Greenie
Jun 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Upvote 0

jspero

Jul 25, 2006
East Coast USA
I'll be down there in mid-September, so I'll let you know how I do (I'm bringing dry and wet detectors). I haven't decided whether to get in the water or stay in between the high and low tide lines. Last time I was "down the ocean" was about 10 years ago and I stayed in the dry sand. I mostly found some clad, a few toy cars, and a LOT of trash. My dad was in the "lane" and found a couple of rings and a few coins. I must note that we were swinging the detectors like weedwhackers at the time (it was our first time out with them), so we probably missed a lot.

Any idea where you'll be? I'm going to be somewhere along the boardwalk depending on where we decide to stay.

Good luck!

Jay

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to hunt depends on the time of day when you arrive and the tides. Seems when I hunt the wet sand, someone finds a Rolex in the dry sand.

HH<
Sandman

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box

I thinking about making a trip down there do you think it would be worth it?

When I lived in Gaithersburg, MD I used to go to Ocean city to detect.I took 3 hr. driving each way. When arrive to Ocean City, 7:00am, there was more than 7 guys detecting before than me.That happened every time I went there.

If you're asking is it worth to trip down there?......it's waste time

Amona

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are always replenished. So you never know what you will find. O.C. MD does use a beach sweeper and I don,t find much in the cleaning path. That being said, they don,t clean everywhere. The best tips I can give are:
1. Go 2 hours before low tide to 2 hours after. Sunday mornings or just after a holiday weekend are best. Older stiff may be found after storms.
2. If that is in the morning 6 to 10 A.M. great.
3. Run as hot as you can to get depth.
4. Use a detector with at least a waterproof coil.
5. Get a sandscoop, preferably one for wet sand.
6. Search the wet sand first. Then the just past the dividing line on the dry side. finally all the dry sand, key spots being activity areas, volley ball courts etc. (look for sand castles and depressions).
7. Dig it all, it,s not that hard.
8. Where to go, believe it or not any beach area from Assateague to Cape Henlopen can be good. All beaches not private are OK. The state owned ones have various other rules but can be detected at times.
9. In O.C. just follow the crowds. Finds in O. C. are generally modern coins and jewelry.

Man I get going on about the beaches, I will have to go down there this Sunday come hell or high water! ;)

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread