What kind of video camera equipment for salt water?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I have seen so many good videos of salt water hunts and was hoping some of you could give me help on the kinds of equipment you use and how to protect it from the salt elements. I do have a 15 megapixel Canon camera with video capability, but am worried about the adverse effects of the salt mist on it. Thanks in advance....STUART

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt spray isn't good on my Nikon either but it does nice video if you have it on a tripod. Suggest you look at the Tachyon XC as a waterproof cam. http://www.tachyoninc.com/

Kodak Playsport is nice too.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Thanks for the info Sandman. Tachyon looks interesting and very reasonable on cost. I will read more on it. I do quite a few weddings with my canon cameras but hate to expose such expensive equipment to the elements. Although a good picture is worth a thousand words, I know very little about video cameras. I was beginning to think no one was going to post on the subject.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't plan on dunking the camera you don't have to get fancy. A Flip camera is inexpensive and produces great results. I use one to send beach hunting videos to friends and family. Others here use them to post to You Tube or Facebook. There is a waterproof version of either the Flip or one of it's near competitors from Nikon or Kodak. All give good results. Simple to use as well.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Thanks tjc45. :notworthy:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Go Pro HD is a very popular one with divers and skateboarders, that has an underwater housing, HD video, easy to use, shock proof, and has all kinds of mounting options, helmet mount, tripod mount, speargun mount, facemask mount, etc. It is very small, yet can take hours of video, all in HD. They do take good video.

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
+1 on the GoPro HD. I just ordered one and got it yesterday for my Florida trip. Comes with a strap for your head, mounts to mount inside a vehicle (I do storm tracking so now I don;t have to fiddle with a camera, just set and go) as well as mounts for a surfboard if you are so inclined.

I also race/build large 1/4 scale R/C cars so it has a lot of potential uses and they are pretty much bulletproof in their design..

A little pricey, but very well worth the extra $50-60.

stevemc said:
The Go Pro HD is a very popular one with divers and skateboarders, that has an underwater housing, HD video, easy to use, shock proof, and has all kinds of mounting options, helmet mount, tripod mount, speargun mount, facemask mount, etc. It is very small, yet can take hours of video, all in HD. They do take good video.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Magnum164 said:

What is the final cost of the GoPro system, and can you load it into Windows Movie Maker? Thanks!

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
Terry Soloman said:
Magnum164 said:

What is the final cost of the GoPro system, and can you load it into Windows Movie Maker? Thanks!

I got mine from Best Buy online, its on sale for now $239 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960. If you want the wriststrap, they are on backorder from GroPro and Best Buy, I got mine from L.L. Bean on its way.

As far as Windows Movie Maker I will try later today other's may already know, but it creates a mp4 file.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. I am going to check out the Go Pro cameras. I sure missed one of my best video moments yesterday. Could have gotten pictures of my first diamond ring find and the young womans happiness as I returned her rings to her. Great moments missed. Had to settle for a phone camera still shot. Picture is on todays finds forum. I will not miss a video chance like that again. :'(

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
search and recovery said:
Thanks guys. I am going to check out the Go Pro cameras. I sure missed one of my best video moments yesterday. Could have gotten pictures of my first diamond ring find and the young womans happiness as I returned her rings to her. Great moments missed. Had to settle for a phone camera still shot. Picture is on todays finds forum. I will not miss a video chance like that again. :'(

Need to point out it will work with just about any SD card but you will wan't a class 4 or better which are not cheap. It does not come with a card, unless you select another package.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Been using the Tachyon for over 3 years now, I like the fact I can capture the audio with it. Has alot to do with the way it's mounted. ..they now have the 2011 HD model Tachyons, but the batteries only last for a little over 4 hours, which is better then the GO-Pro at 2.5 hours (plus go-pro takes a few hours for a recharge). The Good I like, About Tachyon's and it does cost more, is mine takes AA Batteries, or the rechargeables. Where as the Go-Pro you have to use the Lithium-Ion that is built in, good for only 2.5 hours. I like the AA's cause you can get them anywhere, carry extra for the long day hunts..and capture everything. I see PI Joe, Compass, and a few of the others are using the Tachyons, maybe they will chime in....

first video is with the older 8 hours, 2 AA batteries, 2010 tachyon 640x480

second video is with the new tachyon HD, 2 AA batteries, 4 hours of HD

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
OldeBeechnut said:
Been using the Tachyon for over 3 years now, I like the fact I can capture the audio with it. Has alot to do with the way it's mounted. ..they now have the 2011 HD model Tachyons, but the batteries only last for a little over 4 hours, which is better then the GO-Pro at 2.5 hours (plus go-pro takes a few hours for a recharge).
You can buy the BacPac for the GroPro and get 4 hours charging. It only takes a few hours if you charge by the default USB cable. If you use a standard cell phone charge (Blackberry) or cigarette charger for the car charging time is 80% in one hour. Since I always have a laptop or vehicle nearby I never have to worry about having dead batteries. Plus the lithium batteries are a lot lighter.

OldeBeechnut said:
The Good I like, About Tachyon's and it does cost more, is mine takes AA Batteries, or the rechargeables. Where as the Go-Pro you have to use the Lithium-Ion that is built in, good for only 2.5 hours.

The GroPro HD is not a built in lithium battery, it is replaceable, and if you buy the BacPac you can be charging one battery while the other is charging.

Guess it boils down to preference... :) After being without power for 5 days after the tornadoes I have started making sure all of my batteries are lithium (can stay charged for up to 10 years) and can be rechargeable. I could't find standard batteries anywhere but I could charge anything in my truck or with the generator.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess it boils down to preference...

That's so true, I get in about 30 days a year at the beach, most days are 8+ hours detecting. The Tachyon covers most of this time line with just 2 AA batteries, and it's a lot easier just to change out the batteries after a long day of detecting, 2 20 packs, walmart 10 dollars a pack will cover the 30 days.........

Just checked.......looks like the New Tachyons are going like the go-pro's, lithium batteries and just 2 hours run time........Neither would cover my needs, even with the Bac/Pac....

Ok, Magnum164..lets see some video this summer with that new cam........show me what that Go-Pro can do, or capture.........

Good Luck.see ya on the beach............joe/tim/obn

5 days after the tornadoes
my 5 days after a hurricane, did not miss much..but sure would have liked the cam to have been HD

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
OldeBeechnut said:
Guess it boils down to preference...

Ok, Magnum164..lets see some video this summer with that new cam........show me what that Go-Pro can do, or capture.........

Good Luck.see ya on the beach............joe/tim/obn

Will be on the beach in June....:)

Camera selection was easy. Just got my E-Track today so have to buckle down and start reading..

But will definitely post something..

Take care!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread