NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOUVE FOUND!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

A couple of years ago I was working one of my favorite local beaches and was having a great time. It wasn't to hot, I was finding some good stuff and the scenery was GREAT!!!! I was walking along in about waist deep water and got a hit. I dug it (3 scoops, it was fairly deep) but admit that I was paying more attention to a couple of very attractive young ladies then to what I was doing. At the bottom of the scoop was a gold ring with a small diamond in it.

I brought it up, looked at it and started to drop it into my pouch. All of a sudden I here this voice right out of an old NY gangster movie. "Hey, dat's my wife's ring. She lost it a few minutes ago and we've been looking for it". I turn around and this (how should I put this) ....large.... person was standing there. He had to be at least 400 pounds, covered with enough hair he could have played Bigfoot, and chomping on the stub of a cigar. He repeats himself, says "give it to me" and reaches for my hand. I drop the ring in my belt pouch, grad my scoop and start backing away from this guy. I get up to the waters edge, the guy is still demanding the ring or he's going to take it and I'm explaining that he doesn't want to put his hands on me, yada, yada, yada. He's getting loud, a few people are starting to stop and watch, and the lifeguard heads down to us.

The lifeguard shows up and the porker starts demanding he make me give him the ring or he's going to have the lifeguards job (because he has some very important friends). Anyway, I didn't like the way things were going so I pulled out the ring, held it up and asked him if he was sure this was his wife's ring. He screams "Yes, give it to me now you SOB" and reaches for it again. I step back, say "No problem. I found it, you find it" and sent it sailing out across the water. As super porker and wife, along with a bunch of others, head for the water, I asked the lifeguard if there was anything else. He laughed, said no and I went on my happy way down the beach (with the found ring still in my pouch).

Now understand, the ring I showed him and tossed away (Wallgreens $2.00, kids isle) looked nothing like the ring I had found, in fact it looked much better...lol. Also, his wife (as wide as she was tall and should NOT have been wearing Spandex) would not have have been able to wear either, even as a nose ring. My pouch has three pockets in it. The largest for junk, the next for good stuff and a third very small one. That's the one I keep the special ring in (and a little gold chain, Wallgreens kids isle special also).

Over the years I've had people claim that what I found was theirs and a number of other similar scams. Many of the old timers I know have had similar experiences and most have at least heard stories of these scams. It's a sad fact but true that their are those that want to take your finds. No problem, the meathod of countering them that I have told you is just one of many. Use this or use your imagination. The best however is to avoid the situation completely. These are a few suggestions:

1) Keep what you've found cupped in your hand then drop it into your pouch (examine it more closely later).
2) If asked what you've found. "Just junk today"
3) Always be aware of what's going on around you.
4) DON'T SHOW WHAT YOU'VE FOUND TO ANYONE!!!!

There are many times that I'm asked to find something that someone just lost in the sand. I'm always willing to help out. Many times this can lead to nice tips that will at least pay for the days parking or dinner. However, it's usually pretty obvious when someone is trying a scam.

The beaches are a magnet to scammer's and thieves. Just sit back and watch, you'll see all types of things going on, especially on crowded days. Be alert, protect your finds and enjoy yourself.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

skalleewag

Dec 4, 2006
TREASURE COAST, FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

Thanks for the advice deep. It will come in handy for the week of Christmas.

TwT

Dec 4, 2006
Lincolnton, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. GT

This is the BEST or one of the "BEST POST" I have read as a newcomer to this hobbie, I would not expected this without reading this post!!!!! Very Good Post and Thanks for the advice!!!!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Great post pal! Well written and thought out.

You really had me when you said you threw that ring..lol! Good show!

As a general rule it's not good to tell anyone (other than close loved ones) what you've found anywhere.

On here I only tell a fraction of what I find and I keep my identity private ;)

Life is good if one is dumb like a fox.

MB

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story Deepsix47! I would of probably done the same thing only I would of had to throw the real ring.That's a darn good idea about carrying a cheapie ring,just in case.Of course if the big fat hairy man-ape would of just described the ring correctly,since it was his, uh-umm, wife's, (which i'm sure he couldn't) the whole thing could of been settled nice and easy.What a pig!
Score- 1 for deepsix
0 for man-ape! ;) ;D

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

When people ask what the detector cost, I say I don't know, I got it as a gift. When they ask what I'm looking for I say: I'm looking to loose 20 pounds by walking on the beach. Always show the pull tabs and garbage and people get bored fast.

Some good posts here, thanks.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

easy fix for that -

carry a "claw hammer" with you at all times and if you ever encounter that type of situation again

tell the SOB that you'd LOVE to sink the claws of it into a fresh scull given the opportunity!

watch how they change their tune and run! ;D

Karma Guy

Nov 12, 2006
Kirkland, Wa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Deepsix, what a hoot! That is not only a great story but great advice as well. I'm heading to Myrtle Beach in June 07 and I'm going to take your advice to heart and prepare myself. You never know what people will do. I try to hunt in the morning just to avoid the looky lou's.

KG

T

TreasureTales

Great story. Great advice. Great bait and switch with the ring.

Whenever someone asks what I've found, I pull out a handful of the junk and show them. That does two main things: 1)turns them OFF of buying their own detector (less competition!!) and 2) shows I'm picking up the trash that others had left behind. If they push me for an answer, I'll only admit to a couple pennies and that's all. It is, afterall, no one's business but mine.

T

TheDetectorist

Love the story! Great advice too. I never thought about carrying a few throwdowns like that, gonna have to go buy some.

I've never had an incounter like yours, just curious people asking what kinds of things or "anything good?" I've always given the standard response of "Some days I find some great stuff, but usually it's just junk and a few pennies, like today."

FD

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

When asked, I reply: "I've found about half enough loose change to replace the batteries that this thing eats up". Happily, I live in an area where threatening someone with a digging tool would never be necessary (seems like a poor idea anyway). I've been fortunate that usually my dealings have been with gals that just want some "free" jewelry... which usually works out just fine. (this may explain why I've never had any jewelry finds to post) But the Wallgreen's decoy IS a splendid idea. Happy hunting to all of you where the ground has not frozen as of yet. -Ben

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I usually reply pennies and junk but the view = PRICELESS

On another note, if by chance u md in a iffy spot or feel concerned about ur safety, if u have an old cell phone, even one that is not used (some carriers even though not used still allow 911 calls) OR one of those pay to go phones from like wally world, make a shortcut key to 911 and glue u a small piece of cork on top of that key so it is easy to hit(note- not the clamshell phones the old style plain everything on front type). One good thing that has come out of homeland security is E911 or enhanced 911 where all calls are traced and # recorded, plus easier to sat locate, plus dispatchers can`t hangup like in the old days(note- not all areas have E911). Stick it in a shirt pocket with keys towards ur chest and if u ever need it since short cut key is raised all u have to do is press phone against chest for it to dial. An old G/F i used to have would get quite paranoid out md`ing so i made her one, she kept it in a shirt pocket and it worked perfect, set the shortcut to my phone at first to try out she could just press the phone against her to dial and since the phone was not to far from her mouth i could hear her speak easily, lol she couldn`t hear me but thats not the point.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great idea about the cell phone!!!!
Deepsix

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story and great advice about being aware of your surroundings and who is around (something you should do no matter where you are or what you are doing). When I am out I almost always have pepper spray with me (I carry it ALL the time) and if I am going to go into the woods or a very secluded area I carry a sidearm (check your local laws, I have a permit to carry concealed) with me...more for wildlife than for human problems, but you never know and it is always good to be prepared.
I also never say what I found other than replying alot of pulltabs and bottlecaps.
Must have been quite the sight seeing them splash off after your "junk" ring.... ;D

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

I usually don't hunt places where there are many people. When I hunt someones yard that I really don't know very well, I carry a few 1940s or 50s wheat's I have dug. That way if they see me digging and putting something in my pockets, I can pull these out. Now if they get greedy and want what I have found, I give them these and know better to show them anything else.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always wondered why nobody would tell me what they found when I walked up to them on the beach while they were md'ing. I always told them that I had not lost anything up front in hopes they would show me. A few times in the past I have been approached by smart assed teens demanding that I show them what I found or to leave. I then show them the 13 inch home made knife that I use to dig with. I never have threatened anybody because taking a look at a 13 inch knife has always changed their minds. Just be safe and carry a big knife!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My pouch has two large pockets an one narrow deep one in the center. Since I am usually wading/detecting, when I take something out of the scoop I glance at it an place it in left pocket as trash or right pocket as coins. Good jewerly gets dropped into the center with out me hardly looking at it as you don't know who's watching. If asked, I mention all the junk and maybe a coin or two. I am usually asked by folks sitting on shore as they have nothing better to do except watch me playing. I have a dive knife strapped to my leg which saves to cut fishing line that you can get tangled up in too.

HH,
Sandman

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My pouch also has 3 pockets and the biggest one is where I put the trash, and the one next to it gets the cents. every thing else goes into the 3rd one which runs the length of the pouch along my waist and isn't obvious. That way I can pull out some trash and cents when people ask what I find. I also tell them I am mainly out there as a way to keep my blood sugar in control(true) and that anything I find is just an extra benefit.

I've only had one scary experience during my short time as a full time TH'er. I was at a local ball field a couple of months ago and the battery was dying on my XLT so I went back to the car to get the spare. There was a fellow at the bus stop in just a t-shirt and light pants (it was about 40 and breezy). So he comes to the car as I'm changing the battery and asks what I have. When I told him it was a metal detector he asked if he could try it. I immediately said NO, I don't let anyone use it. By this time I had pretty much figured out by his complexion and the condition of his teeth that he was a long term meth user. He then asked if I would take him to the grocery store. I told him I was only changing the battery and not going anywhere else for a while. He headed back for the bus stop and I kept an eye on him until I saw him get on a bus. So I got back to serious hunting. A couple of folks went by with their dogs but nothing else. Then I realized that there was someone had walked off the trail and was coming to me. Sure enough the tweaker was back. He held out his bag of stuff to me and asked if I wanted a cigarette. I think he was trying to get close enough to grab the metal detector and run. Anywho, I stood up and he saw my digging tool. I use an old hunting knife I've had for some 40 years with a 7 inch blade. He saw the knife and started backing up very fast and then took off down the path. I watched him until he went into the apartment complex and didn't see him again. It did teach me one additional thing, now when I go to that particular park or one in a less than desirable area I take my old beater pickup truck instead of my car. it certainly draws a bit less attention as I've not been bothered again in that park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread