NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOUVE FOUND!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

A couple of years ago I was working one of my favorite local beaches and was having a great time. It wasn't to hot, I was finding some good stuff and the scenery was GREAT!!!! I was walking along in about waist deep water and got a hit. I dug it (3 scoops, it was fairly deep) but admit that I was paying more attention to a couple of very attractive young ladies then to what I was doing. At the bottom of the scoop was a gold ring with a small diamond in it.

I brought it up, looked at it and started to drop it into my pouch. All of a sudden I here this voice right out of an old NY gangster movie. "Hey, dat's my wife's ring. She lost it a few minutes ago and we've been looking for it". I turn around and this (how should I put this) ....large.... person was standing there. He had to be at least 400 pounds, covered with enough hair he could have played Bigfoot, and chomping on the stub of a cigar. He repeats himself, says "give it to me" and reaches for my hand. I drop the ring in my belt pouch, grad my scoop and start backing away from this guy. I get up to the waters edge, the guy is still demanding the ring or he's going to take it and I'm explaining that he doesn't want to put his hands on me, yada, yada, yada. He's getting loud, a few people are starting to stop and watch, and the lifeguard heads down to us.

The lifeguard shows up and the porker starts demanding he make me give him the ring or he's going to have the lifeguards job (because he has some very important friends). Anyway, I didn't like the way things were going so I pulled out the ring, held it up and asked him if he was sure this was his wife's ring. He screams "Yes, give it to me now you SOB" and reaches for it again. I step back, say "No problem. I found it, you find it" and sent it sailing out across the water. As super porker and wife, along with a bunch of others, head for the water, I asked the lifeguard if there was anything else. He laughed, said no and I went on my happy way down the beach (with the found ring still in my pouch).

Now understand, the ring I showed him and tossed away (Wallgreens $2.00, kids isle) looked nothing like the ring I had found, in fact it looked much better...lol. Also, his wife (as wide as she was tall and should NOT have been wearing Spandex) would not have have been able to wear either, even as a nose ring. My pouch has three pockets in it. The largest for junk, the next for good stuff and a third very small one. That's the one I keep the special ring in (and a little gold chain, Wallgreens kids isle special also).

Over the years I've had people claim that what I found was theirs and a number of other similar scams. Many of the old timers I know have had similar experiences and most have at least heard stories of these scams. It's a sad fact but true that their are those that want to take your finds. No problem, the meathod of countering them that I have told you is just one of many. Use this or use your imagination. The best however is to avoid the situation completely. These are a few suggestions:

1) Keep what you've found cupped in your hand then drop it into your pouch (examine it more closely later).
2) If asked what you've found. "Just junk today"
3) Always be aware of what's going on around you.
4) DON'T SHOW WHAT YOU'VE FOUND TO ANYONE!!!!

There are many times that I'm asked to find something that someone just lost in the sand. I'm always willing to help out. Many times this can lead to nice tips that will at least pay for the days parking or dinner. However, it's usually pretty obvious when someone is trying a scam.

The beaches are a magnet to scammer's and thieves. Just sit back and watch, you'll see all types of things going on, especially on crowded days. Be alert, protect your finds and enjoy yourself.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Re: NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

ronald99 said:
Well i have to disagree about no crime.

Thief By Deception, Yes he gave up the detector because they wanted to try it out, This man asked for the detector back and they kept on walking,so the consent was obtained by deception.

Had you not been there, They would have been gone with the man's detector, The officer should have used common sense,But then again the crime did not take place in front of Law Enforcement, Also you said the two guy's were drunk in public,

Again this was a arrestable charge

I own a Minelab Excalibur and modified the hip mount, So my detector is always attached to me,Plus i went to Dick's Sporting Goods and purchased a waterproof pouch with a strap around my neck,This plastic pouch is very good, and keeps your cell phone dry and also your keys with the battery operated unlock.

It cost 10 dollars and is well worth having.

And i thought i was the one that said this was a crime,"" Now i understand how that black man felt when Columbus said he discovered America ??? ??? ??? ???

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

TreasureTales said:
Uh, ronald99, do you happen to own Dick's Sporting Goods? (Names mean little in the retail business.) OK, just teasing you a bit. No offense intended.

Paris Hilton told me about this place :D :D :D

T

TreasureTales

ronald99 said:
TreasureTales said:
Uh, ronald99, do you happen to own Dick's Sporting Goods? (Names mean little in the retail business.) OK, just teasing you a bit. No offense intended.

Paris Hilton told me about this place :D :D :D

So you were her cell mate? Hmmm, interesting. ;)

Hey, never give a stranger something of value. How dopey can people be to hand over something of value to some creepy strangers? I don't care how intimidating they seem, you can always use the detector like a club and your digging tool or sand scoop as a head clonker.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's difficult for some of us to understand sometimes. There are many people out there that find themselves easily intimidated and feel that the best way out is to just submit. Their are all kinds of clinical explanations for this. The unfortunate thing about that syndrome is that the world is full of those that will take full advantage. We each make our own choices as to how we live our lives.

Things worked out in this instance but many times they don't. Right or wrong, it's just the way it is.
Deepsix

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have a great Labor Day Weekend. Good hunting to all!!!! Be alert, have fun and find lots of treasure.
Deepsix

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac

I have never had that happen to me . But what I do when people come up to me is tell them all I have found was pulltabs and bottlecaps. The weirdest thing that happend to me was last week at Monterrey I was working a beach at night I was the only one around, finding nothing special just clad and a hotwheel at this time when all of the sodden behind me I here a voice yell I turn and take my headphones of and their is a homeless man standing their. SCAIRED THE CARP OUT OF ME. so I say hows it going. He tells me he lost his wife's wedding bad on that beach and if I had found it. I tell him no rings just pull tabs and bottle caps. He asks if he could see I reply. I need to keep working my way back to my hotel, my wife is excepting me back. Now he starts to get mad and says where is my ring why am I not wearing it. I told him I don't wear it when I hunt.Their was a long pause Then I say goodnight, at the same time as I grab my pocket knife out of my pouch. He hesitated and walks away. Thank god. so I quit for the night. and still haven't told my wife, because I still would like to hunt.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Everyone:

Because of an incident that happened to a friend a couple of days ago, I decided to bring this topic back to life. It is as relevant today as it was then. There seems to be more and more MD'ers out there and the scam artists are still looking for targets.

Deepsix

Bottlemanstx

Oct 6, 2008
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Garret Mark II / White's Classic ID5

I've got to tell ya there is a lot of those out there that just don't give a dam. I usually tend to bring my Beach Brut scoop to the beach with me and if anyone knows how big they are they will understand. I swing it wildly as I come down from my shoulder to the ground and also when I am done just so people stay clear. I have no problem connecting with someone if they step into my circle. People usually steer clear of my path. Once they see how fast I can maneuver this thing they get the point.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carry a beach brute also so I know what you mean.  Everybody stays away.  Even those that may be in the water early when I get there seem to move out of my way.  At least I hope it's the beach brute and not me  ???

I go early and never show my finds.  I have had people try to scam me before or others wanting to see what I found because they supposedly lost something the day before that they don't want to describe  :icon_scratch:

I always say the same thing, "I'm having a normal day today, just pull tabs and a penny or two." It seems to work and they stay away or they go bother someone else that has a detector.  If it's someone that I know then the truth might come out  ;D, and not a fishing story, ok....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use the Beach Brute II, it is basically a 6 pound baseball bat.....

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marty-Graw said:
what happened to your friend?...we wanna know
She was working the lane at a decent low tide in the late afternoon. She doesn't usually hunt alone after dark but had been doing pretty good so after the sun went down just kept hunting until it got to dark to see. She had noticed a couple of guys sitting on the ramp of a Lifeguard station, sharing a bottle and watching her but they had left. She headed back to the parking lot and stopped at the showers to wash off. The two guys from earlier walked out of the shadows and wanted to know what she had found. She said nothing and one got a little irate and demanded her pouch. When he reached for it he got the handle of a stainless steel scoop in the face. The other one tried to grab her and she got a handfull of family jewels and tried to take them home with her.

The guy that got hit with the scoop handle started towards her, saw that she now had a divers knife in her hand and backed off. She grabbed her detector, got to her van and called the cops. They were gone when the cops finally got there but were grabbed a couple of hours later. The one that got the face full of scoop handle had two teeth knocked out and a broken nose. He had checked into an Emergency Room trying to get some pain meds. His buddy had a severe case of swollen jewels.

It seems like incidents like this are happening more and more. This played out well but she was lucky too. Both of those guys were suspect in other similar cases and they both tested positive for HIV. They won't be bothering anyone again for a long time but there seems to always be someone else to take there place.

This was a good lesson for her too and now she never hunts alone. She's got a couple of friends that always go with her, Smith & Wesson.... :wink:

Deepsix

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow what a story!
Those guys got what they deserved and hopefully get put away for a long time.
Your friend... she was very fortunate things were in her favor.
Smith and Wesson would be good addition, but hopefully she actually will take a live buddy, becasue there is strength in numbers.

deepsix47 said:
Marty-Graw said:
what happened to your friend?...we wanna know
She was working the lane at a decent low tide in the late afternoon. She doesn't usually hunt alone after dark but had been doing pretty good so after the sun went down just kept hunting until it got to dark to see. She had noticed a couple of guys sitting on the ramp of a Lifeguard station, sharing a bottle and watching her but they had left. She headed back to the parking lot and stopped at the showers to wash off. The two guys from earlier walked out of the shadows and wanted to know what she had found. She said nothing and one got a little irate and demanded her pouch. When he reached for it he got the handle of a stainless steel scoop in the face. The other one tried to grab her and she got a handfull of family jewels and tried to take them home with her.

The guy that got hit with the scoop handle started towards her, saw that she now had a divers knife in her hand and backed off. She grabbed her detector, got to her van and called the cops. They were gone when the cops finally got there but were grabbed a couple of hours later. The one that got the face full of scoop handle had two teeth knocked out and a broken nose. He had checked into an Emergency Room trying to get some pain meds. His buddy had a severe case of swollen jewels.

It seems like incidents like this are happening more and more. This played out well but she was lucky too. Both of those guys were suspect in other similar cases and they both tested positive for HIV. They won't be bothering anyone again for a long time but there seems to always be someone else to take there place.

This was a good lesson for her too and now she never hunts alone. She's got a couple of friends that always go with her, Smith & Wesson.... :wink:

Deepsix

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Pennies, just pennies and junk. Nobody really wants to mess with a 6'4". 265 pound man who is built like a football player. I'm a big guy and they moe on down the beach. I wear a hip mounted Excal and carry a Beach Brute scoop and a sharp Gator Digger in my pouch. If I'm dry sand hunting then my hunting kit holds a 12 inch Ice Pick, Gator Digger and a rusty but sharp Hunting knife. If you want more protection, don't buy a gun, get a bottle of Pepper Spray but that gets expensive. You can always go cheap and get a small dry chemical fire extinguisher, or Wasp/Hornet Jet spray or Garlic Pam. :o Go ahead an laugh but it'll do a number on the bad guys eyes and make it easy for the cops to find. When dealing with Bad guys, you got to be just as vicious and mean as they are in you are alone. I always try and hunt with a partner and everyone has a Cell Phone and its charged. If I see a fellow TH'er in trouble, I WILL get involved and I won't be smiling. >:( Be safe out there! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device

If someone tried to rob me, I will slash their throat with my shovel by making the first move. I will leave them lay there, call 911, and continue to hunt until the police get there as I do not want my day to be hindered by punks! >:( The last one to make a move usually loses! Don't let them get you first! If anyone asks me if I found anything I would tell them yes....See that dead punk over there? :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions