Backup/spare detector...Which one????

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so here is my relatively simple question....

I have a new Excalibur II and am looking for a second detector to compliment it but also do a few of the following things:

Has to be good on the beach.

I need it to be good for my mom or dad to use along with me, or a friend for that matter who wants to come detecting with me but doesn't have a detector.

Most of the beaches I hunt are kept fairly trash free by all the competition so I am leaning towards a PI unit.

Will a PI ignore waves and current? I know that is one of the downfalls of my Excal, it will false in the waves a bit and I have heard it loses some depth in faster current.

I bought another Excal(with a WOT) but changed my mind because I don't think it would be good for my parents to swing(too awkward).

I am leaning toward the Sand Shark and everyone has said what a good detector it is.....

Thanks,
Aaron

Upvote 0

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
You have a couple good idea's here... don't be afraid of a PI..

Like Goodmore said the Headhunter is a good pulse machine... my hunting partner uses it and I hunt with the Dual Field... we do very well with our machines... if you take the time to learn the the tone you won't dig much more trash than the vlf user does and will find gold deeper... I have to admit I do like reading how using a pulse makes me the disadvantaged one :)

Because a PI doesn't have discrimination we try and do it by ear... wire, nails, sparkler sticks and so on are usually a broken scratchy tone... iron is a long drawn out tone, if you pass them by you have discriminated them out by ear... when targets are shallow, mid-depth listen for narrow targets.. bang, bang dig those unless they are scratchy and broken tones... listen for the whispers of the deepest targets those also will be narrow those are the targets I hope to hear... you are not going to miss any gold chains if you don't dig the scratchy or long tones.. pulse machines aren't very good on gold chains but neither are many machines... because most detectors see a gold chain 1 link at a time...

stpauli914 said:
Everyone here makes valid points. Couple things to clear up... my folks are only in their early 60's and in very good shape. Also, the beaches here on the central gulf coast are for the most part fairly clean(partly due to dewguru) :) If I get a pi, I can always give my folks the excalibur to use and I could swing the pi. I like the idea of having a pi to compliment tje excalibur. In a couple of Clives books he mentions losing depth with the excalibur when working in stronger current/wave action to answer treasures question. Thanks and keep the thoughts and ideas coming! I am still leaning sand shark....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions