fatefull steward off delaware beaches

OP
OP
HUNTER12

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
Thanks, There is a lot to read about coin beach and the wrecks.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi hunter 12... it is located just north of indian river inlet...most people park in the lot on the south side of the highway and cross over to beach path.....i went there once , kinda had my hopes up too thinking the gt with a wot coil would surely find something good there.....after like 2 hrs of not even one diggable signal i realized this place was a waist of time for me....there were several others detecting there and nobody was even digging targets.....you might get lucky if you hit it right after a heavy storm but im sure there are plenty of others thinking the same way....in my opinion dewey beach or bethany or rehobeth offer better hunting with many more targets....happy hunting...

tabjunkie

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,at pro,ace250
Hey hunter12, I live in DE and have been to Coin Beach many times. The beach is actually part of the DE Seashore Park system.
There are several entrances to the parks and it will cost you $4.00 to get in for the day( a little more for outta staters The last entrance before the inlet bridge is cosidered coin beach because of its relation to an old shipwreck just offshore (Fateful Steward) I think. Anyway just in front of the lifesaving museum south to the inlet. I have never found anything old there, but I have heard of finds after Noreasters blow thru.
There is a museum in Fenwick Island south of Coastal Hwy that has alot of relics recovered from wrecks in the area. It is above a place called Sea Shell City. Lots of people fish the coin beach area because you can drive the beach if you purchase a permit. I prefer to go north to the first entrance called tower road because it is a swimming beach with concessions stand. Have found lots of recent drops including rings.
Best bet if visiting DE is to hit Rehoboth Beach early morn or later in the day. This beach is very crowded in the summer. I am off work this Fri.
and Mon. and plan on hitting them all. Hope this helps.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
The "Faithful Steward" sunk in 1785 and lost 430 barrels of coins. They still find a bunch, but usually after a Nor'easter hits. I go to the beach about every day. You can park at the Indian River Marina entrance, which is the Delaware Seashore State park, North side of the inlet, and walk under the bridge, then head north on the beach. They are building a new inlet bridge, so the traffic pattern is a little messed up. I live right on the bay there.
Make sure you only detect east of the dunes!!!!!! Crossing into the dune area is a huge no-no. If you drive onto the beach you need a beach tag and must be actively surf fishing. You can't just park out there. Conquest Rd. is also a good place to park and you can walk south towards the inlet. Rule of thumb when it comes to the state parks and the Rehoboth/Dewey/Bethany beaches is that, if you see life guards, then you must wait until after 5pm to detect. Believe me, they will make you leave the beach.
On Rt.1 about 2 miles south of "Seaside Country Store" (you can't miss it), Fenwick Island, there is the "Sea Shell City". Above that is the "Discovery Sea" museum. It's a great place to visit.
Hit the beach during low tide and get in the trough with your scoop. It drops off to neck deep and the waves are rough, but if you scoop a couple piles into a bucket, you'll find a couple neat things. Sea glass is a great find as well. I picked up about 5 conch shells the other day.
I've been finding a lot of metal lately. Very old, half dollar size chunks from something or other.
Have a fun time, it's beautiful out there.

Have a good time

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter, welcome to a great hobby. Like many outdoor activities beach hunting has it's seasons. Those seasons are not so much the calender seasons, but storm seasons and beach goer seasons. Right now, it's beach goer season, also known as towel season. Beach Goers, AKA depositors, are replenishing the beaches with all sorts of bling. Your highest probability of a successful search revolves around those depositors. What beaches do they use, where do they sit and play on those beaches, where do they stand or swim on those beaches, how do they come onto and leave those beaches. Which way is the prevailing current along those beaches running? Knowing all these things will give you the best hunting lanes during towel season.

Storm season is anytime a large storm blows through your area. It doesn't have to be an epic named storm. The run of the mill Nor'easter will do. Even several days of strong NE winds driving seas over the long fetch of open water will create sand scouring waves that will take feet of sand off the beach. We have one beach that can change five or six feet in a matter of days. Bigger storms take even more sand off the beach. 10 feet or more can be expected in some storms. That's a lot of sand. And, long lost targets become reachable.

Watch the marine forcasts in your area. When the conditions are right, that's when those old coins on Coin Beach might be findable. Until then, learn all you can about your machine and how to hunt. Lastly, it's called beach hunting, not beach finding. Some days will be better than others. Keep it fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread