Times Are Changing!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good old days, for me anyway, weren’t actually that long ago. In fact, they weren’t that long ago at all, maybe 15 years or so. Back then I was running up to Michigan at least a couple of times a month during the warmer seasons, camping, kayaking, fishing, metal detecting, man, how I really enjoyed that. Just 10 years ago I could go up to Michigan and come back home with a good sized bag full of coins and a whole lot of jewelry, now…..just finding some pocket change a couple of nice rings is a real challenge. Hardly ever saw anybody at most of the smaller campgrounds up in the U.P., let alone another guy with a detector. In recent years up there I’ve hunted entire beaches without so much as a whisper from my machine. Heck, there was always an abundance of targets in the water, but sadly, not anymore. It was rare that I ever saw anyone else with a kayak, now they’re everywhere!

Wasn’t that long ago I could drive down to Florida and maybe, I say “maybe” see a couple of other people swinging a detector on the beach. Last morning I was over at the beach I counted seven evenly spaced out, and that was right in the heat of the day and they were all, “good machines”. I didn’t even bother to get of the truck, just kept driving along the beach. Times have really changed in our hobby, and in really what amounts to just a few short years. Really depressing, extremely disheartening, and almost deflating, if not completely defeating. So, I think all you other guys should just give up! :laughing7: (Just Kidding!)

But seriously, the competition & numbers have gone way up out there in recent years, in a lot of different areas of interest.

Upvote 0

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Yes indeed, the enemy is certainly us.

Some wake up early.
They discover these forums and hit the ground running, posting after every hunt with close ups of carat stamps, weights, etc.
Then eventually realization dawns that all they are doing is encouraging more and more competition and one day they disappear, happily lurking in the background, learning where they can and keeping their mouths shut.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A successful day for me = being out with friends and lookin at eye candy....it doesn't take much to make me happy. I want to find gold, but I don't get mad if I strike out, I"ll get it next time.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the keyword here is "accessibility".......in the last 15 - 20 years everything has become user friendly and much easier to access. If you want to learn about "anything" just jump on line and with a few clicks of the mouse you can access all the information you need. The word, "newbie" has a whole new meaning now, as in, "not a completely blind newbie". Much easier to start getting involved with things on your own now. I think this plays a huge role in things. :dontknow:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
I think the keyword here is "accessibility".......in the last 15 - 20 years everything has become user friendly and much easier to access. If you want to learn about "anything" just jump on line and with a few clicks of the mouse you can access all the information you need. The word, "newbie" has a whole new meaning now, as in, "not a completely blind newbie". Much easier to start getting involved with things on your own now. I think this plays a huge role in things. :dontknow:
You hit the nail on the head. I started detecting 18 months ago and I learned so much from this forum, I had a very small learnig curve. I knew how to use the detector before I got it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:

Right there with you Lookindown, Bigscoop nailed it! :thumbsup: By the way, my "Good Old Days," began on 7-11-11. My first water ring (Titanium, size 12). Wonder what the kids 20-years from now will remember as their good old days on the beach? :icon_sunny:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in Daytona for example you can drive miles on the beach so i can't see how it's covered. Most people i see really have no clue, poke around a lil and leave. I know it's there but with 5 foot or sand or so, only fresh drops, a lil sand movement will sure help' Just get out there...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I am fairly new to detecting(5 yrs or so), for the LIFE of me, I can't figure why I wasn't doing this for the last 30 yrs, especially when I lived on the beach here in Hollywood and Dania!

This is not an easy hobby! It takes money, time, and disassociation from folks(to degrees, family, friends). Some days are diamonds, some are stones. But, new friends are found to be had, in this hobby, too!
Cost of equipment, repairs, scoops, gas, traveling, time, it all adds up.
Are any of us really doing this to "get rich"? I make enough in finds, to qualify for welfare and foodstamps(if I reported).

I cringe, when I see my competitions out there, but ya know what?
They only get to me, if I drive on, and don't go stick my stick, in the water, so to say!
I've found gold, right behind another detectorist before, so, they don't scare me!

Also being a native Floridian, this is our state, our beaches, our world.
At least knowing there are other like minds out there, helps. I got no problem sharing.
Welcome everyone, to our world, and good luck! Go for the gold!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
While I am fairly new to detecting(5 yrs or so), for the LIFE of me, I can't figure why I wasn't doing this for the last 30 yrs, especially when I lived on the beach here in Hollywood and Dania!

This is not an easy hobby! It takes money, time, and disassociation from folks(to degrees, family, friends). Some days are diamonds, some are stones. But, new friends are found to be had, in this hobby, too!
Cost of equipment, repairs, scoops, gas, traveling, time, it all adds up.
Are any of us really doing this to "get rich"? I make enough in finds, to qualify for welfare and foodstamps(if I reported).

I cringe, when I see my competitions out there, but ya know what?
They only get to me, if I drive on, and don't go stick my stick, in the water, so to say!
I've found gold, right behind another detectorist before, so, they don't scare me!

Also being a native Floridian, this is our state, our beaches, our world.
At least knowing there are other like minds out there, helps. I got no problem sharing.
Welcome everyone, to our world, and good luck! Go for the gold!
You have the right mind set :icon_thumleft:......Im just glad I live in Florida, where everyone wants to detect. I could live in a state with no beach, but I live in paradise. My number one goal is to find gold, but I get alot more out of this hobby than just finding treasure. Look at all the positive things about your day, not just the one negative of not finding a gold ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
I can't for the life of me figure out why folks post their water finds. Shooting yourselves in the foot just to brag - I don't get it.
Not everyone is in it for the money, some are in it for the fame. :icon_sunny: ;D :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread