New Spot--Its completely unhunted!

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This sounds great right??? Its a swimming hole that has been used for 30 years +. I just got the excal 2 and with some great advice here and pms/ emails I should be in great shape. The problem? I found a cell phone, sunglasses, 27 pop tops, and $8.50 in change(that was totally orange in color from having years of acidic leaves decay on it) all in about 20 yards in one strait line. This was less than 1/10 of the area used as a swimming hole. I found change from 1inch under sand to 12 inches in thick clay. Not a single piece of jewelry in a virgin spot. I know its there. It has to be if all this other stuff is there but is there a chance its just sunken too deep in the clay? Of course I realize i might just not have walked over it this time, but in the well hunted spot ive been going to ive at least found 2 or 3 pieces of fake jewelry for every dollar in change everytime out.

Gaaahhh, cant believe im only 2 weeks into the hobby and im already trying to use stats haha.

Upvote 0

au4me1

Apr 28, 2010
JD, Don't worry, You are just getting all the loud signals first, You are just clearing away all the junk before you get to the goodies. I have been water hunting since the very early Eighties, take it from me you will succeed.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Don't give up my Mark Richt hating friend! I am less than a week into this hobby and I am having a rough go at it despite many hours of MD'ing.

I envy these beach diggers - they need to try some of this rocky clay soil we have in this state.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It shouldn't be sinking very deep in clay, are you sure of your pinpointing.........

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure_Hunter said:
It shouldn't be sinking very deep in clay, are you sure of your pinpointing.........

I am finding iron farm equipment almost a foot down. Trust me this clay sucks. The swimming hole w/a sandy beach was great to dig in compared to this red clay - even though all I found was beer cans.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

I am finding iron farm equipment almost a foot down. Trust me this clay sucks. The swimming hole w/a sandy beach was great to dig in compared to this red clay - even though all I found was beer cans.

I can understand the iron farm equipment sunk in the clay, it is gold and sliver rings and jewelry I would have a hard time finding they sank far in clay......

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
You will find it if it's there. You said you walked in a straight line next time do a grid search # go out as far as you can go move over lt or rt a step or two and overlap on your previous swing half way and go slow can't stress it enough whith the Excal you may not cover alot of ground but you wont miss anything either. Now your getting the light surface junk since it's virgin ground being clay gold and silver shouldn't go that deep in clay. One thing that I heard and found is you have to put your time in and it will come so true. Once you get the easy pickens then the fun starts lol.
HH drewan

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure_Hunter said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

I can understand the iron farm equipment sunk in the clay, it is gold and sliver rings and jewelry I would have a hard time finding they sank far in clay......

I wouldn't know anything about how far those items would sink here, as I haven't found any yet. Personally I think the good stuff here gets sucked to the earth's core.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy what you have here and take your time!! This will be a long project and with patience and persistence you'll find what's to be found!!! Next year the water level maybe lower?!! Good Luck and have fun!!!

SnT

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
It sounds like you have a good spot where a lot of spare change has been dropped. You say you've dug up $8.50 in change. Well, it isn't unusual to have to dig 100 coins for every piece of gold jewelry on typical saltwater beaches. I'd keep at it and you will eventually pull jewelry out of your swimming hole. If you want to experiment with the Excal and you are searching in discrimination mode (not all metal), try digging only the medium pitched (=nickel) tones. You will bypass the pennies, quarters, and dimes, but it will get you to the gold quicker, because of the time saved not digging all the coins. Of course, there are some larger and higher carat gold items that will sound like higher conductors that you will miss using that method. But a majority of the gold jewelry out there is in the mid-conductor range. How's that for statistics? :thumbsup:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the dates on the coins....the "red" may be due to a large amount of iron and/or clay deposits in the water, which can form on coins/metals rather quickly. At any rate, I hunted a beach just like the one you describe and after all the "clutter signals" were removed I started finding some good gold and silver. When I first started hunting the beach it was common to scoop up several coins off the bottom in a single haul. If it's like most freshwater beaches then there will be an area of the beach that is used more heavily then others, usually because of the bottom conditions as most swimmers don't like standing in mucky or weedy areas. These areas are easy to spot if the beach is still being used so it would probably be best to start there. Also, on the beach I hunted that was a lot like the one you describe, I found just as much gold and silver jewelry in the "blanket areas" above the beach then I found in the water, though both produced extremely well before it was all over with. That small beach still stands as the most profitable beach I've ever hunted so stick with it. :thumbsup: It will just take some time getting rid of all the trash and clutter that's probably serving to mask a lot of the good signals that are there. Just stick to it, and dig everything. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Much appreciate the info folks. I understand typical "clay" should hold up things from sinking but this isnt bedrock type clay. This is the kinda stuff you can squish between your fingers into a paste. I believe sand would hold metals up better.

As for the change-- I found one penny from 1995, everything else was from 1965 to 1982. All of the quarters and dimes look completely copper on the surfaces. The nickles are green and the pennies are black. I looked up the cell phone and it was a 2003 model flip phone. Basically this stuff has been laying there a while.

The pinpointing-- I did have some difficulty even with the giant stealth scoop. The biggest problem was trying to dig through clay with while being submerged. You have to really work the handle and add pressure with your body weight to get it to dig otherwise it just packs the clay tighter. The other pinpointing problem was multiple signals in a frisbee sized area. I found a keyring charm that had 3 coins in the same scoop so the excal was singing all kinds of different tones.

The only "low signals" ive dug have been budweiser bottle caps. So at least we know these folks have good taste even if no jewelry. :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD-GA said:
The only "low signals" ive dug have been budweiser bottle caps. So at least we know these folks have good taste even if no jewelry. :headbang:

Budweiser YUCK >:( ........ Drink Moose Drool, a dark ale brewed by Big Sky Breweries :icon_thumright: :occasion14:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good gawd! In the Balmer Maryand area we only use Budwieser to steam our crabs and that's only if we're out of Naty Boh!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep....you got a winner! As you thin out the junk and all the chatter signals the good finds are going to start turning up. :thumbsup:

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you think its there eventually you will find it!!! i had the privledge of hunting a simular swimming area of the same age last fall...2 advantages i had were the swimming area had been drained so the entire area was exposed and it was in a state park where alchohol was not allowed... the dis advantage i had was not knowing the lake was drained until two weeks after it was opened to detecting...lots and lots of others detected before i got there and many after...good target signals were few and far between..however there were a lot of very small chirps and pops between the occasional good signal...i happened to get one of those tiny chirp signals and much to my surprise it was a small gold charm laying right on top.....it wasnt until later that week that i realized all those tiny chirps i had passed up to get to the so called good signals could possibly be gold...long story short i worked that area every weekend i could and low and behold many of those chirps turned out to be gold..very few of which gave the signal i would have expected.... many of these were ear rings,pendents,charms and such...point is only rings give that round sound ...,gold braclets and chain barely gave any signal at all even though they were the heaviest... just food for thought.. ggoooodd luckk...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions