diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll post this here since it seems appropriate. I was near the beach doing a job a few weeks ago and noticed a construction project nearby. I went by there this past weekend and noticed the area had been dug up and was paved over but there were people metal detecting piles of sand nearby and the area was roped off.
Yup the archies are hard at work.
Seems someone found some musketballs and military buttons and a gold coin or two also while the parking lot was being excavated. This is the part that gets me-
Broward’s archaeological ordinance calls for development activities to cease when artifacts are uncovered during development. Why that did not happen at this site is unclear, and city officials familiar with the project had no comment
Here's the rest of the story-

http://www.browardbulldog.org/2011/...y-signal-site-of-an-original-fort-lauderdale/

http://www.local10.com/news/27858910/detail.html

Upvote 0

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sadly, politics may have something to do with it. Developer's big money speaks much louder than the few concerned citizens that may have voiced their concern.

I have seen that happen before. In the late 1990's in Vero Beach, a condo was being developed and workers (and trespassers) started finding artifacts and human remains which would indicate the site was associated with the 1715 shipwreck just offshore. The city government was notified. Nothing was done and now the entire site is covered over with cement.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, diggumup, I didn't see that. They seemed to grind to a halt over the Miami Circle. Years back, all those water inlets had to be crossed, well, best way possible, remember the bare foot postman? The refuge houses along the way.

An artist friend of mine, Ann Tyler,(Belle Glade), wrote a book called Torry Island Boy. It is the story of her husband, Pete Lee, who was the last man to live on Torry Island, up there on Lake Okechobee.

The story starts with his grand-father, travelling from around New Smryna, Turn Bull Swamp, down the coast, with the barefoot postman, to Miami. From Fort Dalls, to the Hallands' country outposts store, gathered supplies, then boated back up the Miami canal, and settled there on Torry Island.

I checked the book, no real treasure clues, but great reading! Pete (rest his soul), would tell stories, of when his dad would take him to beach around Jupiter, early 1900's, they used to find these "black discs" on the beach, and would "skip" them back into the water. They had no clue what they were. I was going put a posts under the reading section.(His dad would note, after the hurricane of 1928, the farmers would plow up someone's bones in the fields, from time to time)

See what you miss not watching tv or reading the paper! I did see they had it all closed down, though.

EL Pirata Loco

Dec 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
RADIO SHACK 1000
Its really sad to see all this construction down here. I never would have thought that South Florida would be so over developed...money hungry projects to clear away natural habitat and history. I would have like to see what the old Florida been 50 years ago.

Too many condos...but still nice if you look around...there are some old history left... =(

AL in North Miami

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread