GT was busy today..... antiques, old coins, sinkers, medallions...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hunted an old beach....targets everywhere..I just kept diggin' & scoopin' almost non-stop for 3 1/2 hours.

Lots of old decrepit coins; a nice 1917 "buffalo"; a couple of "wheaties", 3 medallions, antique bottle; antique spoon ( stamped "coin silver plate" , but after electrolysis it turned a golden hue :icon_scratch: ; sinkers; you name it...I dug it .

Here's a bit of info on "coin silver flatware" that I found on a site while researching this spoon:

What Exactly is Coin Silver?

Well, we can't define it "exactly". Coin silver flatware was manufactured in America from early colonial times to just after the Civil War. The raw material was melted European coins of the time. They were about 90% pure silver. Compare this purity with that of sterling which is 92.5% pure silver.

We found other references to coin silver flatware that included purity levels as low as 80% pure silver. Therefore, it's difficult to tell the purity definitively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pattern of this spoon is "ROXBURY" , patented in 1906.

I haven't dug so much in a long, long time; pass the Advil, please :laughing7:

Here's some pics

thanks for looking

Lorraine

Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Great going "L", that fire department medallion turned out nice. Glad you had a good hunt. It's been a long time coming for you.

HH

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
EL Pirata Loco said:
Bottle looks cool...that was actualy found at the beach?

Thank you, EL Pirata,

Yes, it was half buried in the low tide mud; it was full of dark mud..difficult to clean out.

A bottle just like this one is presently being offered for sale on e-bay .

I have found many antique bottles at this beach. Hope to get back there soon.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I love the old stuff you find up there, every hunt is a surprise. Thanks for sharing.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
You done great Lorraine!! Gold, silver and a good workout. I am sure you slept good that night. You go girl. HH, Ralph

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
How anyone could confuse you with me is beyond me. We are at opposite ends of the MD spectrum. You find the most amazing things! I generally find junk. What a hunter you are and I will gladly send you a bottle of Advil. It's a pleasure reading your posts and seeing your finds. WTG! :wink:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
mumszie said:
How anyone could confuse you with me is beyond me. We are at opposite ends of the MD spectrum. You find the most amazing things! I generally find junk. What a hunter you are and I will gladly send you a bottle of Advil. It's a pleasure reading your posts and seeing your finds. WTG! :wink:

Hey, Mumszie...seeing that we both use Advil, then I'd say we are on the same end of the MD specturm..huntin' and hurtin' :laughing7:

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread