Evaluate my plan please.......

ct78114

Jun 13, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Hi All!

I'd like to get some opinions and any advice you all would like to offer a noob!

I fish an area of the gulf coast alot. I have done some research and found that there were several civil war skermishes on a certain inland island. The area was a natural pass that was used until the 1920's for docking of merchant and cargo vessels. Now all remnants of the old docks and buildings are gone. I've found reports of a school, a lighthouse and other small buildings. The island has about 4-5 miles of shore that I've narrowed down to where the docks should have been. I've never seen or heard of anyone detectign this area. The island is only accessible by boat. My plan is to fish the mornings and then venture on to the island and do a little detecting.

Walking the shore I've found a TON of trash as people do camp there and fish and lots of stuff washes up from the shrimping and fishing boats.
I'm afraid I'm going to get discouraged because of all the trash I will dig. How long should I give it? Should I dig everything? Should I start at waters edge? (difference in low and high tide is less than 12" in this area). Should I put on my snake boots and stay onshore a ways? Do I need a different detector?

The Island is not part of any park, national or state..... Thanks for any advice!

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First, Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Suggestions:
1.Contact the local library reference desk; ask them about the area and what do they have that might assist you.
2.Then ask them for the name, phone number, etc. of the local historian.
3.Google Earth the location for aerial signs of what used to be.
4. MD/search the area until it's no longer fun.
Don......

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
First make sure that it is legal to MD there or if you need to obtain permission. If you can hunt there you will probably find that hunting the waters edge with your current detector will keep you busy and your interest level high for a long time. Even digging some junk won't be that bad. Then you might want to wander around the island with your detector. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
C

ct78114

Jun 13, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
I will check on legality but it is definately not part of any park, historical entity. The land is owned by the county starting at the highest occuring tide (baring a named storm). This means that all exposed land up to that tidal mark is public waterway and not technically land. It is also so remote that I don't think anyone would even know I was there. There are no inhabitants, no signs, no nothing other than sand and marsh.

So the MD that I have will work ok in the wet sand? Opinions?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring along some gallon baggies and go to it. I once found an area with not as much history but just as much junk as your site. The first few times I went I'd fill up two or three bags of garbage with only a couple of good targets. But once the junk thinned out the good stuff started showing up. You just need to be patient and willing to clear out the trash first.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
I also did what Susan did one area that I hunt half the swima area is fine the other half is like a trash dump old canslaw,bottle caps glass I went in and dug all targets I did this untill I couldn't take it no more lol then went back and dected again found a silver toe ring and silver ring ring. you just have to keep plugging a way at it lol . Kinda like that country song You gotta walk through hell and keep on going lol
HH,GL, and Have fun keep us posted.
drewan

OP
OP
C

ct78114

Jun 13, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
I pulled out the MD and low and behold it has a "beach" setting on it! Duh! Anyway...i will read the destructions again and the link provided above. I'm hoping to head down there this weekend and see what turns up! I appreciate the welcomes, encouragement, advice and the patience!

CT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions