Newb Seeking Pro Scoop Advice

Mr. Cotta

Jun 27, 2007
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Well, this is my first post in a long time. I've been a land detectorist for about six years now, off and on. I've always wanted to get involved with beach and water detecting, but didn't find much of a reason to because of my location. I live about 35 minutes NE of Cincinnati, OH...which is not exactly a coastal region. But this summer I'll be doing quite a bit of traveling which will give me opportunities to detect some beach and water areas (East coast & Great Lakes). Then in January I'll be moving my family to a coastal city in Africa. All that to say this: I just bought an Excalibur II. I should have it by June 1st, and I can't wait to put it to work!

I've been looking at a bunch of different scoops online for a few weeks now. I know the Sunspot Stealth is a favorite among many of you, and I can tell it is one of the best, if not THE best scoop on the market today. So I think I've narrowed my scoop scope to two scoops. (Say that 10 times.) I'm either going to buy the Stealth, or this other one I found on eBay. It's made by a company called Altona Equipment in MN. The scoop design is laid out a lot like the Stealth, but with some noticeable differences. The major one being that the handle will go on the outside, not the inside of the scoop. The Altona scoop will use a post hole digger that I'll have to buy separately...one with a square end to fit into the scoop. The handle mounts at a 20° angle. Another big difference is price—it's $110 with free shipping. 14GA Stainless Steel, 7" wide, 6" high, 10.5" deep, 3lbs (not including a handle).

I guess my questions are: Has anyone used this exact scoop, and if so, is it any good? What are your thoughts between this Altona scoop and the Sunspot Stealth?

Here is the link to the listing on eBay for the Altona scoop, where you'll find the pictures: http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINLESS-STEEL...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d596785#ht_1003wt_907

Thank you very much for your help!! -Michael Carter, aka, Mr. Cotta

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The draw back to that scoop is the narrow foot plate. It is very hard to keep your foot on the step plate in any kind of rough water or current. I just bought the real or the other Proscoop but I ordered it with the square step plate and there is a big difference. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html

The smaller holes allow for fast draining while holding smaller targets. I am very pleased with the one I ordered. They also have a new one coming out called the Grave Digger.

Chuck

OP
OP
Mr. Cotta

Mr. Cotta

Jun 27, 2007
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Can Slaw, thanks for the reply. I know this topic has been popping up a lot, and people are probably tired of thinking or talking about it. :) I've not heard of the site or scoop you mentioned, but I'm about to look into it. Thanks!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I looked hard at all of the available water scoops. Went with the sunspot because of the larger scoop size (8 x 12 inch basket). The larger size means that you can recover your target in less scoops. After the first scoop in surf, your odds of recovering the target drop quickly. Nothing is more frustrating than loosing a good target to a water hunter. Next to your detector the scoop you choose is your most important tool, and it has to be built to last. There are good several good ones to choose from and you are on the right track looking at all of your options. Just do not let a few dollars keep you from getting the best you can afford. It will probably outlast your detector if you buy a very good one, or you will be replacing it before next season if you go cheap. Looks like you are looking at the better ones out there so good luck and HH...Let us know which one you get and how you like it. Nothing like first hand infomation.

OP
OP
Mr. Cotta

Mr. Cotta

Jun 27, 2007
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
I appreciate all the help. I'll be buying one in the next day or two. Most of my hunting with it will be in shallow to waist deep water, and I know I need to take that into consideration. I definitely want one that will hold up to the wear & tear...and also one that will give me a very good chance of recovery on the first scoop. Thanks for the input.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just ordered the 8inch Sunspot Stealth from Mike at Woodland Detectors. :icon_thumright:

I think Ill like it.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Altona scoop pictured with the 20 degree angle. I've gotten used to the narrow push plate. I use it both in rocky and sandy bottoms. Is a good scoop for the money. The only mod I made was to put the blade end in a vice and flatten it slightly. This seems to help the recovery of targets off the marel bottoms here in Indiana. Good luck. Kevin

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Pro Scoop and put a modified Beach Brute Handle. I love it.

Attachments

• Stainless Scoop.jpg
    Stainless Scoop.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 333
  • Stainless Scoop.jpg
    Stainless Scoop.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 292

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread