Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

The smaller holes in front are great for holding those earring backs or studs.

Attachments

• Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,651
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,519

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
A good scoop will out last your body. Since you are wanting one for wet sand and maybe some water use a strong stainless steel one is best. I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth which are made in two sizes.

As soon as I have found enough booty to pay for one of these Sunspot scoops I am going to get one! I started with a 5" Royal, I'm now using the Reilly's 6" monster. Unfortunately, the little items like beads and earring posts fall through the 1/2" holes, and I like the idea of a pointy digging nose and stainless steel! Great heads-up Sandman!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Soon to be, (make that 2) Diablo ti's....Very Light & Strong

Attachments

• ti grade 5.JPG
    ti grade 5.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 735

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Sandman said:

As soon as I have found enough booty to pay for one of these Sunspot scoops I am going to get one! I started with a 5" Royal, I'm now using the Reilly's 6" monster. Unfortunately, the little items like beads and earring posts fall through the 1/2" holes, and I like the idea of a pointy digging nose and stainless steel! Great heads-up Sandman!

Terrry, I covered the bottom 1/4 of my scoop with a piece of aluminum gutter screen, I glued it on with marine epoxy at the points that were sharp, it now catches earring studs, tiny rivets ect, basically i covered the portion where it would drain last when held at the normal angle for draining....It took care of the problem your talking about...

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. Ill look into those. The spot I have in utah probably does not have a lot of small earrings but when I go to Ventura CA for my yearly vacation im sure there are some down there!!

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wet Sand is tough for any scoop...

It's not bad if you can rinse with water or use the scoop and fling method.

Wet sand just plain doesn't like to sift.

Keep in mind that scoop guys are just like detector guys and just like car guys. If you are a Ford guy Chevy's suck and vice versa. There are several quality scoops available, some better suited to certain situations.

This is the scoop that I use I think it is the best at catching the small stuff, its pretty tough and its made in the USA which for me is a determining factor.

Steve :-)

Attachments

• TINYWK2.jpg
    TINYWK2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 965
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 744
  • front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.jpg
    front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 787
  • front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.jpg
    front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 633
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 637
  • TINYWK2.jpg
    TINYWK2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 642

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You building it OBN? Bet the Ti sheets cost a pretty penney eh?

Cost was about a 100 a sheet, 20 dollars a pound..ebay great price..Been working with a friend Greg on the design of a scoop called Diablo for over a year now, the time is near for production. My input was I wanted a scoop for when I get older..light in weight, can endure the beating of years of use and a fast drainer in any conditions, Plus a hard deep hitter..hence 13 inchs long, 6.5 wide, SS weights in a few ounces under 5lbs, Titanium is hitting around 4 lbs, and the 7075 aluminum is a killer 3 lbs/13 ozs..I used it for my day trip to OC last week, Love that scoop...Should have a couple ti scoops by late june, Sorry no pic's yet, still tied up in the patent office.......

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Got the Ok to post these pic's of the diablo scoop...One other thing I love About this scoop, it hits deep on the first dig, and in 3 your down to 24 inchs...I've always said, the more you dig, the more the chance of losing the target in ruff waters..

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Best of the best scoops on this thread. :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrry, I covered the bottom 1/4 of my scoop with a piece of aluminum gutter screen, I glued it on with marine epoxy at the points that were sharp, it now catches earring studs, tiny rivets ect, basically i covered the portion where it would drain last when held at the normal angle for draining....It took care of the problem your talking about...
[/quote]

That, is a great heads up! Thank you!

marinemike72

May 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur and Soverign
Treasure-hunter:
Thanks for the tip...I'm going to do that w/my scoop...I'll bet you recover more chains also....

Mike

marinemike72

May 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Oldbeachnut:
Any settled price on this beautiful piece of equipment? You'll get a pretty penny from me for it...looks top quality to me!!!!

Mike

marinemike72

May 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Max:
I think I'll try back mounting my Excal...loks to be real easy on the arm.... :icon_thumright:

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, the DIABLO looks mighty fine. If it had a Miller looped handle I would change. For the saltwater though I'd want the 8" wide of the Sunspot, but then there goes the weight. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Joe, the DIABLO looks mighty fine. If it had a Miller looped handle I would change. For the saltwater though I'd want the 8" wide of the Sunspot, but then there goes the weight. :laughing7:

OBN it does look nice, but like Sandman, for working in the water I would want it wider.....My Beachbrute is 8.5 inches wide, if I switched I would be losing 2 inches of the width which is about 25% of the width, for me that is to much to lose when hunting in the surf.......Are you only going to be making the one 6.5 inch model or will there be a wider model.... (8.5-10 inch)...?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I use the smaller Sunspot Stealth now because of the weight issue. I epoxyed two magnets just back from the small holes on the point of the Sunspot to catch those small items that sometimes get past the magnets to fall through again. See the earring stud?

Attachments

• Nikon1_025.JPG
    Nikon1_025.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sandman, and Treasure Hunter..All of us have to hookup someday for a story telling session.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for ALL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions