Hunting in Canada, use an Infinium, heres why..

Willy

Hunting in Canada, use an Infinium, here's why..

Just did some tests with my new Infinium & have some interesting results. It looks like all current Canadian coins, rings, necklaces etc., read (on the infinium) as a low conductor with the distinctive hi-low tones. Larger iron gives the low-hi & the disc. will knock out some of the small, low conductive iron trash without losing the good stuff. This is good news for detecting in Canada, especially where I live (B.C. & highly mineralized). There are a few freshwater lakes here that (because of mineralization) are a reall bear to hunt with a vlf. Now, Minelab BBS & FBS owners need not jump in with claims of how they could handle the ground, they can't, period (been tested).? Now, all that's left is PI.... but we all know about PI's & iron. Well it looks like the new Garrett offers a solution. Maybe not a complete one, but better than the alternatives. While gold jewellery offers the big ticket stuff, there's nothing wrong with popping $1 & $2 coins. Zinc pennies read good while copper doesn't. Oh, well, can't win them all. Anyway, that's about all..Willy.? ? ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willy

Re: Hunting in Canada, use an Infinium, here's why..

Okay, turns out I made a bit of an error. Looks like most of what I posted still holds but... the $1 & $2 coins read as iron low-hi until the disc. is advanced to about 4. At that point the $1 coin suddenly turns into a hi-low low conductor & at 6 the $2 coin follows suit. Even at 6 I could still pick up all the rings, though the smallest one was losing a lot of strength. ..Willy.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Hi Willy
You forgot the silver. Old silver coins(as well as copper) can not be detected with the hi-low tones. Some folks in the US just use low high for coin shooting silver and copper (with large iron) as this tone will not detect aluminium.

Have fun
George

OP
OP
W

Willy

Hi George.? ? I hear ya. One of the unfortunate things about silver coins is that there are few years that are really valuable, and then only if they're in really good condition. Then there's the problem of actually selling them & getting a good price.? Also, up here in Canada, there doesn't seem to be as much silver. The thing is, a $1 or $2 coin is instant cash, and a substantial amount. Gold rings 'n things can be sold for scrap (& a nice profit). I have a whole heap of silver coins that ain't worth much (face value). Seeing that they're predominantly dimes & quarters, playing the percentages leaves me better off concentrating on the lower conductors. Sad but true... Willy.? ?

OP
OP
W

Willy

Some more results

just finished testing a silver quarter & dime. Found that the dime will switch conductivity reading to low at a setting of 8, while a quarter still reads high at iron check. I'll do a bit more experimenting later to see what I can do about the quarter. ..Willy.

N

Noble Metal

Willy, in all subjects, what is your opinion of how the Infinium is in comparrision to the CZ-20.....
Thanks, Noble Metal.

OP
OP
W

Willy

Hey!! This is a question I can answer (more or less) from personal experience. I've never had a CZ20 BUT.. I did have a CZ6a which was used to prospect up in Alaska. Now, when people think of prospecting machines, the CZ's don't immediately come to mind. Same here. It was through a series of mischances that I ended up prospecting in the Brooks Range (N. Ak., abt 280 miles S. of the Arctic Ocean) with my CZ6a. Well, this area is highly mineralized (86+ on the MXT gnd vdi) & it also has another weird ground affect that causes high freq. machines (even the CZ in normal mode) to exhibit terrible overshoot behavior, to the point of being unuseable. There were 2 guys up there with Minelab SD2200d's who were hauling out some big nuggets at depth. I didn't get to hunt much 'cause I was busy repairing stuff. It also took me a while to figure out that I needed to hunt in salt mode (like the CZ20) and when I did... WOW! I was hunting through areas already detected by the other 2 guys (more than once) and hauling out nuggets left right & centre. One memorable 7 dwt nugget was hauled out of a dig hole in the bottom of the creek & had a large rusty nail right next to it. I couldn't help but rub it in upon arriving back at the cabin. The second time up there was with the MXT & another guy had an Infinium. The MXT w. the 5x10" struggled a bit with the ground but did good, getting smaller stuff than the CZ w. 10.5" coil but not as deep. The Infinium, on the other hand was digging down to China. Egad!! it made me sick. If I could have had one , it would have been glory days. The Garrett only had the stock coil & couldn't find the real small stuff, but went deeeeep. That sold me right there. Comparing the 2 machines, I'd say that the Infinium, in mineralized ground, goes considerably deeper, ID's big iron deeper, but is harder to use & won't pick up the really tiny stuff. The CZ on the other hand will go deeper than any other vlf I saw up there, though not near what the Garrett could do, will find surprisingly small nuggets and, in conjunction with the tone ID, can be used to sort through a lot of trash. I could almost guarantee that a signal, when checked with the ID, that gave a strong reading & ID'ed low, was iron trash. Granted, it could have been covering a nugget, but there was definitely iron down there. Dug most of it anyway, but near the end I had enough confidence (& too little time) to leave it undug. I ended up selling the CZ (regret doing so now) & when packing it up included a tiny nugget that could be detected with the 10.5" coil as proof of sensitivity. Judging from what I know about the CZ & the Infinium I'd say The CZ would dig up more big, deep iron than the Infinium, but less of the smaller stuff & less depth in tough soil. The Infinium would get much greater depth in tough soil, dig less big iron, but as a consequence of disc.ing out that big iron would lose a fair amount of silver. Both units seem able to knock out some small iron with the nod going to the CZ. Some of the stuff that can't be disc.ed out with the Infinium will give the characteristic double beep & can be ID'ed. So, i suppose, the choice comes down to raw insane depth (Infinium), or overall superior ease of use & generally better ID.(CZ). ...Willy.? ? ? ?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Hi Willy
I always wondered how the Ferrous Hound would work with the Infinium.? Using low high tones and then check the signal for large iron with the mag- so you would be just digging copper and silver and no aluminium. It raises interesting issues as a lot of Canadian coinage is magnetic and would be hit by a mag.

I use this mag sensor clipped to my X-5 to check rock specimens in mine dumps. Excellent hot rock- or high iron content indicator-when I find a rock specimen that zings with my X-5 I just hit it with the mag and if no mag response-ore specimen.
Unfortunately this magnetometer is not very sensitive to small very thin flat iron so it is not an all purpose machine but it is used in OZ with PIs to offer some iron determination. Iron objects with shape e.g. bolts, screws are detected the deepest.

Haven't heard from Dave in a year?so no idea when the Pulse Devil will ever be completed. I imagine some Oz companies will probably beat him to the punch with some discriminating PIs.

Well looks like a long winter Willy- hope some interesting detectors are introduced? this winter.

George

OP
OP
W

Willy

Hey George, one thing I never tried, but shoulda, is using a TR for ore sampling & detecting around trash piles. Had a Garrett Scorpion which, amongst other things, had a true TR mode. The original Lobo also had one. Supposedly, according to some old geezers on other forums ;) , the TR detectors had superior trash handling characteristics. Being capable of true non-motion discrimination makes for incredible separation in trash. One of the disadvantages though is sensitivity to mineralization & having to keep the search head at a constant height. Also, a TR, in zero disc., can be used for ore sampling. Monte contributing on another forum re. the Scorpion has got me thinking. Might just get a used one, tear it apart & put the guts into a waterproof case. Would make for a killer water machine; more sensitive than any other on the market. ..Willy.?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread