Question of the Day with alittle humor.

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is it skill or is it luck, that is the question?
Although knowing your machine, the environment, the crowd patterns, and the way the sands change everything daily is all obviously important.
My opinion is, it all boils down to luck in the end. You can have a nuclear powered what-cha-ma-call-it, boosted by 8 optima car batteries with a 3' diameter coil and 1" monster cable feeding your subsonic headphones. BUT if you are not where the drop happened within the 200 square miles of beach that your hunting and you don't hit that 1" area that has the goodies in it, well then it is what it is.

Have more fun with it, and don't sweat the rest...
HH

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple .............Skill (Wisdom),............. look at Over Kill Over Kill,........................................... Sorry, No offence OverKill

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
OldeBeechnut said:
Simple .............Skill (Wisdom),............. look at Over Kill Over Kill,........................................... Sorry, No offence OverKill

I'm thinking 50/50, but that was a good example. Lol

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing your machine well and listening for faint signals is very important but walking over the target is more important which is what I call LUCK.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
IMHO, it is 90% skill and 10% luck. Even a blind hog find a peanut once in a while, but that happens far less often then the hog who uses his skill to search it out..... The blind hogs don't last very long either. HH, Ralph

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a thought.......one day with "fluffy" in the water, going back to the car defeated, I run across a 14k white gold princess cut diamond ring, diamonds all over it! I took 5 to 7 steps, and thought, "hey waita minute, wedding rings are usually worn in sets, turned around, and BAM, there was the thin little nothing band, that matched it perfectly. hehehehehehehe. Fluffy said meow, two times!

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Folks, let me point out that I did this just to have a little fun and see the responses.

I am in no way, shape or form taking anything away from the fact that there is skill involved in this hobby and the majority of the people on this site are very skilled and knowledgeable about what they do. And yes I know the next time I ask for help the response will probably be - how lucky do you feel today LOL

HH

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
pat-tekker-cat said:
Here's a thought.......one day with "fluffy" in the water, going back to the car defeated, I run across a 14k white gold princess cut diamond ring, diamonds all over it! I took 5 to 7 steps, and thought, "hey waita minute, wedding rings are usually worn in sets, turned around, and BAM, there was the thin little nothing band, that matched it perfectly. hehehehehehehe. Fluffy said meow, two times!

That's a perfect example of the 1" in 200 square miles I was referring to. You were lucky enough to happen upon it.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah texas, but smart enough to turn around and go back too! Even though I was happy with the first ring and resorted if that was all I found that day, it was good enough. Ain't the first time that's happened either. I trained Fluffy good!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fiddy Fiddy......Skillful luck

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's kinda like investing in stocks - don't confuse genius with a Bull Market.

Taking nothing away from the knowledge and skill of the hunters on this site, luck plays a large role. How else to explain rookie hunters hitting it big?

One day a few weeks ago my brother and I, both rookies, went home with three rings, two gold, one silver, while the 4 big dogs hunting the same beach, at the same time, got only silver coins. Which, by the way, we got those too. So, skill, yes, absolutely, but luck too.

So our lesson - Don't confuse finding three rings on one hunt with knowing what we are doing. Accept the present from The Beach Gods and move on.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Skill,experience,luck,and very much persistence.I know people who others think
lucky,but I've seen them hunt.They go at it with a vengence,for long periods of
time.Like fishing-the more you cast,the more ground covered,the more you catch.
Or as one man put it-"The harder I work,the luckier I get". HH Joe

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
While there are those who think you need to put the coil across the target to find it,they technically would be right. But the hunter needs to know where to swing the coil, otherwise time would be wasted just swinging in hopes to put said coil over a target. The random searcher will do his best to find the gold, they may even succeed. I can't tell you how many times other hunters put me on the goods.
You need to be very observant to others actions while hunting.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it takes "skluck" :tongue3: and a little knowledge and effort doesn't hurt!!!!

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Question of the day with a little humour?.... but hopefully some factual answers?
Buried Crap NJ said:
While there are those who think you need to put the coil across the target to find it,they technically would be right. /quote]
Only technically??? What.... really????

Its neither skill nor luck, its perseverance!

Hit a spot and work EVERY inch, thataway you will find EVERY (almost) target. No skill or luck involved. Its either there to be found, or its not. Then you move on to the next bit of turf and repeat the process.

This so called "working a tight, or loose or whatever W pattern" is another name for a casual walk along a beach, randomly waving a coil around. You would be lucky to cover a third of the beach that you walk over... and will only find accordingly. And yes I've heard all of the reasons for doing this.....
Which is why PI users can disparagingly claim to "walk right behind Excal users and pick up the goodies that they've left behind".
Totally true, but if they're also working the same "W" pattern I could walk right behind them with the cheapest VLF on the market, but as long as I cover EVERY inch of that same area I too will pick up heaps that the super deep PIs have left behind.
So which machine is the best? The VLF or the PI?
Answer.... The machine thats in the hands of the most diligent operator!

So is it skill... or is it luck??? Or maybe just peresrverance???

And while I'm having bit of a rant....

"Be sure to dig those faint , whisper like signals!"

Why?

The suggestion seems to be that they are gold!

Why would they be? All objects, metals of various densities, plus other items, (I have uncovered band aids, or sticking plaster as you might call them in the US, many inches down while hand fanning sand away from a target) sink through the substrate over time.
The faint, whisper like signal is no more likely to be gold than a pulltab. By all means, dig these whispers, but not for any other reason than thats what a diligent operator does.

End of rant.

Lou.

tabjunkie

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,at pro,ace250
I consider it luck just to be in a position to be able to go out and MD at all.( health, finances, etc.)
In fact I believe it was luck that I even stumbled upon this hobby.

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The harder I work the luckier I get!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UncleTom said:
The harder I work the luckier I get!

That's the quote of the day... Heck, a lifetime!!!! Nothing else needs to be said.

This goes for all aspects of our hobby.
Without work on research, you won't find where to go detecting.
Without working to learn the detector, you won't know what its telling you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread