Would one of the people on this site with a Whites Dual Frequency do an air test

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
On a quarter and a nickle and let me know the results. I know a PI will not air test well. But in speaking with Tom Dankowski on his site, he said to try and get someone with this machine to test theirs for a comparison to what my machine is getting. On my PI I can only get 6" on a quarter and 7 1/2" on a nickle :icon_scratch: :help: Thanks....Stuart

Upvote 0

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at getting the Dual Field soon, just curious...is that the same machine ur talking about?

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Yes it is the same machine. I have had it just over a month and love the way it works. It takes quite a learning curve if you have not used a pulse machine before. You have to train your ear to the slight differences in tones of different targets. It will have you digging the eye to a very small fish hook at eighteen inches. Pulse machines air test poorly by their very nature, so I am trying to figure out if mine is doing what it should. Don't get me wrong, it goes very deep in the surf, but the stability of the signal on my machine makes me wonder if I maybe have an issue with my coil or if this is normal for an air test on this machine. I have no one around my area that has one of these machines to compare my machine to. I know a few of the water hunters on this site do have the same type and hope they will help me out by posting what their machines air test at....Stuart

jahall50

Feb 7, 2011
I use a Dual Field and actually live about 5-10 miles from Tom Dankowski. That is about right for the dual field test in dry air. I have noticed that the machine really performs well in the wet sand. The experts who showed me how great this machine is was Craig-pi (Craig) and Finderzzz (Steve) both are amazing with this machine. If you have any questions they are the ones to ask.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Thanks JaHall50, I have read some of Craig PI's comments and he is amazing. So knowledgeable. Another member just sent me a PM with a thread by Eric Foster on air testing a PI unit. I had no idea that they were like an antennea if you held the coil off of the ground. I may have to get farther away from any interferrance in my yard and do more tests. Eric Foster, of course invented the Whites Dual Field and the aquastar detector that Tom Dankowski talks so much about. I would love to try one of those just to see if it lives up to all the hype. Anyway I managed to get off of work this weekend and plan on doing some real depth tests in the wet sand at the beach. But if any of you would still do an air test, I would love to hear the results. Thanks again...Stuart

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I am not at my home at the moment and don't have the Dual Field with me to test, but I recently air tested my Whites Dual field and my Tesoro Tiger Shark against the Aquasound on gold rings. As best I remember, air tests with repeatable diggable signals were very close to the same for all three machines at around 11" - 13". The Dual Field was slightly deeper than the Tiger Shark on most if not all targets. The Aquasound was comparable to the Dual Field, although I think there may have been one target that was deeper on the Dual Field than on the Aquasound and a couple on the Aquasound that were slightly deeper than the Dual Field. 6" - 7 1/2" does not sound right to me. Just remember that what you are listening for at this depth is a slight rise in threshold and not a "Beep". If this link is still active when I get back home, and no one has chimed in with their results, I will post again.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
search and recovery said:
Thanks JaHall50, I have read some of Craig PI's comments and he is amazing. So knowledgeable. Another member just sent me a PM with a thread by Eric Foster on air testing a PI unit. I had no idea that they were like an antennea if you held the coil off of the ground. I may have to get farther away from any interferrance in my yard and do more tests. Eric Foster, of course invented the Whites Dual Field and the aquastar detector that Tom Dankowski talks so much about. I would love to try one of those just to see if it lives up to all the hype. Anyway I managed to get off of work this weekend and plan on doing some real depth tests in the wet sand at the beach. But if any of you would still do an air test, I would love to hear the results. Thanks again...Stuart

Just remember that testing in wet salt sand that you have just dug up and planted a target in is not the same as finding a target that has been sitting in the sand for a while and sand has compacted around the target. The signal from a target depends almost as much on the material around the target as the material in the target itself. Many detectors will give a positive signal response on a freshly dug and filled in hole with nothing in it. Looking forward to seeing the results of your tests.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Thanks Petersra, I look forward to your tests as well. I really think my first tests were off because of interferance and will test it well this weekend and post my results. This machine is going too deep on targets in the surf and wet sand to believe it air tests this poorly. Thanks and HH...Stuart

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I have never air tested my Dual Field... I don't see the reasoning behind it anyway ;) in the water is where it matters :)

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a White's surfmaster and a Pi pro, and both will air test less than in saltwater, or wetsand. As in all PI units. You have a larger coil by 2 1/2" so it should go deeper than a Surfmaster pi pro. That is basicly the only difference. It is called the White's Dual Field, not dual frequency. I dont know why it is called a dual field, as PIs only have one concentric coil. There should only be 2 wires for the coil.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Here is an update on my air test. I took the unit to a field away from any power sources. I was relieved to find that in the field I could get a good signal on a quarter at 12", a nickle at 13". Quite an improvement from outside my house. I read an article on how to properly air test a PI detector from Eric Foster. He is one of the main desighners of PI's. He said a PI will act as an antennea once the coil is raised into the air picking up EMI/RF interferrance. I did not realize it would have so much effect on this type of test. Thanks for everyones thoughts on this issue. I did find another gold ring at the beach last week, so I have to say it is doing what it should....Stuart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions