Hunted a different beach today to avoid any more strange medallions...found 18 K

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
and would you believe it...two more medallions! :o

Heavy fog enveloped a terribly sanded - in beach late morning, but I found a promising area ( trough) and wet sand so I worked it to the bone for 3 hrs.

First find was a "4 -leaf clover" medallion...a good start 8)

Was finding clads, & miscellaneous items including another medallion ( ornate) during the next 2 1/2 hrs . before recovering a nice Tiger's Eye ( I think that's what the stone is...not sure) 18 K ring in the trough.

The GT surprisingly gave off a mid-high tone...not at all like the usual gold sound I've heard in the past...but it was a solid, confined tone ..... was surprised to see the ring in the scoop contents .

The spoon dates back to the mid-late 1800's according to this info I found on the net re: H& T Mfg . Co.:

H & T MFG CO

H&T Mfg Co stands for Holmes & Tuttle Manufacturing. Holmes & Tuttle started in 1851 in Connecticut. In 1857, Bristol Brass & Clock purchased them. In 1901, the name was changed to American Silver Company and remained that until 1935 when it was purchased by International Silver.

Here's some pics ; I'm going to clean up the two medallions and repost improved pics of them.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

Upvote 0

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
Great finds Lorraine. :icon_thumleft: I too, dig everything with the GT. I have the 180 meter on mine and I still
dig most hits. The only ones I don't, are the obvious cans and large trash. If you have time post the "clean up's" of your finds, I like seeing the "before" and "after" results. Doc said I can get out swinging after I finish cardiac rehab in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll see you swinging the GT, and Hank swinging his clubs.
regards
Ed

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
creeker42 said:
Great finds Lorraine. :icon_thumleft: I too, dig everything with the GT. I have the 180 meter on mine and I still
dig most hits. The only ones I don't, are the obvious cans and large trash. If you have time post the "clean up's" of your finds, I like seeing the "before" and "after" results. Doc said I can get out swinging after I finish cardiac rehab in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll see you swinging the GT, and Hank swinging his clubs.
regards
Ed

I wish you the best of health, Ed; I'll be looking for you out there soon.

Lorraine

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did i start something???????? tones this and tones that :dontknow:

about 100% of newbies believe there detector can distinguish trash from good finds and and i would bet 90% of seasoned detectorists believe they know what gold(yes, i know the cool low tone for the excal) will sound like and which tones/target#s they need to dig and which they dont!
my motto is "you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!"
many many people do not realize what size(large and small) and high kt value can do to there tone/id
i even get selective and lazy when i get tired!

my only intent was to answer Lorraine's question as to why the different than usual tone for her find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:

about 100% of newbies believe there detector can distinguish trash from good finds and and i would bet 90% of seasoned detectorists believe they know what gold(yes, i know the cool low tone for the excal) will sound like and which tones/target#s they need to dig and which they dont!
my motto is "you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!"
many many people do not realize what size(large and small) and high kt value can do to there tone/id

my only intent was to answer Lorraine's question as to why the different than usual tone for her find.

Seeker, personally I don't think you started anything except a good discussion..

While the Excal and Sov have many different tones, I personally dig everything that is a solid tone, on the ones that I thought "thats gold" I was right, but those times are rare.

I agree with you, :headbang: the size, Kt value, base metals used with it and even the way it is laying in the ground can affect how it sounds.... Anyone who thinks they can just dig the gold tones is fooling theirselves and leaving the gold for those of us who dig it all ;D......

I have 2 Sov GTs and 2 Excals and there is a small difference in the tones between each, the headsets on one of my Excals has a different headphone from the stock headphone spliced on it and the both of my Sov GT's each have different headphones.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
seeker41 said:

Seeker, personally I don't think you started anything except a good discussion..

While the Excal and Sov have many different tones, I personally dig everything that is a solid tone, on the ones that I thought "thats gold" I was right, but those times are rare.

I agree with you, :headbang: the size, Kt value, base metals used with it and even the way it is laying in the ground can affect how it sounds.... Anyone who thinks they can just dig the gold tones is fooling theirselves and leaving the gold for those of us who dig it all ;D......

I have 2 Sov GTs and 2 Excals and there is a small difference in the tones between each, the headsets on one of my Excals has a different headphone from the stock headphone spliced on it and the both of my Sov GT's each have different headphones.

thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread