stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

As you all know I was looking for a spare/backup detector for my folks to also swing on our beach vacation next week. I was about to order a new Sand Shark when I received a PM. A member had a Sov. GT he was looking to trade. I don't know why, but a Sovereign had never crossed my mind as a second detector. I don't know why not though. I love the Excalibur II and we are talking about the same BBS technology just not waterproof. I have actually heard it may be better in the wet sand than the Excal II. I also think the Disc and Iron Bias will keep friends and family hunting longer with me instead of digging every piece of trash under the sun :) I will still get a PI down the road when I finally get enough Gold finds to pay for it :) My goal is Christmas! As of now I have 5.1g of gold and 4.1g of Platinum. So at least I have a start :) Any pointers for beach hunting with the Sov. GT??

HH,
Aaron

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You made a very wise choice for what you will use it for and probably the best machine for wet sand hunting. If you can pick up Clive Clynicks book "Finding Gold, Silver and Coin with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur" it has a wealth of information. The biggest tip I can give is, do NOT run the sensitivity to high where your are getting feed back causing a loss of depth.

OP
OP
stpauli914

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw,

Thank you! sounds like the same as the Excal. Better to run the sensitivity a little on the low side as opposed to a little on the high side :) Still trying to figure out how the notch Disc works?

Aaron

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a good machine no question, but under no circumstances can you get the control box wet. Be very careful as you hunt near the water.

Good luck to you on your hunts! :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best choices you could make!!!! It will blow your mind at the depth you'll get if you get a WOT for it. But I don't have one myself cause I am to weak for all the digging. If only the Sov GT was waterproof I wouldn't need the other water detectors.

I never use the Notch and forget now how to set it. :tongue3:

Wayne P

Mar 28, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Blisstool and Fisher F 75 SE
Great choice.. My only comment is slow slow slow.. Swing slow Sovereigns are like us old guys built for comfort not speed. They work best when they are not rushed..LOL

OP
OP
stpauli914

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the tips guys! What are everyones thoughts on the WOT vs. the 12X15 SEF? Also which(if any) meter should I get for it?

Thanks,
Aaron

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the GT. I like it better than the Excal in the wet sand. I chest mount it to keep it high off the ground. I use one of the Sunray meters with a back light. It comes in very handy on a night hunt at the beach. People will tell you that a meter isn't necessary on the beach. I guess it all depends how well you know the tones. With the Sovereign and meter you can tell shallow pull tabs and zinc pennies. Two targets that are a pain on the beach. You can swap out coils. Unless your Excal has some mod done to it that is not possible. And you can wear comfortable headphones. Like the others said. Just don't get it wet. But your going to love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions