metal detector hobbyists churn up treasures after recent hurricanes......

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the header going across the television screen this morning on local 7 news.I watched till the news went off and no other mention of the story all morning.Talk about being p*ss*d off,I haven't heard anything about treasure found on the beach after the hurricanes.This was the first mention of any decent finds and then they don't tell you anything!That's what I get for watching FOX news I guess.Sensationalism at its best,or worst I should say!Any body here hear anything?Anything significant?ps- I am in So. FL.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:$40,000 IN LOOT FOUND ON FLORIDA BEACH I just received my Jan. issue of" Lost Teasure" magazine.The front cover has what I was looking for.On page 32 is a story written by Anthony M. Belli.To make a long story short -Brevard county resident Joel Ruth,a marine archeologist/treasure hunter, using a 25 year old Garrett's ADF Deep Seeker found 183 coins on the beach after hurricane Jeanne.Of those 183 coins only 3 were modern.The rest were Potosi and Lima mint coins dated between 1679 and 1706.Estimated value of these coins is 40 grand.At least 20 of the coins were just lying on the beach and most of the others were in 1-2 inches of sand.Not bad for 3 hours "work"

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't read it yet, but it sounds odd that there were no 1715 wreck coins found, and these are mainly Mexico coins. That is what is mainly in the area. Could be they were from some other wreck, but it still comes up as odd.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohninCT said:
I haven't read it yet, but it sounds odd that there were no 1715 wreck coins found, and these are mainly Mexico coins. That is what is mainly in the area. Could be they were from some other wreck, but it still comes up as odd.
The man says it is 1715 Spanish treasure, only not from the doomed treasure galleons from the 1715 fleet.The beach where this treasure was found ,is from Spanish salvage sloops that fell under attack a year later by a force of 800 men,before they could reach the main vessel scheduled to haul the salvaged bounty back to Spain.In other words ,the treasure had already been salvaged from the 1715 fleet,only to be lost again,this time in battle!PS-the man (Joel Ruth) is ,in my opinion,a proffesional.He worked the Jupiter wreck with the Mel Fisher group for 2 years prior to this find .The article mentions that he has recovered 1000's of coins,artifacts and other treasures connected with the 1715 fleet.He is an marine archeologist by trade.

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Ok, but if you read the reports of the past coins found that are from the 1715 wrecks, there are mostly Mexico coins and dated in the 1714 era, this lot is stating much different dated and minted coins. Something still sounds strange to me. Majkes no difference that the coins were lost then found then lost again, the dates and mints don't sound like 1715 wreck coins.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohninCT said:
Ok, but if you read the reports of the past coins found that are from the 1715 wrecks, there are mostly Mexico coins and dated in the 1714 era, this lot is stating much different dated and minted coins. Something still sounds strange to me. Majkes no difference that the coins were lost then found then lost again, the dates and mints don't sound like 1715 wreck coins.
So, what do you want from me?I'm just tellin' ya what the mag. article says!Buy the magazine and read the d*** article!See Ya!

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey, no need to get upset about it. I was just discussing the unusual part about it. Just a simple discussion with my opinion on the article, which I didn't get to see, and have no access to. I am not wanting or expecting you to do anything about it. I was hoping someone else might come in and tell us more.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohninCT said:
Hey, no need to get upset about it. I was just discussing the unusual part about it. Just a simple discussion with my opinion on the article, which I didn't get to see, and have no access to. I am not wanting or expecting you to do anything about it. I was hoping someone else might come in and tell us more.
Sorry,I just got off work(bad day)didn't mean to get upset at you :( I forgot I am amongst friends here :) ;)

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No problem, we all have a bad day now and then. I just realized also, that you said it was in Lost Treasure mag, which I can buy. Sorry, I was wrong on that. Somehow I got the idea it was a newspaper article, (duh). I read some of the other newspaper articles in the Florida area telling about the coins being found a month or so ago, but I lost the net site. Oh well, I guess no one else has anymore info on this story. I always like to read these 1715 treasure articles, I just find through the years that lots of storys are exaggerated or bogus. My sister lives about 10 miles from the beaches and has no interest in the treasure on them, I live about 1400 miles north and always have the hots for beach hunting there. I have been a few times but never found any treasure coins. But I have been collecting treasure coins since I was 18 years old. I am 61 now, so I do have knowledge of the coins and their types. Thanks much for posting about the story. :)

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I don't know why the first link didn't work right but if you copy and paste it into your URL and hit enter it should take you there. HH.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Being an old timer on this forum and a resubscriber, I can tell you tha the cobs found by Joel are in fact late 1600's to early 1700's with no date pass 1715. The area where he found them is a popular place to detect the beach and until the hurricane reoved the old, vacant building that was on the land, you could not get to where the cobs were recovered from. Speaking to Joel and Bob Marx on saturday, the cobs were confirmed to be as described as the time frame listed in the paper (15th - 16th century" nothing more than a typo. Even the photo's show a cob dated 1713.

N

Noble Metal

And Fox is the worst for any real truth.
I believe in the last three years it goes something like this, from worst to the most accurate:
Fox
CNN
NBC/CBS
BBC

BBC the best, and is not our country. Is Very Very Sad.
Its not like it used to be before we were all born. ~ When I think of America, I think of Abraham Lincoln.

D

Darod

Just so you guys know, ....that link to the article doesn't work :'(

Rod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread