Sand/Water Scoops

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
Hi there,

I am trying to step up my game and get a proper sand/water scoop, but I am totally shocked at the prices. The market for these scoops is soooooo overpriced considering what they are made of.

A product of similar size and materials (like a nice shovel or sledge hammer, etc.) are $20 - $40 at most hardware stores. Even a carbon fiber and titanium golf club can be found for less money than a steel welded water scoop!

So, I went searching for a reasonably priced sand/water scoop. I figure *someone* out there must be selling these for what they are worth. These things are not high tech construction or anything! A local body shop could custom make one of these for about the same $180 retail price.

Anyways, does anyone know where to find a durable long handle sand/water scoop for a reasonable price? I will happily pay what it is worth, but refuse to buy one for $180 on principal alone. Even the used ones seem to be going for highly inflated prices.

I searched and searched online, but seem to keep finding the same overpriced products.

Maybe there is an existing digging product (for another purpose), called by another name?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

P.S. I ran into a guy detecting on the beach last week. He was swinging a Whites BeachHunter ID. We chatted about sand/surf detecting, and the interference issues in the water. He mentioned that he was not out detecting much anymore and that he had a second Whites BeachHunter ID at home that he was trying to sell online (with no buyers.) I took him up on the offer and bought the Whites BeachHunter ID, plus two used hand scoops for $200. I'm feeling like this was a great deal. The detector works and everything. Realistically, me buying a second detector was a little premature on my part. I'm new to all of this, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. The same model, albeit old is still for sale at a local store for $1000.) Testing it out, the BeachHunter ID definitely cuts through the interference issues in the water and wet sand, and it seems to have much better discrimination/identification than my Bounty Hunter. So far I'm very happy. I've heard that Whites will upgrade this unit to the BeachHunter 300 model by swapping out some parts? Anyone have any experience with this? Is that worth the effort? Costs?

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, in the picture up the thread some, you showed a sheet of titanium...
"Gauge .071 Timet... 6-4". that one sheet looks to be about 15"x20" + or -.
Could you tell us what that one piece of metal cost you to get to your door?
I'm sure it was cheap... after all, it was a drop piece some company had left over and it would be just above scrap price
... Right!?
We priced some local...it was like 38 a pound, then I got hold of this guy on ebay, juan..who worked with us on the grain, he found some gave us a price of under 20 a pound and the rest is history. 176. plus shipping

H2o..you will be the first to know buddy...got to have a rep in the islands... :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• SNAG-0003.jpg
    SNAG-0003.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 777

aingill24k

Greenie
Feb 25, 2010
florida east coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter MKII/ custom scoop
lookindown said:
aingill24k said:
Here is my scoop. 8inches wide, 16 inches deep stainless steel. Gets Target out of the hole on first scoop 95% of the time even on whispers.. I had it custom made after losing some sweet sounding targets in soupy wet sand with another scoop. Cost me more than my Sea Hunter and I would do it again. So yes Oldbeechnut, I think there is a market for higher end scoops.
HH, Todd
Nice looking scoop. How much does it weigh?

12 pounds. I was worried initially if I could drag this thing around 5-6 hours at a time, but I got used to it quickly. In the water, its no big deal and it helps to anchor you in ruff surf as Joe mentioned. I initially tried to get it fabricated in titanium, but I couldn't locate anybody to do it locally. In the water, I use the handle on the shaft to pull the full bucket of sand out of the hole. After checking hole with md, I rock the scoop back and forth on the bottom which rids 90 percent of the sand out. Then I raise the bucket above water level to retrieve the find.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard that heavy scoops are an advantage in rough water.

POPS

Greenie
Oct 9, 2005
I am brand new to MDing and have been depending on what information I have been able to assimulate from this site. I purchased a Garrett AT Pro and went to one of the local freshwater beaches on Monday. Didn't do well, just one Roosevelt dime and some bottle caps and a pull tab. I kept looking at the lake, but having nothing to dig with in the lake and not having water proof head phones, I just kept on dry sand. Well today I ordered a Sunspot 6.5 which they recommend over the 8" for someone new and because of my senior age and ordered water proof head phones. Someone above mentioned what a pleasure the people at Sunspot were to work with and I concurr entirely. They don't accept credit cards and I needed to mail a check or money order, but; that didn't matter concerning shipping the scoop to me which they shipped today before the money was even in the mailed. Pop

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
POPS said:
I am brand new to MDing and have been depending on what information I have been able to assimulate from this site. I purchased a Garrett AT Pro and went to one of the local freshwater beaches on Monday. Didn't do well, just one Roosevelt dime and some bottle caps and a pull tab. I kept looking at the lake, but having nothing to dig with in the lake and not having water proof head phones, I just kept on dry sand. Well today I ordered a Sunspot 6.5 which they recommend over the 8" for someone new and because of my senior age and ordered water proof head phones. Someone above mentioned what a pleasure the people at Sunspot were to work with and I concurr entirely. They don't accept credit cards and I needed to mail a check or money order, but; that didn't matter concerning shipping the scoop to me which they shipped today before the money was even in the mailed. Pop

John, if you don't mind my asking, what is your age? I am 63 and I'm using a 8.5 inch scoop weighing 5 pounds. Since your hunting fresh water the 6.5 inch should be okay, if you were hunting saltwater you would want a larger scoop to get the target as quick as possible in between waves or swells......

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
POPS said:
You did the right thing, the good stuff is in the water, not always but most times. :icon_thumleft:

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are handy and want to make your own go to the gravedigger max post about three quarters down this page titled -we all stumbled..... you can see the scoop i made ....only cost me bout 10 bucks mostly cause i had the tools and patience to make it...and in no way am i implying its better than one you can buy ,but if i lived 100 miles closer to the beach id be willing to 100 more dollars....i made mine out of a piece of calphon cookware...was a 6inch heavy stainless bowl....marked it with marker and spent the afternoon grinding it to shape... drilled bigger holes toward top for coin sized objects and small holes on bottom for earings....drilled small pilot holes with colbalt drill bit and drilled them the rest of the way with a vary bit.... got the shovel handle out of someones garbage and the u-bolts were about 1.50each at tractor supply.....i struggle on some of the deeper water targets but other than that i can pretty much hold my own... or if you are going to do alot of beach hunting buy a good new or used one.....i gotta kinda agree with you --they are expensive,,but you even said it yourself -the used ones arent all that cheap either...but that shows that a good scoop will hold its value...so if you buy a new one you will get at least half your money back when you sell it...good luck....

POPS

Greenie
Oct 9, 2005
I don't mind you asking at all. I am 68. I don't live near saltwater. I live in an area of mostly private communities which almost all have their own freshwater lakes and beaches. Many are large enough that they have as many as 4 or 5 beaches. The community where I live has 3 beaches, but only 2 are really very active. I can get access to other communties also as guests of people I know that live in them. During the summer, many of the homes are rented on a weekly basis and the beaches get crowded. I took the recommendation of the person I spoke with when ordering the scoop. I figured if I am 25% as successful as I think this adventure will be, I will purchase the larger scoop and take a vacation at the Jersery shore or to Sarasota Fla. which I love. John

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Something else to consider is that MDing pays for itself over time, so whatever you invest in GOOD equipment will be paid back with your finds. I do not water hunt, but have been active in this hobby for a long time. I have 4 detectors and all have paid for themselves.

A nice ring or two will more than pay for a good scoop. You will recoup your expense over time.

HH

Ray S ECenFL

POPS

Greenie
Oct 9, 2005
Yes Ray, is that the same as the theory my wife told me many years ago before we were married, "two can live as cheaply as one"? :laughing7:

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Number9. Hello.
I am with you long ago did not communicate.
you made ​​new titanium scooop?
I'll be doing a titanium only in winter, when free time
(now barely cope with stainless steel do ...:))
my email [email protected]

Ruslan.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gemini420

i may have a deal for you.

last week my buddy chuck was in town plundering va beach for yellow, things have been very slow here, so i told him lets take a road trip. he did not have a very big scoop so he contacted a local fellow here who had a homemade alum. scoop for sale...$50.00......he purchased it and away we went........our hunt is below a few down.

anyway, when he departed va beach and headed home, he said how about i leave this scoop with you and u see if u can sell it for me........

it is a big scoop.....48" long........almost 8" dia......has 90* lifting handle.......not sure of weight, but over 6 lbs.

if you or anyone else is interested in this beast, let me know.
some pics - f y i only

Attachments

• snapshot_013.jpg
    snapshot_013.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 443

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
stavr

Hello, it's been a long time since we've talked... how you been?
I still have the same two scoops I built... I haven't made any more.
Are you going to make scoops from titanium?
You shouldn't have a problem finding titanium...
Today, the world's largest producer, Russian-based VSMPO-Avisma, is estimated to account for about 29% of the world market share of titanium.

Oh... the SR-71 "Blackbird" was built using Russian titanium!

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Number9. clarify a bit ... : Ukrainian titanium .
titanium weld quality have learned for the first time in Ukraine, Institute of Electric Welding Institute( Patona)

Of course, no problem, but to comply with all the technology and use a special tool for cutting - not an easy task.

I will make a model of scoop of titanium, a model of "Evroexcavator-2"
and will weigh 0.6 kg of Ti vs. 1.05 kg of SS
This is unlikely to do business (price around $ 400) ,
but very nice to use himself ..... :)

Ruslan.

Attachments

• evroexcavator-2 v22.jpg
    evroexcavator-2 v22.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 424

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, it's an old thread, but I'm looking for a new scoop and want to see if there is anything new on the market that is strong and light. I've looked and handled the Stealth 720 and find it feels pretty heavy. Has anyone used the Diamond Head scoop by Nuttall? Any feedback on it? Looks good but how well does it last?

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would avoid the 720i. It's built well but its size makes it useless and difficult to use. It is also overpriced. There are smaller less expensive scoops that can do the same thing. On top of it all the company has bad business practices. They screwed me out of $10. I had ordered the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole model. I notified them to hopefully get the difference refunded and I got scammed. It has been more than a month and no refund on my $10. They said ship it back and they would pay for the shipping. I explained it would be best to keep the scoop and save on the shipping and just refund me the $10. I think they would have tried to screw me on the return shipping. Looks like I was right, I tried to save them money and they sure kept and pocketed the $10 difference. Good thing I didn't pay the $20 to return ship and get shorted. I would avoid the stealth scoop and company at all cost.

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0266.jpg

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would avoid the 720i. It built well but it's size makes it useless and difficult to use. It is also overpriced. There are smaller less expensive scoops that can do the same thing. On top of it all the company has bad business practices. They screwed me out of $10. I had ordered the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole model. I notified them to hopefully get the difference refunded and I got scammed. It has been more than a month and no refund on my $10. They said ship it back and they would pay for the shipping. I explained it would be best to keep the scoop and save on the shipping and just refund me the $10. I think they would have tried to screw me on the return shipping. Looks like I was right, I tried to save them money and they sure kept and pocketed the $10 difference. Good think I didn't pay the $20 to return ship and get shorted. I would avoid the stealth scoop and company at all cost.

View attachment 794789 View attachment 794790
Pi Rat, Sunspot did you a favor by sending you the half inch hole scoop instead of what you thought you wanted as the quarter inch holes would be to small for you to use well because of larger material plugging up the holes. You refused to ship it back to them and they then would be out of shipping the smaller one back to you. When scooping in the surf you need a good sized bucket to grab the sand for the first retrieval of the item before the hole fills in on you. There are other scoops that are almost as good and size for size they cost the same unless you get into titanium and then the price sky rockets because of cost and special welding problems. Sunspot did you a favor whether you know it or not.

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman- They still did not refund the $10 difference. I'm not here to promote a bad product or bad business practice. The scoop is over sized and it's over priced. I could have saved myself $75 buying a smaller stainless scoop that cost less. And I'm going to let everyone looking to buy a new scoop know it. I pay for quality product and good business practice. I don't pay for favors in the form of not being refunded $10. And I'm not the manufacturers "buddy" or friend promoting their product.

Bonjour.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman- They still did not refund the $10 difference. I'm not here to promote a bad product or bad business practice. The scoop is over sized and it's over priced. I could have saved myself $75 buying a smaller stainless scoop that cost less. And I'm going to let everyone looking to buy a new scoop know it. I pay for quality product and good business practice. I don't pay for favors in the form of not being refunded $10. And I'm not the manufacturers "buddy" or friend promoting their product.

Bonjour.
I am sorry you feel that way. You can offer to sell the Sunspot in the Classified Section if you were a Charter Member and recoup your money. Then You could buy what ever smaller scoop you wanted. Sure they make smaller alum scoops and some are even SS, but in the surf you would want that larger size. Some of these smaller scoops are made by http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgroyalscoops.htm Check their prices for what you get. Or you could add hardware cloth to the inside of your Sunspot so you'd have those smaller holes. Chuck is my friend and I am proud to call him that.

Dennis/Sandman

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions