Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering about the hookah ,how many people use them or have used them in the past? I know Sandman and a few others have. I am thinking about getting one of the lower cost battery operated ones for shallow water dives around the outer /inner banks. I have been told about an area with a lot of old bottles on the bottom and it seems you could really clean house if you could slowly search .
I grew up on the water and have always wanted to get into some type of diving . Once when I was a kid I had the amazing Idea to go diving for treasure with about 25 foot of garden hose..Yea did not work too hot.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have several, and they are great. I only have used the gasoline powered ones, I have a 110 volt one too, but havent used it. It is like snorkeling, but you can stay down for hours. If you stay in shallow water, you can stay for several hours with no problem. Do study the dive tables, and obey them, as if you tried staying for hours at say 60' feet, you would have a problem-you could get the bends. A hookah is not cumbersome like using tanks, and the air lasts as long as you have gasoline, or batteries or 110 volts.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdman remember the batteries for the electric hooka's weigh a ton. But sometimes the silence of where you need to search outweighs that. I had a friend that used electric hooka to steal props from boats in marinas. If you are researching them don't go too cheap as you get what you pay for. I think gas is better as a fill up takes seconds.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Interesting thread. I was just looking up hookah systems a few minutes ago. I have always wanted to learn diving, and with my new underwater detector it has been on my mind. Maybe the members who have used them could also suggest specific models to use or not use. Great timing.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I will be stealing any props .LOL Where we go to vacation there is a channel right past where every one swims . I find bottles every year and I am sure there is some nice goldies in there also. It don't matter how old I get ,everytime I get around salt water I am transported back in time. I always imagine sailing ships on the horizon and treasure under foot. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread