Why Is This Discussion Titled Beach And Shallow Water?

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_pirat: I just wonder why the forum has this listed as "beach and shallow water" when in reality everyone is in the water with higher priced machines. I would estimate that 9 1/2 out of 10 times the finds posted here are from the water. The other 1/2 percent of the time dry sand hunters are finding nothing more than clad and beach trash.
Now, grant it I'm sure someone would say it's called "beach and shallow water" because good finds are also hunted in the wet sand areas. I know there are great finds there as well because that too involves the water and objects are washed into the wet sand. Here again, it takes a higher end machine to deal with the wet sandy areas. Does anyone really ever find anything worth posting in the dry sand with the exception of clad which is always a good thing (it's money right? it's gotta be good).
Just interested in the honest answers as to experiences in finding goodies in dry sand? Not asking for locations, etc. Also, it seems that everyone that mentions their tools of the trade automatically have the top of the line machines or close to it. Now I know not everyone and their brother and sister can afford to start of with the 1,000 - 1,500 dollar machines? It just makes me curious sometimes if their is anyone out there hunting to and fro with a mediocre machine just enjoying the hobby anymore, or is it a high dollar competition to see who can find the most loot the fastest. Not that I am opposed to finding that either. :wink:

Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both below were found in dry sand.

Bracelet and charm are 925 and the ring is 14k with diamond chips and tourmaline.

I use a Bounty Hunter Land Star and I can hunt wet sand just fine. I personally prefer the dry sand.

Attachments

• firstsilver.jpg
    firstsilver.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 559
  • ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 561
  • firstsilver.jpg
    firstsilver.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 554
  • ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 549

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt beaches and sometimes shallow water!!! dry sand So far along the River near me And have done Very well!!! I don't remember posting specificily on this section before But I love the finds Here and Make a point on a daily basis to Move from the live post to see what I might Have Missed!!! HH Chug

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a 5.7g gold band last week in the dry sand as I was swinging my way to the water. I guess that would be a beach find. We had a name change a few months ago and you should have heard the complaints, everybody wanted the old name back and we got it.

In the winter when the water cools down, no sand movement, and they winter tourist are all laying on the beach, staying out of the water, I will gladly hunt the dry sand.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
There's still numerous treasures to be found in dry sand, so don't think that all the good stuff is being found in the water. Here's some pictures from 2 outings about a week ago.... Dry sand (NOT in the wet sand).... Same beach, hunted 2 days apart... in the same 200 yard stretch of sand.

And these finds were shallow enough to be picked up by ANY detector by ANY detectorist who took the time to put their coil over these spots. One 18k, two 14k, one silver ring, and a huge silver pendant.

MetalDetecting007-1.jpg

MetalDetecting015.jpg

MetalDetecting002-3.jpg

MetalDetecting014-1.jpg

MetalDetecting004.jpg

MetalDetecting024.jpg

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO , I would not sell dry sand detecting short.

I believe that the dry sand holds an abundance of treasures, so I like to devote a portion of my detecting to the dry sand each time I go out there

Here is one of my favorite dry sand finds from last summer.

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• DSCF0424.JPG
    DSCF0424.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCF0427.JPG
    DSCF0427.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCF0425.JPG
    DSCF0425.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 485

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
A few years back I spent some time in Key West, FL for my job and most of the time without my wife, so I had to find something to do to keep me out of trouble. I got a $200 Radio Shack metal detector. I hunted dry sand almost exclusively since the wet sand made the unit false. Over the course of several months I found about $54 in clad, and the jewelry I can remember included, one 10k class ring, one 14k signet ring, one silver spinner ring. I am sure I also found a lot of junk. That was my first real experience with metal detecting. Did it make me want to go deeper and find more?? Yes, it sure did. Did I go out and buy a more expensive machine now, no, I have three more expensive machines. I wanted to get one high end detector that would be the best at everything, land and sea. I found out in a hurry that doesn't work. However, each detector I bought has paid for itself and has its advantages and disadvantages. Enjoy what you have and detect where you can with what you have. When you find the first really nice find, you will want more. Go have fun. HH, Ralph

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:icon_pirat: I just wonder why the forum has this listed as "beach and shallow water" when in reality everyone is in the water with higher priced machines. I would estimate that 9 1/2 out of 10 times the finds posted here are from the water. The other 1/2 percent of the time dry sand hunters are finding nothing more than clad and beach trash...

Interesting post/rant LAGDI :headbang: I think it is the perfect title. Whether you hunt the water up to your chest with a $600 Sand Shark, or the dry sand on the beach with a $200 Ace 250, you have the SAME shot - in reality, of scoring some major bling. That is the REAL beauty of our hobby - to me! The more hours you spend learning your machine and honing your skills, the better you get and the more crap you find. There is no secret or magic. I LIKE being in the water, but I still come up on the beach and dig dimes at 16" when I get bored! Great Thread! :hello2: :thumbsup:

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
At one time you'd find the hunters in the sand and few in the water. Now it is probably the opposite. I hunt dry beach, wet sand, and sometimes deeper water. I make good finds in all areas. It depends on where the droppers are, what the beach looks like, what time of day it is, the tide level, or just how I feel. The more flexible you are in your equipment and ability to use it increases the odds something good will crawl into the scoop. No right or wrong way. Just personal preferences. At my club's last beach trip good finds were taken in both places but the best, a very large 18 k fancy ring, came from dry sand. No, I didn't find it. I was in the water.

Maggie

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These 2 were found on the same day.

They were both in the dry sand and both located with a Tesoro Silver Umax w/3x18 clean sweep coil.

Tiffany 18k
001.JPG

Mexico 925
002.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 371

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
There's nothing wrong about hunting the dry sand. It takes, possibly, a bit more patience but other than that it's not difficult.

I started dry sand hunting about 4 years ago and within 3 weeks had 3 rings 14K each. All found with a Bounty Hunter 3300 which cost me $130 used off of eBay. For the scoop I had a french fry basket.

Here's my first 6 rings found over about 6 weeks of daily hunting in 2007. Rings 1, 2 and 5 are 14K the rest Silver

HH Joe

Attachments

• First six rings sm sm.jpg
    First six rings sm sm.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 357

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether you hunt the dry sand, wet or in the water for your fun, you need the proper tool for the job. Water hunting is best done with the more expensive detectors because they are designed for diving and rough conditions. The guys and gals that like to enjoy both dry and wet hunts need the more $$$ detectors to do it right so they aren't wasting time. See my signature below.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title fits, I prefer the wetsand and water, but I also hunt the dry sand. I basically hunt from the seawall till I can't get any deeper with out using a breathing apparatus... For me, I bought a machine, actually several that gives me the ability to hunt every zone of the beach....

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_sunny: Great replies everyone. I can always expect the best answers and positive replies and answers from the folks on the TNet forum. You guys and gals rock. Me and the wife went out swinging on the dry sand this evening and found some clad, a sharks tooth (sifted in my scoop), a silver earring and lots of beach trash which some of it was interesting.
This was the first time my wife actually took a metal detector in hand and jumped in there with me which made me happy. She has gone with me a few times just walking or helping me carry something but this time she joined in the hunt. ;D Now the impressive thing is my wife is legally deaf but still went detecting without complaining and every time she swooped over a target I would direct her that she had a hit. She lit up after hitting the first target which was a quarter, she said I would love to find some jewelry but this will work too. I feel our day is coming when we get to find some bling bling :icon_pirat:.

Take Care Everyone And HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:icon_sunny: Great replies everyone. I can always expect the best answers and positive replies and answers from the folks on the TNet forum. You guys and gals rock. Me and the wife went out swinging on the dry sand this evening and found some clad, a sharks tooth (sifted in my scoop), a silver earring and lots of beach trash which some of it was interesting.
This was the first time my wife actually took a metal detector in hand and jumped in there with me which made me happy. She has gone with me a few times just walking or helping me carry something but this time she joined in the hunt. ;D Now the impressive thing is my wife is legally deaf but still went detecting without complaining and every time she swooped over a target I would direct her that she had a hit. She lit up after hitting the first target which was a quarter, she said I would love to find some jewelry but this will work too. I feel our day is coming when we get to find some bling bling :icon_pirat:.

Take Care Everyone And HH

Life,

It is nice she got to enjoy the thrill of finding something with you.....You know if you got her a used Whites Beach Hunter ID or the Beach Hunter 300 they have different colored LED lights that go with the tones so she would know when she has a target just by watching the LEDs.......Just a thought...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
You have to walk over it to find it, and if you're the first to walk over it..and if your detector is good enough then you WILL find it! :)

The operative words there are "IF your detector is good enough..." because many people are so paranoid that they may be missing goodies with a cheap-ish detector they then upgrade to an expensive topline one. Beginners with money usually buy the best they can afford because "that's what everyone else is using" etc etc. You don't enter a "full bore" shooting competition with a BB gun do you?...kinda mentality.
Here in Sweden i'm not allowed into the sea to detect, so most of my detecting is on the dry/wet sand...i find enough gold,silver and cash to keep me happy, but yes...i was a beginner with too much money, so i do have topline detectors. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread