Switching from fresh water to sea water/beach

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Hunting on a fresh water beach or in shallow fresh water is something I have done for quite a while now but here is a question.

I will be spending this weekend on a sea beach in Europe, I have a table of low/high tides and will obviously be hunting during low tides.

A friend of mine recommended finding "grey" of "black" sand and hunting there, according to him, places with yellow/brown sand are bad, because everything gets stuck in that grey/black sand area.
how true is that ?

Upvote 0

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry too much about the color of the sand as "treasure is where you find it". Black sand is mineralized and acutally may cause your detector to false or be less effective depthwise depending on what type machine you use. As far as that other stuff, just hunt low tide from about 2 hours before low tide to 2 hours after low tide and where the most people were when the tide was in. That will increase your odds of finding something much more than focusing on the color of the sand. Good luck and happy hunting!!

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I hunt with excl 2 1000.

the thing is, the season is very young at this moment, and the sea is still very cold here in Flanders, so I'm mostly after previous year's treasure.

Anyway, if I dont get signals, or if the sea has brought lots of sand, I will limit myself to hunting the dry beach instead.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have been mainly hunting fresh water you need to brush up on Saltwater detecting as there is to much info to pass along here. We also don't know what detector you are planning to use there.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I did mention my detector, its an excl2 1000.

I will check out the link thanks, also Im not planning to go into water

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acquisitor said:
I did mention my detector, its an excl2 1000.

I will check out the link thanks, also Im not planning to go into water
You don't have to go into the water, just hunt the wet sand 2 hrs before till about an hour or 2 after low tide. I don't usually hunt "in" the water at the ocean just the wet sand and I have found gold silver and numerous other rings, necklaces, watches and cell phones that way. I also use the Excal II and it is perfect for the hunting I am describing. Good luck!

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
thanks, if the sea proves to be empty (I doubt I can find anything from last year's drops unless the sand has been washed away), then I will simply do the dry beach with my ace 250 (it has a 15x11" coil and I prefer it to excl for dry beaches)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread