Bittersweet Fourth / On my way to Long Island

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent the Fourth at a friend's beach house, on Silver Beach in Milford, Connecticut yesterday. No detecting, just relaxing with family and friends. Unfortunately, a search and rescue operation by the Coast Guard, quickly turned into a body recovery just 200-yards off-shore from us near Charles Island.

A swimmer from Silver Sands State Park, just a quarter-mile down the beach. We still had a great day and enjoyed the Fireworks, but I must say that there were also prayers offered for the victim, the families and the Search and Rescue folks that have to deal with this every day. A sobering reminder that you just don't know what the plan is..

I'll be off to Jones Beach State Park on Long Island in about two-hours, to be there at 4am - one-hour before low tide. They had to CLOSE the beach at 1230pm because it was FULL on July 4th - Oh Baby! I hope today is the day! - T

Attachments

• bnh654.jpg
    bnh654.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 0

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the recovery thing happen when I was a kid. It remains fresh in my mind. Horrible.
Good luck on your hunt today, Terry. I envy you saltwater beach guys. Here on Lake Erie there's very little public access to the water and most beaches are state parks (off limits).

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a terrible tragedy. I'm sorry for the loss of a life at this dangerous area of Silver Sands.

In the background is " Charles Island", an island full of history...some say Captain Kidd passed through the island and left some treasures for us to find.

The sand bar that makes Charles Island accessible at low tide is very inviting to beach goers, but it is a dangerous area due to strong currents as the tide comes in. Each year there are reported accidents, near drownings, and people stranded at the island resulting from over -confident / careless people who walk out to the island, stay a while too long there, and then are unable to return to shore.

Hey Terry.....I think I was detecting in front of that house a few weeks ago...it's a pleasant area to detect at low tide. Maybe I'll see you there sometime this summer.

Lorraine

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
Hello Terry
According to this mornings news, the body of a 37 year old man has been recovered. The beach is well known in the area. There is a small island off shore that is accessible by a sand bar. There are signs stating that the sand bar is underwater twice a day at high tide, and there are strong currents that are dangerous. The man went to the island with a nine year old boy. When the tide came in he tried to swim to shore. The boy had to be rescued from the island. A very sad end to a holiday.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I was in the water at 4:10am, the east-end of Field #6 at Jones Beach State Park, on Long Island. Let's just say it was a L-O-N-G, five-and-a-half-hours of hard hunting, with very little to write about. Myself and another fella arrived at 4am, then the flood gates opened around 530am. I counted at least 14-machines on the beach and in the water by 7am. The herd went west toward Field #2 (which is the smart thing to do as more people use the western beaches), so I peeled off and swung east. Low tide hit at 5am, and by 8am, the waves were dangerous with a riptide coming in, so I went feet dry.

Found my first pair of sunglasses, two new #4 lead weights, a dollar bill floating in the surf, house keys, half a fishing lure, a nickel, some pennies and a quarter.. Yeah, I'm a pirate :icon_pirat: LOL! :laughing7: So I gridded the sand for two more hours and came up with some more clad, an unused still packaged condom, a metal spring, some bobbypins, bottlecaps, pulltabs.. and a nice morning at the beach.

I think the beach gods want me to appreciate my first ring, because they are making me WORK for it! :tongue3: Ahhhhhhhhh...! :laughing7:

Attachments

• jones7511a.jpg
    jones7511a.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 288
  • jones7511b.jpg
    jones7511b.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 297
  • jones7511.jpg
    jones7511.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 312

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I like the dedication it takes to get to a beach at 4am! Hat's off!!

Any hunt that produces usable Sunglasses is a successful hunt. Hunting Ocean City NJ two weeks ago I scooped a perfect pair of RayBans.

A bottle cap story: I was hunting the wet when a crowd gathered as I scooped a target. Two shots to get it in the scoop and shaky shaky, it was a Heineken beer bottle cap. I took it out of the scoop, looked at it, and exclaimed "Oh my God, a 1956 Heineken DBSC, wow!!!!!! The crowd let out an appreciative AH!!!!!

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

HH

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tjc45 said:
..A bottle cap story: I was hunting the wet when a crowd gathered as I scooped a target. Two shots to get it in the scoop and shaky shaky, it was a Heineken beer bottle cap. I took it out of the scoop, looked at it, and exclaimed "Oh my God, a 1956 Heineken DBSC, wow!!!!!! The crowd let out an appreciative AH!!!!!

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

HH

Great story - LOL! :laughing7: :hello2: Thank you for the encouragement! :thumbsup:

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep swinging, Terry! That AU ring is sure to come!! :headbang: Hey, sunglasses and an unused condom - you are set in the event the need arises! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread