Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We had our first typhoon of the season on Okinawa yesterday, and I was already planning on heading out to do some hunting... but hadn't firmly committed to anything until the phone rang around 3pm. It was my new friend Jim calling to see if I wanted to go out and hunt with him tonight.

Jim's been here on Okinawa for a few months and hasn't been out hunting yet. He came from Korea where he hunted with Crackbadger and a few others before his contracting job took him to Okinawa. But since being on island, he's been itching to get out. He was already plotting his evening of beach hunting and wanted to get together for a spin while the getting was good.

I spent the day washing all the grass and dirt off of everything, all the while wondering how the local beaches fared from the typhoon. Surely they had some sort of erosion... and Jim had the same idea. "Now's the time to get out" he says.... So we head to Araha beach. It's a popular beach due to its location inbetween 2 military bases and all of the strips of eating joints, bars, and shopping areas. This places gets a LOT of traffic, so if there's goodies to be found, it's here.

I've been on Okinawa about 7 months or so, but this is the first typhoon season I'm getting to experience. I really had no idea what to expect when we got to the beach, but was pleasantly suprised to see a nice 18" cut in the sand that ran the whole stretch of the beach.

Jim hit the vast amount of wet sand that was available, and I focused my search right at the cut.

It wasn't long before the coins started showing up, and I was shocked at the amount of US coinage that I was finding. While I knew that this beach is frequented by Americans, normally they carry Yen to donate to my goodie bag.

Right at the bottom of the cut, I get this large shallow hit, and up comes this nice large silver cross that has some sort of gems in it.

MetalDetecting006.jpg

I finish hunting the length of beach right at cut, then turn around and start my second lap where my first one left off. I hadn't gone more than 30' when I get a nice higher pitch sound on the Excal, and out pops this 14K band.

MetalDetecting001-3.jpg

So now I'm feeling pretty good. It's been a while since I found some gold, so I figured I was due for some today.

Contuining on, I have almost completed my second sweep of the cut, and navigate back up to the higher portion of the cut at the opposite end of the beach. After a few more coins pop out of the ground, I get this low tone that I'm anxious to dig. Sure enough... 18k white gold band

MetalDetecting002-2.jpg

I managed to pull a silver ring not too far from the white gold ring, and I also found some small jewel encrusted do-dad. I'm sure it's part of some costume jewelry, but hey... it looks cool.

All in all, not a bad hunt. I scored enough coinage to make it worthwhile, and walked away with some gold. Here's some more pictures of the take.

MetalDetecting011.jpg

MetalDetecting010-3.jpg

MetalDetecting012.jpg

MetalDetecting009-1.jpg

MetalDetecting015.jpg

MetalDetecting014.jpg

Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Good hunt and good finds :icon_thumright:. Do you see many detectorists in that area?

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly! As scarce as gold has been you really did well!! Congrats.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Those violent storms are bad in some ways, but good for metal detecting. Awsome finds, congrats :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I think I met him on one of the beaches over there .Me and CB were hunting and we talked to him for a bit if it is the same guy ,I am pretty sure his name was Jim and he was using a Minelab. Awesome finds and enjoy your tour.Finds are always more plentiful overseas due to less people hunting.

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt for ya....love that gold and silver!! Good lookin cross!!

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
search and recovery said:
Good hunt and good finds :icon_thumright:. Do you see many detectorists in that area?

There's not that many people that detect on Okinawa that I'm aware of. From my personal experiences, I know of less than 10 people... and only 5 are constant hunters. I'm sure there's more, but I haven't had the chance to meet them.

I've thought about starting a detecting club here. I don't think anyone has ever done that, but it would be nice to see other people's finds.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post, Bobbypins :headbang:

Congrats on all those beautiful finds :hello2:

I love the silver cross...terrific find!

Lorraine

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Congrats on the finds, you did good. My first experience with a typhoon was back in 1969, I was in the Army in Nha Trang, Vietnam, the storm was so bad it was raining walls of water, didn't last too long but it was an experience I'll never forget. I wasn't into metal detecting back then, I can just imagine what I could of found but the Charlie would probably of shot me......HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread