Just when I was about to pack it up and go home ...

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
So, I was up early doing some morning beach hunting.

A whole yoga class appeared on the beach and they set up shop just a few feet away from me.

I was about to give them their space and head back home, but I got a light signal. I decided to hold my ground and dig it up (I was there first ...)

I'm glad I did!

I'm hoping this is real, it looks like a nice wedding band, but who knows ... I'm guessing there are plenty of fake wedding bands sold to unsuspecting couples.

Anyone have any good advice on figuring out if your treasure is real or fake?

Shane

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 813
Upvote 0

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is real it is one heck of a find. I would be a little suspicious if there are no markings on it. Something like that ought to be 18K or PLAT if real. Hope it is for ya!!

Aaron

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any markings?? There are a lot of fakes. If you take it to a jeweler have him test it in front of you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Shane, was it 420 when you got home? :laughing7: WOW! From a guy STILL swinging for his first beach ring - CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbsup:

Gemini420 said:
So, I was up early doing some morning beach hunting.

A whole yoga class appeared on the beach and they set up shop just a few feet away from me.

I was about to give them their space and head back home, but I got a light signal. I decided to hold my ground and dig it up (I was there first ...)

I'm glad I did!

I'm hoping this is real, it looks like a nice wedding band, but who knows ... I'm guessing there are plenty of fake wedding bands sold to unsuspecting couples.

Anyone have any good advice on figuring out if your treasure is real or fake?

Shane

OP
OP
G

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
Nope, no markings on the band. I agree that's a red flag.

I will need to find a jeweler to take a look. I'm assuming that most jewelers will charge for an appraisal though ...

I'd like to learn a little about how to tell whats real VS fake for myself.

I know there are some techniques like a 'hot breath' test for diamonds, etc. i.e. Diamonds should not get foggy when you huff on them. If they do, it should clear almost instantly. Other stones and glass will stay foggy for a few seconds before clearing up. I think this has to do with how diamonds dissipate heat so well.

Either way, my girl is pretty excited about the find. She put it on, smiled and went off wearing it. Sigh ...

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to three jewelers with a ring. None of them charged me for testing the metal or the stone. Go for it!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now is a good time to become good friends with a local jeweler or pawn shop owner. My local jeweler loves it when I bring in finds even though I do my own acid testing. He always wants to have coffee and hear about detecting. He has also sold a few of my diamonds for me at a good price and tells me what I should be able to sell a used piece for on the street that is to good to scrap.

My pawn shop owner retired, darn it! I use to put my jewelery with him on consignment for a 10-15% commission. I sure miss that outlet for selling my gold as he could get top used jewelry prices.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
very pretty!! I found a plat and diamond ring with no markings, worth over $18 grand so you never know!

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing how that is probably worth a few grand if real, it's worth it to buy a gold acid test kit and diamond tester off amazon/ebay. Even if not real, you can now test all your finds!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its a fake, its the nicest fake I've ever seen! :icon_thumleft:

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because its not stamped does not mean its not real.If you have a loop look for carbon.(black dots).It looks like the real deal from here :tongue3:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Real or not, that is one nice looking ring! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a dazzler, Gemini :headbang:

I hope you get good news from the jeweler about this one

Lorraine

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it's not real, just remember....."it could have been!" :thumbsup: And if it is real....let me take a moment now to share the excitement with you.........Whooooohooooo! Oh Yes! :headbang: That's what I'm talking about! Whoooohoooo! :headbang:

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Might have been from the yoga class,if they meet there regularly.Almost too
good for a fake. HH Joe

OP
OP
G

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
I followed all of your advice and went to a few jewelers.

Unfortunately, it's not real ... :'(

Which means it's worth ~$50, not $,$$$.

I'll keep it as an encouraging incentive to keep looking for the real deal ...
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread