NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOUVE FOUND!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

A couple of years ago I was working one of my favorite local beaches and was having a great time. It wasn't to hot, I was finding some good stuff and the scenery was GREAT!!!! I was walking along in about waist deep water and got a hit. I dug it (3 scoops, it was fairly deep) but admit that I was paying more attention to a couple of very attractive young ladies then to what I was doing. At the bottom of the scoop was a gold ring with a small diamond in it.

I brought it up, looked at it and started to drop it into my pouch. All of a sudden I here this voice right out of an old NY gangster movie. "Hey, dat's my wife's ring. She lost it a few minutes ago and we've been looking for it". I turn around and this (how should I put this) ....large.... person was standing there. He had to be at least 400 pounds, covered with enough hair he could have played Bigfoot, and chomping on the stub of a cigar. He repeats himself, says "give it to me" and reaches for my hand. I drop the ring in my belt pouch, grad my scoop and start backing away from this guy. I get up to the waters edge, the guy is still demanding the ring or he's going to take it and I'm explaining that he doesn't want to put his hands on me, yada, yada, yada. He's getting loud, a few people are starting to stop and watch, and the lifeguard heads down to us.

The lifeguard shows up and the porker starts demanding he make me give him the ring or he's going to have the lifeguards job (because he has some very important friends). Anyway, I didn't like the way things were going so I pulled out the ring, held it up and asked him if he was sure this was his wife's ring. He screams "Yes, give it to me now you SOB" and reaches for it again. I step back, say "No problem. I found it, you find it" and sent it sailing out across the water. As super porker and wife, along with a bunch of others, head for the water, I asked the lifeguard if there was anything else. He laughed, said no and I went on my happy way down the beach (with the found ring still in my pouch).

Now understand, the ring I showed him and tossed away (Wallgreens $2.00, kids isle) looked nothing like the ring I had found, in fact it looked much better...lol. Also, his wife (as wide as she was tall and should NOT have been wearing Spandex) would not have have been able to wear either, even as a nose ring. My pouch has three pockets in it. The largest for junk, the next for good stuff and a third very small one. That's the one I keep the special ring in (and a little gold chain, Wallgreens kids isle special also).

Over the years I've had people claim that what I found was theirs and a number of other similar scams. Many of the old timers I know have had similar experiences and most have at least heard stories of these scams. It's a sad fact but true that their are those that want to take your finds. No problem, the meathod of countering them that I have told you is just one of many. Use this or use your imagination. The best however is to avoid the situation completely. These are a few suggestions:

1) Keep what you've found cupped in your hand then drop it into your pouch (examine it more closely later).
2) If asked what you've found. "Just junk today"
3) Always be aware of what's going on around you.
4) DON'T SHOW WHAT YOU'VE FOUND TO ANYONE!!!!

There are many times that I'm asked to find something that someone just lost in the sand. I'm always willing to help out. Many times this can lead to nice tips that will at least pay for the days parking or dinner. However, it's usually pretty obvious when someone is trying a scam.

The beaches are a magnet to scammer's and thieves. Just sit back and watch, you'll see all types of things going on, especially on crowded days. Be alert, protect your finds and enjoy yourself.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

Excellent post, score one for the detectorist! I don't know if I could have refrained from calling the police or not. His actions were attempted robbery.

Possession is 9/10's of the law. And he could have kissed my whooo hhhaaa.

L

leftybee

Great post !!! Unfortunately the people you described are abundant on the beaches & everywhere else. They constantly prove the biological inequality that states "there are more horses asses than horses !"
Remember - if you need to, a scoop or digger can make a reliable self defense weapon.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I was TH'ing a Sarasota beach in shallow water and had just dug a sterling silver bracelet when a hispanic male about 18-20, came up and demanded the bracelet returned as it was his girlfriends. ::) I gave him the bracelet and he walked over and handed it to his g/f. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't but it wasn't worth much to me and there were more of them than there were of me. Might have been different had it been gold & diamond tennis bracelet, I'd probably turned it in to the Life Guards before I'd give anything of real value to a bunch of teenagers. ;D
Always be on your guard especially when hunting alone. An old buddy of mine was detecting at sunrise at Daytona Beach at the surfline. He spotted two adult males watching him from the Boardwalk. They split up, both walked to the surf line about a 100 feet from Claude, the one from the north met Claude first since he was walking in that direction. The punk asked for a light for his cigarette, Claude handed him his lighter and it was returned. The punk walked south till he met his partner. Claude was watching out of the corner of his eye when both of them started walking in his direction. He figured he was about to be mugged :o and headed toward a security guard he spotted at the Wyndam Resort and he watched the punks walk on down the beach. ;)
Never leave your metal detector unattended even when you think you are the only one there. Back in the 1980's, I was hunting a old swimming hole surrounded by seawalls. It was February, cold, water was 72 degrees as it was spring fed and the place was void of people. I left my Fisher Auqanaut detector attached to a ladder and tied off the floating sifting box to the detector. I walked up to use the restroom about a 100 yards away. I came out and noticed a car parked near mine. I was returning to the ladder when I noticed a family of five opposite from where I had been hunting and their little boy was swinging a metal detector none to good. Then I noticed my floating sifting box floating in the middle of the main pool. ??? I looked down the ladder and no metal detector. That kid had my metal detector, >:( I was PISSED OFF! >:( I'm in a full wet suit when I walk up to the kid and ask for my metal detector back. The kid protested that he found it and it was his. His father came up to defend him. I'm 6'4", 225 pounds, ex-cop. I told Papa that the only way his son got that detector was climbing down that ladder and untying the rope that secured it to the ladder hence sending my sifting box downstream. I told him to look on the arm cuff where my name and driver's license number were engraved. Give me the detector NOW or I'll get the park ranger to call a deputy sheriff for a Grand Theft Report. Papa gave me my detector, I jumped into the water and rescued my sifting box before it reached the fast current. That was 25 years ago and to this day, where I go my metal detector goes. I never leave it unattended. ;)
For safety against attacks, I'd retreat to knee deep water. People can't move fast in water especially when a big guy like me is swinging a long handled digging scoop like a mid-evil Mace. ::) You pop a punk in the noggin with that thing and he'll go down like he was pole axed. On land, my digging tools include a sharpened Alligator digger and a 8 inch and 12 inch very long ice pick style probes. When I'm on my knees digging and cruddy people are nearby, I keep that 12 inch probe where they can see it in my right hand in a non-threatening manner but visible. They always give me a wide berth and keep on walking. Something about ice picks give some punks the Willies.
Stay safe and watch your back. ;)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leftybee said:
Remember - if you need to, a scoop or digger can make a reliable self defense weapon.
My main digger is a trowel made of thick steel, with a 16 inch wooden handle. I modified it by sharpening both edges up to the handle. It can be used like a doubled edge sword. Makes cutting plugs pretty easy, too. I have a consealed carry permit, too, but that's only for very bad situations. Sort of a last resort. So far, just my sharpened digger and the look on my face that says I will use it has been enough. I have already thought about the different things that can happen and what I could do about them and have decided before hand what I will and will not do. Primarily, I will protect myself by any means necessary. End of statement. Everyone should decide what they would do in similar situations BEFORE it happens. That way, time is not wasted in the decision process. And, for goodness sake, CONTROL YOUR TEMPER. Hot tempers do no one any good.
Maybe the very best piece of advice is , don't go into questionable areas alone. There's safety in numbers.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR

You are right, I have never had a problem but have always been prepared for one, when hunting I wear jeans, and all the good stuff rings silver etc goes discreetly in my jean pocket, and I examine it later in a safe place, the rest in my pouch, I watch every one with my peripheral vision and never make eye contact, I steer away from groups and use deep water and the fact that people think you can't hear with head phones on. Besides I get robbed of all the cool jewelry by my wife when I get home. She doesn't have enough appendages to wear all the stuff she has swiped from me,, but she is worth it, I don't mind at all, kinda cool seeing her wear something I have fished out of the water or dug up.
Happy Hunting
Eddy

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I work the beaches in Sarasota county, FL
I normally pack an H&K .40. Even at the beaches. No I am NOT paranoid, and the beaches around here are very peaceful. But I am 68 years old and not as strong or fast as I used to be. I refuse to be a victim, at any location.

T

TreasureTales

exanimo redux said:
I usually try to be nice to people. You can usually tell that the ones who are just curious about your activities and want to visit for a minute. As for the knuckleheads who would have the notion to try something, I carry a sharpened bayonet with one side with a shredded edge for the need to excavate thru rooted ground. Also I wouldn't hestitate to go the route of the subway rider guy in New York City when confronted by a pack of punks.

Bernie Goetz -- The Subway Shooter. I man who fought back. Good for him!!

Right on, examino. Most folks are only curious and nearly everybody likes treasure stories, so they inquire about our finds. No harm no foul. I still like to keep my best finds a secret. On the other hand, there are those people who would rob their own mothers if they had the chance. So for those I have a little secret of another sort. LOL

D

Digger Dick

One more thing you might carry in your pouch,,,,,,,,,pepper spray ?? just a thought....... :-\
DD

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

You should always be aware of your surroundings. That is the best way to stay safe. Carrying a cell phone is a great idea also. Trowels, diggers, and scoops are great becasue they can be used as a weapon if necessary. The best advice is to avoid the problematic situation. Use some common sense... that is your best weapon and protection.

Remember, statistics show that the majority of people who carry "weapons" are undertrained (or not at all), and have their weapons turned against them. I'm not saying they can't be used as a deterrant, but unless you have some training, and know how to use the knife, club, pepper-spray, don't try to use it as a weapon. More likely than not it will be turned against you.

Oh... and as for the subway shooter, bernie goetz, he was convicted of PREMEDITED murder. Nothing wrong with fighting back... but reloading and shooting a downed assailant in the back is a little much

T

TreasureTales

spez401 said:
Oh... and as for the subway shooter, bernie goetz, he was convicted of PREMEDITED murder. Nothing wrong with fighting back... but reloading and shooting a downed assailant in the back is a little much

Bernie Goetz should have been awarded a medal for doing what the cops couldn't or wouldn't do. He very probably saved the lives of some innocent people who would have become their victims. I guess you've forgotten how bad things were in the subways before Rudy Guiliani became mayor? As far as guns being turned on the gunowner, I think that is rare. I'm not advocating taking a firearm on a MD excursion, but too many people have lost their lives because they DIDN'T have a way to fight back. Sure, training is essential, but it's not difficult. My digging tool has a 3.5 foot handle because I can't bend down very well. Anybody messing with me in a physical way will get a face full of it as I swing it like a baseball bat.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

treasure... when I was referring to "weapons" I mostly meant knives and such. Most people run when they see a firearm. But, most (and i stress most) people who carry firearms have some sort of training with them.

I've studied several martial arts for 17+ years now, and I've taught and given demonstrations of how easy it is to defend yourself with very little effort. But it is like anything else... you have to practice things a few times (or 100 or more) before you can just do it.

And I agree to an extent with bernie goetz. He definitely had a right to defend himself. (even though he was carrying an illegal firearm, that he didn't have a carry permit for). But I do draw the line at reloading and shooting someone in the back.

GaBeaSwpr

May 1, 2006
Appling Georgia

I like the 13 inch knife method. But perhaps I'd add "Maybe YOU ought to leave" to the mix. Whizz on smart-assed teenagers.
Jim

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007

thats all and good and alot of good advice here I also have a concealed carry permit and my handgun is like my drivers liscense it goes where I go. People arfe bcomnig more braison especially the young people and them young punks more than likely got punk parents who are more than willing to protect there punk younguns so along with the main digging tool. I refuse to be a statistic!

Happy Huntin

T

TreasureTales

tabsrus said:
thats all and good and alot of good advice here I also have a concealed carry permit and my handgun is like my drivers liscense it goes where I go. People arfe bcomnig more braison especially the young people and them young punks more than likely got punk parents who are more than willing to protect there punk younguns so along with the main digging tool. I refuse to be a statistic!

Happy Huntin

Exactly.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Many many years ago i used to use this line when a group of kids would start to follow me. It went like this: (them) Hey mister, you finding anything? (me) Yeah, hand grenades, you want one? Also, there is another good reason they make pouches with the goodies side and the trash side. Nothing will turn somebody away from you faster than showing them a handfull of junk....

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

I would not say that hand grenade joke,Since 911,they have Laws in place,they can charge you with making a terrorist threat,What ever happened to the good old days.Ronald99 ???

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

exanimo redux said:
No - I agree that you do not want to reload and shoot someone in the back. Also if I was on one of the four airplanes on 9-11 I would not have meekly set in my seat but would have followed the same path as those on the last plane. LET'S ROLL!!! Those terrorist murderers would have had a hell of time trying to fight me with their box cutters. Death before dishonor.

I have to agree with this. I've often wondered how this could have happened. I might think twice if a gun is on me (out of reach), but if it's a knife the clown is going to have to show me he can use it. Only once has it happened but I still have a really nice bone handled switchblade as a souviner. It's owner survived but will never walk well again.
Deepsix

Hoosier Kingfisher

Feb 26, 2007
Central Indiana

Pepper spray will repel almost all attackers including dogs. Mr. Getz could have protected himself with pepper spray and been in a lot less trouble. Dont get me wrong. I think he had every right to shoot. But if you ever shoot someone,you might be in for for an extremely hard time, right or wrong. Maybe financial ruin. By the way I'm a licensed handgun carrier. Never go out without it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread