Sand scoop help

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zele makes some good scoops. I like the Stealth by Sunspot Products in Michigan. It works fine in all bottom types and has a long floating wood handle that takes lots of hard use without harm. Extremely strong stainless steel.

http://www.sunspotedm.com/beachscoops/

HH,
Sandman

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 526
  • STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 316
  • STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 350
  • STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 365

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If money is tight then build my scoop for ten dollars. Go to a feed store and buy a galvanized grain scoop, go to hardware and buy a 8 foot section of EMT (electrical metal tube). Have hardware store bend the tube into the shape of a U. Buy some stainless steel 1 1/4" bolts and two 2" bolts with locknuts plus washers. Take a 3/8" drill bit and drill sifting holes in the scoop but don't drill the back until the handle is installed. Drill out the rivets on the scoop handle and enlrge holes to 1/4". Lay handle alongside EMT and match its length plus one inch. Mash that last inch flat then bend it down at a right angle. At the other mark, beat it flat and bend it to match the area where the grain scoop handle was. Take a scrap piece of EMT, from the other end, to use as a cross beam as the grain scoop was. You'll want to measure the other end so it lines up with the bottom and then hacksaw off the excess. Drill your holes to assemble everything. Drill your 3/8" holes on scoop back.
This scoop lasted me about 8 years until I found enough to buy a $200 scoop.
Good luck.

Harry

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry,

I would sure like to see a picture of your homemade scoop. Can you post one? It sounds interesting.

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread