excalibur ll questions

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i bought my excal about a year ago. i have never gone more than knee deep in the surf. now thanks to some input from you guys i plan to go deeper.
i bought a manule co2 life vest. i do NOT like under tow!
now my questions, what do i do about 'o' rings? i read somewear you have to grease or something? also the lower shaft came appart about 3 inches above the coil. do i drill and use a plastic bolt? or epoxy?
thanks, urdaboss
kissimmee, fl

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, sent you an IM, I'm local, call me...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter has the experience with the Excals and can give you good advice. :thumbsup:

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey my Excal is about 2 years old and it did the same thing. I just simply used super glue and it has held fine since January of this year. FYI be ready to jam it up in there AS SOON as you get the glue on. I was trying to put glue all the way around the piece that goes up in there and when I tried to stick it in the glue had already stuck to there is about a 1/2" gap in mine but it doesn't affect it operationally. So if you can get someone to help you that would be great. Good luck with it.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For the O rings use silicone grease. The best price on this is at pool supply stores. I would get a big tube, that is the best price per oz, and you will never run out. Just make sure the O ring and area is clean that stuff is sticky and can get sand in it. Then just slide the O ring through your greased up finger tips, and smear it lightly on mating surfaces. Same with the plug for battery charging, lube the rubber flat gasket and the threads. Dont use petroleum grease it will eat up rubber and plastic, make it swell, and go bad. As for the plastic shaft, I have not seen that, but epoxy resin and thin fiberglass cloth would be a whole lot better than superglue. Plus you have a lot of working time with it. Glue it with epoxy, and if there is any broken shaft tube, glue and wrap with fiberglass cloth, brush on epoxy resin, and wrap with packing tape tightly. Then leave it overnight, and unwrap and should be stronger than new and look good. Friends of mine have used carbon fiber and epoxy and used shrink wrap to squeeze it tight, and heat it with a heat gun lightly to shrink it. Let it sit overnight and it looks perfect.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the shaft, marine epoxy works great.

First figure out the proper position so the coil is level to the floor when your arm is in the armcuff. Mark both the coil side and shaft side with pencil so you can line them up properly when you add the epoxy.... I set mine on the floor in my home and marked it.

Put epoxy on both ends and slide coil side all the way up the shaft, line up the pencil marks you made so it is set properly....

After a couple hours it is set. I did this to one of my excals 3 years ago and have not had a single problem since.....

As far as the O-ring, IMO if you haven't taken your controls apart to do a mod, and it isn't leaking I personally advise you don't take it apart unless your very comfortable with it and do not take it apart if it is under warranty, you will void the warranty if you do...

It is good to put a little silicone grease on the threads of the battery pod and on the prongs sticking out, if your experiencing chatter or it is unstable when your chest deep, this has been found to greatly reduce the chatter. It worked for me and I know several other hunters it worked for as well....

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright:
i really want to thank you all for some great info!
that is what makes this place really special!!
thanks again, urdaboss

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good move on the vest, I wear one most of the time.....you just never know. On the Excalibur O-Rings after replacing all I noticed on each that the top Knob o-rings sure get the worse part of the saltwater. So this year I'm using aquaseal silicon spray on my detectors after washing them off. It Lubricates sensitive rubber products and protects against rust, salt; Rubber Ozone Oxidation (Aging, Hardening); and Corrosion. Conditions Neoprene, Rubber, And More. So the whole detectors gets this.

http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/dive/p4306.htm

On the shaft double pinned n epoxied, along with nylon 6/6 glassed bolts, not cheap........ but almost indestructible

Attachments

• rodend obn.jpg
    rodend obn.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 273
  • rodends obn.jpg
    rodends obn.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Glass Filled Nylon 66  obn.jpg
    Glass Filled Nylon 66 obn.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 273

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread