The dangers of water detecting.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the next few weeks I'm going to pick up my first water detector. I think I'm going to start with the Sand Shark for the freshwater. In 28 years of living around here I've not seen anyone detecting the ponds. Now, I'd be lying if I said I was a strong swimmer, so I don't plan on going to crazy as far as depth goes. What are some dangers I need to look out for when water detecting. Some obvious ones like boats come to mind. Also, is detecting in a river a bad idea? Not a rapid mind you, just a somewhat lazy river.

Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good, old-fashioned common sense plays a big part in the answering your questions IMHO.
Know your limitations (both physical and mental) and be aware of your surroundings at
all times. If you think it might be dangerous, then reconsider your options and look at a
different plan. Good luck to you. Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
CrazySlasher

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Nuggets said:
Good, old-fashioned common sense plays a big part in the answering your questions IMHO.
Know your limitations (both physical and mental) and be aware of your surroundings at
all times. If you think it might be dangerous, then reconsider your options and look at a

I'd be lying if I said my biggest fear wasn't snapping turtles, I'd have some back luck with them in the past :tongue3:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be lying if I said my biggest fear wasn't snapping turtles, I'd have some back luck with them in the past :tongue3:

Really... Snapping turtles :icon_scratch: I've hunted for years in the freshwater and never had an encounter with a turtle. Once while diving a lake one would grab our fins. I guess it thought the fin was something to eat. If you have had problems with turtles I wouldn't wear baggy leg shorts :nono:

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I Just started water hunting a week ago and so far ive found the most danger is in walking to and from the car and getting attacked by questions. Other than that I did walk on water to get out when the first thunder i heard from a storm happened to be from a lightning bolt that was close enough to make my detector have a static sound. Other than that I had a large fish bump into my legs and detector 3 or 4 times in just a couple minutes. Felt like a catfish but I cant be certain. The little fish like to hover around your feet and snap up morsels you are churning up out of your scoop, I assume the big fish like the little ones.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to hunt a fresh water river location that had been a swimming area before 1950. It is now all over grown with trees even hanging off into the water. When I got into the water I saw something fall from a tree and then a splash noise. It was a snake around 4 to 5 feet long. I almost walked on water to get out of there especially when I saw it swim by about 1 foot under the surface. I found out later it was a "harmless" water snake. Down here in Florida there are also the dang alligators......

Have fun hunting. Just be careful of your surroundings.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had experience with them prehistoric beasties. Don't play with the front end. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

As for other dangers, rivers have different bottoms than lakes and the depth can drop off fast. Wade where you can and use a good scoop. I have settled on the Sunspot Stealth for most of the areas I hunt. http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html Try to do most of your wading up stream so the silt will wash behind you. Wear polarized glasses to cut the surface glare and for heavens sake, don't reach into holes in the bank.

You will be less discouraged if you don't get the Sand Shark as that has almost no disc qualities. Get the Tiger Shark instead and you will be much happier. The Sand Shark being a PI will sound off loudly on tin cans, rusted iron hair pins at great depths. Stick with the 8" coil too.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman read my mind, you want the Tiger Shark, not the Sand Shark.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
CrazySlasher said:
Gold Nuggets said:

I'd have to agree with ya I don't like snapping turtles either last year I had one make a Beeline wright towards me had to push it away with my scoop lol I spent the rest of the day looking over my shoulder lol.
I would also wear a good pair of water shoes or tennis shoes that you don't mind getting wet if you are hunting ponds thinking of glass and other junk. This is the rule of thumb I go by "WHEN IN DOUGHT STAY OUT!"
drewan

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
You didn't say how deep or wide this river is, but...

If you are going to be in a river, wear a life vest. You might feel silly, but the bottom of a river, slow-moving or not, can drop off in unexpected places. There was a kayaker that died in the grand river a few weeks back... a life vest could have made the difference. (Granted, the Grand River isn't exactly a safe river. And it's been flooded for the past two months)

I hear of a lot of water deaths every year on the news, and most could have been saved with that simple flotation device.

OP
OP
CrazySlasher

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I've had experience with them prehistoric beasties. Don't play with the front end. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

As for other dangers, rivers have different bottoms than lakes and the depth can drop off fast. Wade where you can and use a good scoop. I have settled on the Sunspot Stealth for most of the areas I hunt. http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html Try to do most of your wading up stream so the silt will wash behind you. Wear polarized glasses to cut the surface glare and for heavens sake, don't reach into holes in the bank.

You will be less discouraged if you don't get the Sand Shark as that has almost no disc qualities. Get the Tiger Shark instead and you will be much happier. The Sand Shark being a PI will sound off loudly on tin cans, rusted iron hair pins at great depths. Stick with the 8" coil too.

I was just coming back to the post to fix my mistake. I'm getting the Tiger Shark, not Sand Shark.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If your worried. Do some pilot tests. Some people use waders. I would never recommend that...unless you only wanna hunt waste deep. However...waders run the risk of filling up with water and that can cause problems. So. Wetsuit. And be prepared to fall backwards and swim backwards if you get to deep. I rarely hunt that deep but sometimes I gotta try for the deepest target and you run the risk of losing your footing.

Anyway...usually all is good and the most dangerous thing is a dog. Or an idiot with nothing better to do then to heckle a detectorist. HH -Joe

CrazySlasher said:
In the next few weeks I'm going to pick up my first water detector. I think I'm going to start with the Sand Shark for the freshwater. In 28 years of living around here I've not seen anyone detecting the ponds. Now, I'd be lying if I said I was a strong swimmer, so I don't plan on going to crazy as far as depth goes. What are some dangers I need to look out for when water detecting. Some obvious ones like boats come to mind. Also, is detecting in a river a bad idea? Not a rapid mind you, just a somewhat lazy river.

dfxone

Dec 12, 2005
ventura, ca.
Detector(s) used
whites DFX, Sovereign GT
All the earlier posts are really great tips. The only tip I can think of that is not mentioned is, do not water hunt alone, have a detecting friend along when you are hunting in the water, that way if you or your friend should step in a hole, or any kind of trouble, you have help nearby. GH, Don

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like sand man said

get yourself a good scoop......not a whimpy one.

good foot gear.
lot of guys who hunt the fresh water use a sifter tooo.

i found the tiger to be heavy and when belt mounted ........that add on bracket would stick in my side, so i made a chest mount job and hung it from my harness.

good luck........keep us posted on your progress and all the fine yellow u may dig up.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not get discouraged if you dig a lot of trash. Some people give up and put the detector in a closet or sell it. Keep digging, the next target may be very worthwhile.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les West Central Fl said:
Do not get discouraged if you dig a lot of trash. Some people give up and put the detector in a closet or sell it. Keep digging, the next target may be very worthwhile.

True statement. I hit spots in the past where everybody said "oh, you will only find garbage there" and walked away with some good stuff. It takes going through a lot of pull tabs, Lincolns, and can slaw to get to the goodies. Don't get discouraged, that's the key.

The advantages of water hunting:

- less people hunt there
- less people bother you
- less garbage to dig (usually)
- more likely to recover GOLD
- etc......

Good luck and enjoy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread