sand layers at the beach

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach material is composed of different size particles..fine sand to shells. The "fines" can, and usually are, carried by the wind. The coarse stuff needs more force to move. Being as wind won't blow a silver coin, it's unlikely you'll find one in the middle of fine sand. Picture a creek..in a flash flood, even boulders get moved. As an aside, on Florida east coast beaches, the NET transport of beach material (sand) is south, due to wave action. About 200,000 yds3 past any given point in a year. Thats why sand builds up on the north side of stabilized inlets, and erodes on the south side.

OP
OP
C

CaptainZossima

So, is it better to detect on the North side of an inlet near the low tide line, or the south side near the high tide line? Thanks. CZ.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't been doing this too long, but I did stay at a Holiday..never mind. Studied beach movement in college, particularly the stabilization of Ponce Inlet. Sand buildup on the north side is from material carried laterally south by wave action. I don't believe heavy objects move laterally much, just in and out. Really big storms (hurricanes) that pass south of a particular site may move stuff north. Northeasters in winter tend to erode areas near the dune line, but prevailing light winds in the summer (from the south) tend to build up dunes from wind driven fines. I've seen tires (possibly from the 1715 fleet?) buried 3-4 feet, so the really dense stuff must be halfway to China. Lessee, what wuz the question? My preference would be south of the inlet, cuz there is no sand moving south to replace it. 'couse it helps if there's a wreck close by.

Bill

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capt., DOes your sand disappear in the winter and re-appear in the summer? If so, you want to be hunting when the rocks just start to show. This means you are generally at the layer most things can't penetrate. if you have a beach that is mostly sand with and area of patchy rocks, head for the rocks. It's not easy to dig through, but you will find that generally you will find much more around these areas. I have a beach i watch regularly and when the storms come in, I'm dodging the rain drops to be the first one out there.
As for your original question, what you should concentrate on on most beaches is either the very low tide areas, in the water to your thighs or higher if you don't have tides (where people swim), or work the cut of the beach and 3-4' below it. About 3 mos ago I found my first 18 Kt and Pt. ring using this method. You may not get many hits, but the ones you do get will be worthwhile. I just went on my lunch hr. to work the beach and was working some sand that the bulldozers had piled up to make a berm. I got two 6 oz weights and a 1913 Wheatie. Don't ever underestimate places you wouldn't normally look when the other spots become sparse.
Happy holidays, now get to working those cuts! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread