seahunter noise

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
Was out last night with my SEAHUNTER and there was a pulsing chirp comming over the headphones that was very loud. It would have made it near impossible to hear any faint signals. The detector was still working as it would still sound of loud when it hit a target but in between hits it would just keep squaking. Near drove me me home early. I was in standard mode with no descrimination and the threshold at zero and this tone was still comming through.Switched to descrete mode and it was still there. It has not been a quiet machine from day one and it is only the 6th time out with it. Is anyone else having a similar problem and what could a possible remedy.
The connectors are tight and thye cable looks fine. I was not even in the water when this pulsing began so it was not a water in the connector issue. ???

Any comments would be appreciated

digging 41

Upvote 0

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a new set of batteries, if that doesn't do it then I would suspect maybe a real problem such as poor shielding of the coax cable or something and would send it back to Garrett. They are awesome when it comes to customer service and will definetly make it right for you. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
I tried the batteries but still not make a difference. The worse thing we are in the middle of a postal strike up here so I would have to use a shipping company. I will definitely call Garret though to see if they have any suggestions.
Thanks Captain Loosechange for the suggestion.

Digging 41

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting a nother headset on and see if it still squeels.

OP
OP
D

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
Ron I wish I had another to do just that but unfortunately I just have the one.
Digging 41

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
digging41 said:
Was out last night with my SEAHUNTER and there was a pulsing chirp comming over the headphones that was very loud. It would have made it near impossible to hear any faint signals. The detector was still working as it would still sound of loud when it hit a target but in between hits it would just keep squaking. Near drove me me home early. I was in standard mode with no descrimination and the threshold at zero and this tone was still comming through.Switched to descrete mode and it was still there. It has not been a quiet machine from day one and it is only the 6th time out with it. Is anyone else having a similar problem and what could a possible remedy.
The connectors are tight and thye cable looks fine. I was not even in the water when this pulsing began so it was not a water in the connector issue. ???

Any comments would be appreciated

digging 41

More than likely it will either be in the headset cabling, or possibly a defective coil or coil cable. If you have not coated the coil with Loctite Marine Epoxy, or bed liner, then the stock epoxy will eventually wear through and split out the outer coil plastic from the epoxy. When this happens falsing occurs. Generally, the headphone cabling only gets stressed when the headphones are knocked off your head by a wave. The cabling can overstress on the coil, if you hip mount the unit(a VERY bad idea for water hunting imo).

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My hunting partner had the same problem with his sea Hunter and it was a bad coil. His coil was the 10x14 but it was doing the same thing. If it still chatter in Discrete mode, there is a problem with the machine. Try it one more time, but turn the discrimination up to no more than 3 and see what it does. But I would be making a call to Garrett. Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
D

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
Thanks Can Slaw,

I tried to get in contact with Garrett tonight but because of the time difference I was a little late. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe it is a coil as you suggest. Hopefully Garrett will give me some way ahead.

Digging 41

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digging41 said:
Thanks Can Slaw,

I tried to get in contact with Garrett tonight but because of the time difference I was a little late. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe it is a coil as you suggest. Hopefully Garrett will give me some way ahead.

Digging 41

Had the same issue. Upon further investigation found the lower coil (8") cracked and exposed. I should have noticed earlier but didn't. Sent my system plus coil to Garrett. They checked it out and told me the coil was cracked. Ordered a new coil with them and they sent the box and old coil plus the new coil back.

OP
OP
D

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
I called Garrett today and they told me to send it back for repair. Thanks for everyones input.Hopefully it will not take that long to get it back,

digging41

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread