Dictionary of water detecting terms?

DetectorOCD

Sep 22, 2010
Dallastown, PA
Detector(s) used
TESORO!
Hey guys,
I am a land hunter trying to understand some of the terms I hear for water/beach hunting like "shelf" and "ripple trough" Does anyone have a list of these terms so I can become familiar with them? I didn't have any luck locating such a document. Also, any youtube vids you could recommend for beach techniques.

I'm moving to Florida soon, so I want to be up on my lingo! :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gold Ring , Gold Bracelet, Gold Earring, Gold Chain, Gold Charm,Gold Coins,Gold Bars
and did I say gold! There a bunch of books that are at the 16 dollar mark that will give you a world of info. But you can just read here all you'll ever need. steve

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger's videos on youtube should educate you on a bunch of the terms, plus they are just fun to watch.

This website should help as well. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Just out of curiosity, what part of Florida?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
"In the wet" - sand that's wet.

"In the dry" - sand that's not wet.

"scoop" - Big heavy metal thing for collecting ring pulls.

"eye candy" - anything not male,old or fat, in a bikini.

"Ocean" - Big wet blue,green,brown thing full of sharks.

"Shelf" - In the ocean, when knee deep suddenly becomes 10ft..and you drown.

"Ticket" - A good find.

"A cut" - chunk of sand that's been cut lower than the rest, usually by rough wave action.

"Falsing" - What you discover your detector's doing after you've dug a 4ft hole or ventured onto black (mineralized) sand.

"Hot rock" - A large stone that tries to persuade you it's a gold ring.

"Dickheads" - Teenagers who throw small denomination coins in your path and think it's the funniest thing ever.

"Hooka" - Portable floating oxygen device for dive detecting. Generally used by jet skis as a race start/finishing point.

"Dolphin/Porpoise" - Not a shark..but will make your a$$ tighten up just as quick when spotted.

So...there ya go. You're all set. :thumbsup:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:

"Ticket" - A good find.

"A cut" - chunk of sand that's been cut lower than the rest, usually by rough wave action.

"Falsing" - What you discover your detector's doing after you've dug a 4ft hole or ventured onto black (mineralized) sand.

"Dickheads" - Teenagers who throw small denomination coins in your path and think it's the funniest thing ever.

"Hooka" - Portable floating oxygen device for dive detecting. Generally used by jet skis as a race start/finishing point.

"Dolphin/Porpoise" - Not a shark..but will make your a$$ tighten up just as quick when spotted.

HILARIOUS!!!!! and spot on!

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Dano Sverige said:

"Ticket" - A good find.

Great - hilarious - universal beach huntin lingo - lol!!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great answer Dano. That was the funniest post I have read in a long time and all true. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
See..it's just a malicious rumour that i spend all my time on Tnet just making Americans angry, i can do "funny" too! :tongue3:
Glad it made ya smile. :)

Ignore me DetectorOCD mate, i was bored and passing the time, lol. Most folks on here are helpful and very informative when you have questions, which is probably better and quicker as i'm not sure there is a terminology book available. Hope i've not scarred you for life? :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
Surfdigger's videos on youtube should educate you on a bunch of the terms, plus they are just fun to watch.

This website should help as well. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Just out of curiosity, what part of Florida?

Be sure to check out this site Willie D gave you, it has a ton of valuable info for you........

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
See..it's just a malicious rumour that i spend all my time on Tnet just making Americans angry, i can do "funny" too! :tongue3:
Glad it made ya smile. :)

Ignore me DetectorOCD mate, i was bored and passing the time, lol. Most folks on here are helpful and very informative when you have questions, which is probably better and quicker as i'm not sure there is a terminology book available. Hope i've not scarred you for life? :wink:
Dano,
You are just TOO much! ROFLMBO! Don't worry about the scarring, the fur covers it up! (yep, ruin't for men, women, and animals) ;D

I hate it when them dophins sidle up next to ya, causing self inflected heart attack!
Great posts Dano! I can't add nothing to that, but a good laugh! kudos, my friend! :laughing9:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Ha ha ha!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

That IS funny Dano!

I gotta laugh, that all those definitions are true makes it that much funnier!

Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread