Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I am bummed that my article did not make it into either the July, or apparently the October issue of Lost Treasure! I decided to publish it on my website. I hope you will take a moment to read it and give me your thoughts. Just scroll down when you get to the page. It is titled, "Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started" http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice article! I like the video. You didnt include multi freq and TR detectors for saltwater detectors. But it is for beginners, so dont get them too confused. Keep it up!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stevemc said:
Nice article! I like the video. You didnt include multi freq and TR detectors for saltwater detectors. But it is for beginners, so dont get them too confused. Keep it up!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it and respond Steve! I really appreciate your input, and as I learn more I am sure my writing will improve - especially with this type of support! :notworthy: You Rock! :headbang:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Good article Terry. I like the blues music on the video too.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you JS and S&R! I really appreciate you folks and your feedback! :notworthy:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see a few inaccuracies on the web site and article. One of the videos compiled by you does not give credit to those that made those fantastic finds, nor are they a part of any web site being promoted. The statement about VLF detectors and depth near salt water is not 100% true. There are several good VLF detectors that work very well in salt water conditions. Suggesting that anybody wear chest waders anywhere near high surf with possible rip conditions is very dangerous. Sorry, but you asked for thoughts and those are mine.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I agree about the deadly chest waders even in calmish water. When I first saw the video of you in them, that was the first thing I thought of, those are drowning devices. Then I saw you said to not go over knee deep. But still, some person will try to go deeper and get the waders full and get pulled down. They make some neoprene waders which dont catch water, and are tighter to the skin, keep you warm just like a wetsuit and are not dangerous. They basicly are farmer john bottoms with suspenders on top. If its too cold to go in without a wetsuit, than you should just wear a wetsuit. The little bit of money you save on waders instead of a new wetsuit, might cost you dearly.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you again for all of your insights CS! As we discussed in other forums, my article does -NOT- say -ALL- VLF detectors; there is an advisory to make SURE you have a -WADING BELT- when using waders (up to knee-depth because of wave action); and the video is completely and properly attributed.

I understand that some folks here just don't agree with me, and never will. I'm fine with that. So far, I am very happy with the reaction to the article. The things that were pointed out to me by you, Craig and several others have helped me to learn even more, and I really appreciate that. :headbang:

Can Slaw said:
I see a few inaccuracies on the web site and article. One of the videos compiled by you does not give credit to those that made those fantastic finds, nor are they a part of any web site being promoted. The statement about VLF detectors and depth near salt water is not 100% true. There are several good VLF detectors that work very well in salt water conditions. Suggesting that anybody wear chest waders anywhere near high surf with possible rip conditions is very dangerous. Sorry, but you asked for thoughts and those are mine.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The government charging you to be allowed to metal detect , kid of surprised me when I read your article. Goes to show you the government wants your money and uses it to collect more of your money.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
herb n surf said:
The government charging you to be allowed to metal detect , kid of surprised me when I read your article. Goes to show you the government wants your money and uses it to collect more of your money.

I guess I wasn't as surprised, coming from the gold prospecting side of detecting. We use clubs to lower the cost of gold claims. The clubs I belong to out West run anywhere from $500.00-annually, to $35.00-annually. So, $40 to hunt 25-miles of beach that hosts MILLIONS of folks from all over the world seems like a bargain to me! At least the New York City permit is still free! :thumbsup:

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Terry Soloman said:
Well, I am bummed that my article did not make it into either the July, or apparently the October issue of Lost Treasure! I decided to publish it on my website. I hope you will take a moment to read it and give me your thoughts. Just scroll down when you get to the page. It is titled, "Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started" http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html

Kinda defeats the purpose of youtube showing a slide-show....

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BRC said:

Were we married? Cause botrh of my ex-wives said exactly the same thing! :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :dontknow: :thumbsup:

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
Terry Soloman said:
BRC said:

Were we married? Cause botrh of my ex-wives said exactly the same thing! :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :dontknow: :thumbsup:

Hahaha...You have chosen wisely in the past !!! :icon_thumright:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, I like the video..slide show, music..great pic's

The web page, needs alittle fine tuning but good for the rookies...
Suggesting that anybody wear chest waders anywhere near high surf with possible rip conditions is very dangerous.

I wear them but I also wear a belt, a PFD manually inflated, fully inflated. Winter only....PFD when I feel unsafe during the summer... reminds me I gotta get a new one this year.......

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gemini420 said:
Thanks for sharing your article!

Thank you for taking the time to read it G! And thank you to OBN! :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
That is a good article.
Also thanks for the reminder about detecting both directions, I need to remember to do that in the high target areas

Randy

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Randyd said:
That is a good article.
Also thanks for the reminder about detecting both directions, I need to remember to do that in the high target areas

Randy

Thanks so much Randy! I really appreciate you taking the time to read it! :notworthy: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions