Slow starting out..........................

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been so busy remodeling my Granny Cottage, I haven't been making it out to metal detect. I gave painting a rest and made it out there this am. I've been working out a little, so that and mounting the battery pack on my belt, made a big difference. I'm not even sore today, though ran out of change for the meter, so had to leave in an hour.

I attached the car key to my goodie bag with a security tie, before leaving the house....then slammed the door shut on the truck, forgetting my goodie bag inside. Lucky for the hidden backup key.............lol. Once out there....I discovered I forgot my volume control for the ear buds, in the truck. I decided to go without ears , as there was no one to disturb this morning.

Today was a lot different................the beach looked nice and clean....not a huge amount of trash. And there was only one other detectorist out there at 6am, though he was covering a lot of ground much faster than I.

I enjoyed myself though, finding a bit of clad. The sunrise, with the beach all to yourself is magnificent.

I really am enjoying my machine. It finds the coins very well and really has no learning curve. I almost hate to post the pics of todays finds, but it is what it is.
Joy

Attachments

• Picture 98.jpg
    Picture 98.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HRA - You've got to start somewhere. Don't fool yourself into thinking everyone else went out the first time and hit the big find, if they did it was pure luck.
Good luck with it...

HH

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Joy, you've been busy! Glad that you found some time to detect.

You found more than I do on many days...good luck on your next hunt.

Lorraine

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the encouragement. I am slowly, but surely going to have to try some different beaches and different times. I just happen to like early morning, but would also do evenings, if and when a detecting buddy wants to do that.

I tried the detector on wet sand, and had no problem with static, though I don't want to push it, as it's not meant to be dunked in water.
Joy

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a Bad day at all, I have had similar days....and took me 3 months to find my first gold......What would help is to hookup with one of the Pro's down there..You can learn so much from just talking and watching..Most are willing to share secrets of the beach.......

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks..............Several folk have given me very good advice. I think it's just going to be a matter of putting in the time, and also eventually getting a 'water' model.
Joy

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
harleyroadangel said:
I've been so busy remodeling my Granny Cottage, I haven't been making it out to metal detect. I gave painting a rest and made it out there this am. I've been working out a little, so that and mounting the battery pack on my belt, made a big difference. I'm not even sore today, though ran out of change for the meter, so had to leave in an hour.

I attached the car key to my goodie bag with a security tie, before leaving the house....then slammed the door shut on the truck, forgetting my goodie bag inside. Lucky for the hidden backup key.............lol. Once out there....I discovered I forgot my volume control for the ear buds, in the truck. I decided to go without ears , as there was no one to disturb this morning.

Today was a lot different................the beach looked nice and clean....not a huge amount of trash. And there was only one other detectorist out there at 6am, though he was covering a lot of ground much faster than I.

I enjoyed myself though, finding a bit of clad. The sunrise, with the beach all to yourself is magnificent.

I really am enjoying my machine. It finds the coins very well and really has no learning curve. I almost hate to post the pics of todays finds, but it is what it is.
Joy

Don't feel bad about forgetting some things. My hunting buddy got to the beach and forgot his detector, at least you got to detect.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
For sure don't feel bad about forgetting things. My son and I went fishing yesterday. We used minnows for bait and he held them between his feet from the bait shop to the boat dock.

We loaded the boat, put it in the water, and went three miles down the lake to our favorite fishing hole. Got our anchors all set grabbed my fishing pole and said son pass me the bait. All of a sudden he's got this real stupid look on his face and I asked him what was the matter and he replied the minnows was still setting on the floor board of the truck three miles back up the lake. :dontknow:

It happens to us all , age has nothing to do with it, but I'm still going to have some fun.

Wished I had a nickle for everytime I've forgotten something, I wouldn't even need a metal detector, I'd be loaded with nickles. I've learned to laugh at it, might as well it doesn't get any better.

Just keep hunting, sounds like your enjoying yourself and that what it's really about. Have fun.Rick :coffee2:

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
For sure don't feel bad about forgetting things. My son and I went fishing yesterday. We used minnows for bait and he held them between his feet from the bait shop to the boat dock.

We loaded the boat, put it in the water, and went three miles down the lake to our favorite fishing hole. Got our anchors all set grabbed my fishing pole and said son pass me the bait. All of a sudden he's got this real stupid look on his face and I asked him what was the matter and he replied the minnows was still setting on the floor board of the truck three miles back up the lake. :dontknow:

It happens to us all , age has nothing to do with it, but I'm still going to have some fun.

Wished I had a nickle for everytime I've forgotten something, I wouldn't even need a metal detector, I'd be loaded with nickles. I've learned to laugh at it, might as well it doesn't get any better.

Just keep hunting, sounds like your enjoying yourself and that what it's really about. Have fun.Rick :coffee2:

What did you guys do........go back or use lures? Lol.................
Joy

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I agree with all the posts you have already recieved. Just hang in there and keep at it. As for that other MD'er that was covering a lot of ground.... you will find more if you go slow, keep your coil close AND LEVEL with the ground as much as possible. Don't do a wide "golf" swing! Watch the beach cam and you will see where the people like to go and you will do just fine. BUT sometimes think out of the box and hunt areas where young couples like to "cuddle" or hide from the rest. Sometimes you find some nice items there! Go for it!

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
harleyroadangel said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:

Just keep hunting, sounds like your enjoying yourself and that what it's really about. Have fun. Rick :coffee2:

What did you guys do........go back or use lures? Lol.................
Joy

My son was so disgusted with himself he just wanted to go home. I told him not to sweat it, it was what it was. We went back and got the bait and fished closer to the dock area, but his heart just wasn't in it, so we didn't stay long and went home.

I know how he felt as I used to really get upset with myself when in my mid 40's I started doing a lot of that, then one evening my wife went over to the small local store for something and was in a hurry to get back to watch a movie on TV. Well there was a driving rain coming down about that time and she had to rush into the house. When the movie was over she went to lock up the house to go to bed and she started looking around the house . I asked her what she was looking for and she said she could not find her keys.. I told her to check outside to see if she dropped them . She came back in with a really up set look on her face and I said whats the matter and she showed me her keys and said the car had been setting there running for the last two hours, and from that day on I never let my forgetfulness get to me again as I knew then I wasn't the only one on that sinking ship.

Wait till he gets closer to my age and you can't remember things long enough to get to the next room. Rick :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions