastometer must be in good condition (not brittle or have worn depression) and be kept clean.
What is important is that you remove the batteries after the detector has been used. After cleaning, I usually put one plastic bag around the control housing and another plastic bag around the noncompressed seal and back plate it is fitted in to avoid dust settling on it.

You should directly call Garrett to determine if they recommend using silicone grease on the seal of this detector.
If it is not stated, in the manual, it most likely is not necessary.

I have a Garrett Mark II Sea Hunter and getting ready to go down south tomorrow for 5 or so days of metal detecting. It seems I remember reading something previously on this forum about keeping the seal that houses the battery compartment lathed up with some type of marine-type goop to ensure water does not creep in. I do not remember reading this in the Sea Hunter manual, but is this a good idea? I have not yet added goop since I got the detector new about 1 year ago and have used it about 80 or so hours now. What kind of goop do you guys use?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is THREE years old. :BangHead:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be so, but the information is current and of value to others.
Just out of curiosity, do you put silicone grease on the seal of your CZ21?
No, the manual says not to...I do put it on my AT pro o ring, its recommend...CZ21 has a gasket, not an o ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is THREE years old. :BangHead:
I posted this because sometimes people read these threads without realizing how long ago they were posted...Overkil lOverkill hasn't posted in over three years. Not saying you were wrong to reply to it, just giving people a heads up on how old it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions