Sand/Water Scoops

Gemini420

Jun 27, 2011
Hi there,

I am trying to step up my game and get a proper sand/water scoop, but I am totally shocked at the prices. The market for these scoops is soooooo overpriced considering what they are made of.

A product of similar size and materials (like a nice shovel or sledge hammer, etc.) are $20 - $40 at most hardware stores. Even a carbon fiber and titanium golf club can be found for less money than a steel welded water scoop!

So, I went searching for a reasonably priced sand/water scoop. I figure *someone* out there must be selling these for what they are worth. These things are not high tech construction or anything! A local body shop could custom make one of these for about the same $180 retail price.

Anyways, does anyone know where to find a durable long handle sand/water scoop for a reasonable price? I will happily pay what it is worth, but refuse to buy one for $180 on principal alone. Even the used ones seem to be going for highly inflated prices.

I searched and searched online, but seem to keep finding the same overpriced products.

Maybe there is an existing digging product (for another purpose), called by another name?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

P.S. I ran into a guy detecting on the beach last week. He was swinging a Whites BeachHunter ID. We chatted about sand/surf detecting, and the interference issues in the water. He mentioned that he was not out detecting much anymore and that he had a second Whites BeachHunter ID at home that he was trying to sell online (with no buyers.) I took him up on the offer and bought the Whites BeachHunter ID, plus two used hand scoops for $200. I'm feeling like this was a great deal. The detector works and everything. Realistically, me buying a second detector was a little premature on my part. I'm new to all of this, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. The same model, albeit old is still for sale at a local store for $1000.) Testing it out, the BeachHunter ID definitely cuts through the interference issues in the water and wet sand, and it seems to have much better discrimination/identification than my Bounty Hunter. So far I'm very happy. I've heard that Whites will upgrade this unit to the BeachHunter 300 model by swapping out some parts? Anyone have any experience with this? Is that worth the effort? Costs?

Upvote 0

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a post earlier with a guy wanting to sell a scoop for $100 shipped. It would cost $150 anywhere else so if I needed a scoop I would probably buy that one. Here is that post, I don't know the guy (rey914v8) personally so maybe some other members can vouch for him. There are also a lot of scoops in that thread that are really nice. BTW, A good working BeachHunter ID with 2 hand scoops for $200 is a fantastic buy.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,411153.0.html

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are out there hunting with a good detector yet you think quality scoops are over priced? These scoops cost $$$ to build as the holes aren't just drilled into Stainless Steel. The Sunspot Stealth scoops are worth twice the money since you won't have to buy one every year as they will just hold up forever. To want to use a good detector so as to not waste time is wise. So is investing in a quality scoop which won't bend in the wet sand or make your own every couple weeks. Time is the only thing you never get back also goes for using a good scoop.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html :thumbsup:

Norm, Thegoldenoldie used them. http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a friend that is in the process of marketing a scoop very soon, with all the trouble that has went into the design cost, and testing you might understand were these guys that build them charge what they do. Just a short taste of his cost.....He has just filed for a patent because of the unique design..big bucks..in the area of 2500 dollars...and that's just for the first year. The computer program that sets up for the material to be cut (lazer/waterjet/punched), I guess you would call it the software program, cost him over a 1000 dollars, and that is just one design of cut. His web page design, big bucks..and this is just the beginning..The hours that go into this are countless, .....So when I see I great looking scoop from Steve (kaptainkosmic), Reilly's or a Nuttal...I know there is more to it then just a Grinder, drill and a MiG welder...
When I'm in harsh hunting conditions, and the target has that good old gold tone..I want the best scoop for the job.........That One Piece of Gold can pay for it all....

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good scoop is not cheap but then again it will last many years. The aluminum ones I have used are made of aircraft aluminum. There is nothing worse than going to a beach, digging jewelry and your scoop poops!! Just my personal opinion!

tazz1

Apr 28, 2011
CT
Detector(s) used
Dual Field
Sand Shark
E trac
Excal 2
Sov GT
Tek G2
Tejon
I think you'd be suprised to see what goes into making a scoop. First off, a 20 to 40 dollar shovel isn't stainless, nor does it have holes punched, bent metal or nice welds. Yes, im sure theres a decent mark up being such a specialty item but you find one decent ring and its paid for. I just bought the larger sunspot stealth and WOW what a great scoop. I used it once and sold my diamond head the next day. After using the stealth id say it is well worth the few extra bucks compared to all the others.

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
I have a Sunspot Stealth 8" and when I see the materials and the workmanship that went into making it I think $189 is a very reasonable price/ Just ordered a second for my friend. As soon as he saw mine he had to have one/
Also the people at Sunspot are super to deal with.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey Shane...
I have a great idea!
Most of those over priced scoops don't have more than about $35-$45 worth of material to make them.
So, why don't you just buy the raw materials and make one for yourself! Just think of the money you'll save and you will have a scoop custom built just for you!

But, you need to make sure you know how to design a great tool... then you must know how to fabricate metal... and have the tools to do the work... you can tig weld all metals, can't you? If you have to "farm-out" some of the work, the price of your scoop may go up some? Most metal fabrication shops charge about $100 an hour for custom work with a minimum of two hours. A custom fab shop and a body shop are two different animals!

I think the main problem is, most people don't see what it really takes to produce a scoop for the market? Do you?

A good quality scoop with a good guarantee for under $200 is a great deal! And sometimes I wonder how they stay in business selling them at such a low price!

I've been there... done that!
I built both the scoops the wife and I use. Why? Because I knew what I wanted and I had the knowledge and experience
to make them by hand without the high priced equipment. I have about $150 just in material cost for each scoop. Some would view this as crazy, I'm sure! I've turned down offers of $500 for each scoop... I'll just keep'm.
The only problem I've had with the scoops is, the wife won't let me use her "light one"... it weighs less than my heavy weight 3 pound scoop.

They're both made of titanium.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This very same topic pops up every 60 days or so..........

You get what you pay for, buy a cheap scoop and you will have a broken piece of crap shortly.... I paided $200 with tax for mine, 3 years ago and I could post it for sale for $150 and get it......You do not lose money on a good scoop it is just invested in a tool you can sell down the road if ytou want and get most of your money back, if you consider the gold, silver, plat and clad recover with it you get all of it back.......

Next to your detector your scoop is the most important tool you have if your a water hunter....... If your a fisherman, do you spend hundreds on your fishing rods, then use cheap string for the line because the good line is expensive.....

As far as the BHID upgrade, it is well worth it, but it will cost you couple hundred $...........

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Here is my scoop. It's a clam rake by Jeros Tackle. I just put 1/4 rat wire inside. It has a 5 foot handle and the opening is 11X5 inches. It works great, especially with the teeth. I figured if it's used to dig clams out of the salt water, then why not treasures.
Best part......$36.99 total for the rake and handle and I had the rat wire.
It's strong too.
MD Finds 006.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm.. Ranting already? :laughing7: Welcome to the addiction. The right tools cost money. The wrong tools cost even MORE money. Heck, a Talon gold prospecting pick can run $120.00. A good RTG Aluminum scoop is about $140.00 shipped. You can't build one that will last for that unless you have your own shop. Good Luck! :headbang:

Gemini420 said:
Hi there,

I am trying to step up my game and get a proper sand/water scoop, but I am totally shocked at the prices. The market for these scoops is soooooo overpriced considering what they are made of.

A product of similar size and materials (like a nice shovel or sledge hammer, etc.) are $20 - $40 at most hardware stores. Even a carbon fiber and titanium golf club can be found for less money than a steel welded water scoop!

So, I went searching for a reasonably priced sand/water scoop. I figure *someone* out there must be selling these for what they are worth. These things are not high tech construction or anything! A local body shop could custom make one of these for about the same $180 retail price.

Anyways, does anyone know where to find a durable long handle sand/water scoop for a reasonable price? I will happily pay what it is worth, but refuse to buy one for $180 on principal alone. Even the used ones seem to be going for highly inflated prices.

I searched and searched online, but seem to keep finding the same overpriced products.

Maybe there is an existing digging product (for another purpose), called by another name?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

P.S. I ran into a guy detecting on the beach last week. He was swinging a Whites BeachHunter ID. We chatted about sand/surf detecting, and the interference issues in the water. He mentioned that he was not out detecting much anymore and that he had a second Whites BeachHunter ID at home that he was trying to sell online (with no buyers.) I took him up on the offer and bought the Whites BeachHunter ID, plus two used hand scoops for $200. I'm feeling like this was a great deal. The detector works and everything. Realistically, me buying a second detector was a little premature on my part. I'm new to all of this, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. The same model, albeit old is still for sale at a local store for $1000.) Testing it out, the BeachHunter ID definitely cuts through the interference issues in the water and wet sand, and it seems to have much better discrimination/identification than my Bounty Hunter. So far I'm very happy. I've heard that Whites will upgrade this unit to the BeachHunter 300 model by swapping out some parts? Anyone have any experience with this? Is that worth the effort? Costs?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littlebill31 said:
Here is my scoop. It's a clam rake by Jeros Tackle. I just put 1/4 rat wire inside. It has a 5 foot handle and the opening is 11X5 inches. It works great, especially with the teeth. I figured if it's used to dig clams out of the salt water, then why not treasures.
Best part......$36.99 total for the rake and handle and I had the rat wire.
It's strong too.

Just how are you going to dig in chest deep water with the rake? While it may work on the dry sand, and less in the wetsand, good luck digging holes 10 inches deep in the surf between waves...

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look Dude, Your scoop is gonna take a beating. If you are going to do some serious hunting then you are going to need some serious equipment. I was lucky enough to buy my scoop from Mr. Tanner (god rest his soul) here in Florida and he told me the same thing. I took his advice and it was the best metal detecting advice I ever got. He had a fella that made scoops for $159 made of aircraft aluminum and that seemed high at the time but I took his advice (decades of hunting with and selling equipment) and bought the scoop. That was over 15 years ago and that scoop is the same one I use today. It has cost me about $1 a month so far and it's getting cheaper every day. Now I ask you, Is that too much to pay for one of the best scoops made?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supply and demand, there is a demand for millions of shovels and axes, but only a few thousand scoops are needed. Go in the surf, try to recover a target in between swells that are rolling in every 15-30 seconds apart and you will appreciate a good scoop.

You want to be able to recover a target which could easily be a nice high dollar diamond ring or gold ring as quick as possible and move on to the next target, ESPECIALLY if your hunting in the water...

I was told by experienced hunters on here to buy a good scoop when I first started, so I bought what I thought was a good scoop, I spent $60 on that scoop, that seemed like a lot to me, I mean after all $60, come on that is a lot of money for a scoop............It lasted a little less than one month before I broke it. I bought a good scoop after that, a used Beachbrute for $100, I sold it 18 months later for $85 and bought a new Beach Brute II.... That scoop has already paid for itself in gold rings, diamond rings, diamond earrings, and precious stone rings.... I could sell that scoop right now for $150.00 and I have had owned it over 2 years........

A good scoop is just like a good detector, it will pay for itself many times over, and you can still sell it and get most of your money back.......

I have seen some nice home made scoops, if your good with your hands, have the tools, welder and the time to drill the holes you can make your own, and revise it, revise it, revise it, rebuild it, start over revise it, or you can do like a lot of us and buy a good scoop and go detecting......

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
"I have seen some nice home made scoops, if your good with your hands, have the tools, welder and the time to drill the holes you can make your own, and revise it, revise it, revise it, rebuild it, start over revise it, or you can do like a lot of us and buy a good scoop and go detecting......"

Unless you've been a metal fabricator for over 43 years! :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number9 said:
"I have seen some nice home made scoops, if your good with your hands, have the tools, welder and the time to drill the holes you can make your own, and revise it, revise it, revise it, rebuild it, start over revise it, or you can do like a lot of us and buy a good scoop and go detecting......"

Unless you've been a metal fabricator for over 43 years! :thumbsup:

That is where the "if your good with your hands, have the tools, welder and the time to drill the holes you can make your own" comes in........I have seen some really nice home made scoops, and I have seen some really shoody scoops too......

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I'll go back to grinding cams and rephasing parallel twins for a living. The MD'ing didn't work out.

The scoop would be hard to use but the bike looks like some good work..hardtail? or rigid? sportster tank, look almost like a BSA but with the Mikuni Carb, a rice rocket with a hardtail? Not alot of rake in that front end...

Number9, Titanium soon, just got the skins back from the vendors..should be couple weeks..looks like they will weigh in more then yours, around 4 pounds. The size is 7.5 wide/tall..13 inch's long...cost so far...460 for two, should come in around 245 each at cost. So how much do sell a scoop that cost you 245 to make? How much would someone pay for a Ti scoop?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
littlebill31 said:
Guess I'll go back to grinding cams and rephasing parallel twins for a living. The MD'ing didn't work out.

Now THAT'S funny! :laughing7: I don't care what you're scoopin! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread