Just when I was about to pack it up and go home ...

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
So, I was up early doing some morning beach hunting.

A whole yoga class appeared on the beach and they set up shop just a few feet away from me.

I was about to give them their space and head back home, but I got a light signal. I decided to hold my ground and dig it up (I was there first ...)

I'm glad I did!

I'm hoping this is real, it looks like a nice wedding band, but who knows ... I'm guessing there are plenty of fake wedding bands sold to unsuspecting couples.

Anyone have any good advice on figuring out if your treasure is real or fake?

Shane

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 813
Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! To bad it's fake! For the future, get a jewelers loop and look for the black spots (info pre posted) also any flaws may look like white spots or splinters! Also the first thing I look at is there any wear on the edges and corners of the stone. diamands are so hard there shouldn't be any wear or chipping! But in some cases when a diamond has flaws close to the edges they can chip! Of course always check with a trusted gemologist jeweler! 10k or lower most always fake! 14k and up chances get better!
Bet that one got your pulse going! She's a beauty!

SnT

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say a very nice fake! Too bad on that. Hope you didn't tell your girl it was fake.... :-\

OP
OP
G

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
surfnturf said:
look for the black spots (info pre posted) also any flaws may look like white spots or splinters! Also the first thing I look at is there any wear on the edges and corners of the stone. diamonds are so hard there shouldn't be any wear or chipping! But in some cases when a diamond has flaws close to the edges they can chip! Of course always check with a trusted gemologist jeweler!

SnT

Thanks, I was hoping to learn a little like this (i.e. what a jeweler looks for in real vs fake stones.)

I have a stereoscopic microscope, so I was able to examine the stone under a high magnification. Just didn't know what to look for in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread