I want your opinion, please!!

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here's the deal: Going to the beach in about a week. This is a real touristy beach and I have been there many times and have had success detecting the beach. I have, in the past, used different methods and have had about equal success in both but I want to hear your opinions, hopefully backed by some experience and with your logic of why you choose either method.

Method 1: Going out a little before low tide, walk the edge of the water for 45 minutes or so detecting parallel to the water, then turn around and come back, on a slightly different line of course, as the water has gone out a little more. I have found quite a bit this way.

Method 2: Going out a little before low tide, find the most expensive looking hotels in the vicinityT of where I'm staying, and grid in front of a couple of those from just below the towel line down to the surf. I can only get about 2 hotels hunted during the whole 2 1/2 to 3 hour period of hunting time this way. I have also found quite a bit this way.

I really haven't found either method to be overwhelmingly more successful than the other. Method 2 seems more thorough than Method 1 which seems a bit random to me. To clearify, whenever I use Method 1 if I find a ring or any gold I will grid a little in that area just to see if there is more nearby. While method 1 is more random, it does cover alot more ground. Just trying to think a little beforehand and have some idea of what I will do. Usually I will do it one way on one hunt, and the other way the next hunt, but really wanted to see how everyone else does it. It is a little intimidating to look at 15 miles of beach to your left and 30 miles of beach to your right and your standing there with a 10" coil to cover it with! I know that you can't cover it all and all that but am looking for the most successful method. If you take the time to reply, thanks ahead of time. Wish me luck and I will post my finds, won't be leaving for a few days yet. HH

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh, it IS so hard to choose sometimes! ??? I like the grid though. Towel line, down into the water and back up the beach again. More often than not, as I work down the beach front my find holes will pretty much be in line along the beach (like the mommy line at high tide) about halfway between the water and high tide line, and in the swimming lane (about knee-deep at low tide). Tough choice. When the tide does start to come in, then I walk in a line along the water. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Captain Loosechange said:
So here's the deal: Going to the beach in about a week. This is a real touristy beach and I have been there many times and have had success detecting the beach. I have, in the past, used different methods and have had about equal success in both but I want to hear your opinions, hopefully backed by some experience and with your logic of why you choose either method.

Method 1: Going out a little before low tide, walk the edge of the water for 45 minutes or so detecting parallel to the water, then turn around and come back, on a slightly different line of course, as the water has gone out a little more. I have found quite a bit this way.

Method 2: Going out a little before low tide, find the most expensive looking hotels in the vicinityT of where I'm staying, and grid in front of a couple of those from just below the towel line down to the surf. I can only get about 2 hotels hunted during the whole 2 1/2 to 3 hour period of hunting time this way. I have also found quite a bit this way.

I really haven't found either method to be overwhelmingly more successful than the other. Method 2 seems more thorough than Method 1 which seems a bit random to me. To clearify, whenever I use Method 1 if I find a ring or any gold I will grid a little in that area just to see if there is more nearby. While method 1 is more random, it does cover alot more ground. Just trying to think a little beforehand and have some idea of what I will do. Usually I will do it one way on one hunt, and the other way the next hunt, but really wanted to see how everyone else does it. It is a little intimidating to look at 15 miles of beach to your left and 30 miles of beach to your right and your standing there with a 10" coil to cover it with! I know that you can't cover it all and all that but am looking for the most successful method. If you take the time to reply, thanks ahead of time. Wish me luck and I will post my finds, won't be leaving for a few days yet. HH

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i find it best to start about 2hr before low tide working the slope at waters edge....work the slope about an hr and then get in the water--conditions permitting--- and start working the waist deep water,try to work parralell to the beach.....also when working in the water try to go with the natural flow of the current --which in the atlantic is usually south to north---this will cut down on fatigue from going against the current... i do the dry sand at high tide if beach isnt too crouded...remember the window of oppertunity to hunt the water area during low tide is a short one..take advantage of it whenever possable.. good luck and be safe...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I get to the beach maybe 30+ times a year so I have to make the most of each days hunt. At the first of the year I start check tides and the best weeks for different beach's I may get to hunt during the year. When I'm going to hit a beach that has ruff waters, I Time the hunts to where high tide falls between 10am and 3pm, these hours being the hours with the most people in the water...So say the low tide is between 6pm n 9pm. I will start hunting 3-4 hours before low tide is due, and about 2 hours after. What happens and this works only at a few of my Beach's where the waves can be brutal, to medium. During the HT time people are anywhere from knee deep to waist deep, at lowtide these areas are just wet sand to low waves..making it easier to find a target lane, where most of the treasure will be. Why a target lane is formed, and stuff not scatter all over? That I'm not sure, other then the way the currents shift stuff around due to there weight and the viscosity of the sand And this is the people lane that once was there during HT...just a guess. This method works at a few beach's, others can require a total different hunting style. A few years ago I was averaging One gold rings a day, last year it dropped to one Gold every 2 days...My first hunting vacation Starts Sunday the 17th, The next 2 months I have 3 weeks timed to this...Guess time will-tell

Attachments

• SNAG-0004.jpg
    SNAG-0004.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 257

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread