Went to the watering hole and went home with an Indian

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Hi all,
Today was a beautiful day and the kids wanted to go swimming and cool off so off we went. We loaded up into the van and headed for my honey hole. I was happy we did since they wanted to go to a different beach and swim. On the first pass I got a wheaty then the second pass of my grid I got a wisper that was choppy I almost didn't dig it but thought wth I haven't found much here might as well took a scoop and the sig was better then another and it was in the scoop I saw it in the scoop and thought a Canuk penny I only saw part of the face then it showed it's back and I thought AWESOME took a look and I was ear to ear it is a 1873 I.H. :headbang: this is the 2nd I.H. I've dug from here then dug the gold colored ring this one has me baffeled it is stamped something ?? v or k weighs 1.0 grams the wife thinks it says 22k I think wishfull thinking ? dug another wheat and the smallest butter knife I've ever seen lol.
We had a pretty good day.
Thanks for looking
drewan

Attachments

• ih 003.JPG
    ih 003.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 335
  • ih 004.JPG
    ih 004.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 336
  • ih 005.JPG
    ih 005.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 327
  • ih 006.JPG
    ih 006.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice finds. Any chance you can re-size your photos to fit?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I went to the local watering hole once in my drinking days and came home with an indian too... she was a Seminole. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Should've kept her, they get $1000's a month now just for being a Seminole. :notworthy:

Nice finds.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Nice finds! :icon_thumright: I like finding IH pennies, always a cool find. The ring could be 22k. Hit it lightly with a wire brush, if it is 22k then it will shine brightly. What happens to an old ring lost in the water a long time is the copper that is added to the gold will corrode or leach out of the ring. Makes it look a little ratty when you dig it up, but the brush will remove that slight corrosion and the gold will shine through. If it was 22k when made then it is closer to 24k since most of the copper has leached out of the ring over time....HH...Stuart

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, hope your ring find is 22KT. Pure gold does not oxidize.

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
search and recovery said:
Nice finds! :icon_thumright: I like finding IH pennies, always a cool find. The ring could be 22k. Hit it lightly with a wire brush, if it is 22k then it will shine brightly. What happens to an old ring lost in the water a long time is the copper that is added to the gold will corrode or leach out of the ring. Makes it look a little ratty when you dig it up, but the brush will remove that slight corrosion and the gold will shine through. If it was 22k when made then it is closer to 24k since most of the copper has leached out of the ring over time....HH...Stuart
SAR,
I think it's more wishful thinking on her part myself I think it's brass. When I cleaned it I used a polishing cloth and it didn't take much to make it shine the inside that the pic shows is like a wax type coating when that is rubbed off it does shine. I did test it with my mizar gold tester and it didn't test at all. The plus side is the I.H. is worth about 19.00 most expensive penny I have. :laughing7:
HH-drewan

OP
OP
drewan29

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
:sign10: Here we call'em Findians blond haired and blue eyed with tribal plates on the the caddies
diggummup said:
Yeah, I went to the local watering hole once in my drinking days and came home with an indian too... she was a Seminole. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Should've kept her, they get $1000's a month now just for being a Seminole. :notworthy:

Nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions