Finally a hunt worth posting about (6 gold rings!) and a year-to-date gold recap

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Up until this past Saturday, I hadn't had a hunt that inspired me to post. Sure I had found a few gold rings between mid-May and Saturday, which I'll post pics of below, but Saturday morning's low tide hunt was the stuff dreams are made of (mine at least).

But before I get into Saturday's hunt, here is a quick recap of the other gold I've found this year.

This first ring I found in May when I was here on the east coast for an 8 day trip. It was my only gold of the trip, and I found it out chest deep and in a rocky area that a number of Mercury Head dimes and Buffalo nickels were coming out of. I believe the stone is white topaz...

DSCN2787.jpg

The next ring was the first gold of my summer vacation - 8 more weeks on the east coast. I was hunting with two other guys I know, and I found two rings - a large man's silver ring, and this rose gold band...

DSCN2790.jpg

The next ring is a nice and heavy 14K man's wedding band that I found about chest deep while at the beach one evening with my two boys. They were horsing around in an inflatable boat and kept bumping into me. They rammed into me just as I got this target signal, and I let one of my sons be the first one to reach in and remove it from among the shells and rocks at the bottom of my scoop...

DSCN2792.jpg

This next little gold ring was found early one morning while hunting with a friend of mine in a freshwater pond. The swimming area was very clean of targets, so I moved well outside of the swim buoys where I picked up four old looking chinese coins and this ring...

DSCN2794.jpg

This little ring is has a silver band and a 14K ball (or half ball really)...

DSCN2785.jpg

This next ring was lost by a man who was horsing around in the ocean with his kids all afternoon. My friend got a call that a ring had been lost several days earlier, so he and I went out on a Tuesday evening to try to find it. The waves were huge, and it was windy as heck, so we had a very hard time staying on top of any targets. After about thirty minutes though, I got a great signal chest deep with waves crashing into my face. It took a few tries to recover the target, and I was thrilled to see the 18K and platinum band we were looking for in my scoop. The owner is going to meet with me on July 24th to pick up his ring...

DSCN2796.jpg

And this brings us to this past Saturday, where I had probably the best hunt of my life. My friend and I hit a beach that I've had some good luck at in the past, and have found time portal gullies opened up to reveal lots of older targets. Well, Saturday was one of those days, and at the end of our three hour hunt I had six gold rings, one silver ring, a silver crystal pendant, a walking liberty half, and MY VERY FIRST LARGE CENT - 1836. Here is a picture of the finds before I cleaned them up...

DSCN2742.jpg

The first target I dug that morning was this nice little 14K wedding band with beautiful script engraving of initials from and to, and a date of 6-20-64...

DSCN2766.jpg

After finding that ring on my very first dig of the day, I was pumped. And then the rings just kept coming. This one is a big fatty 9.4g 14K band...

DSCN2765.jpg

This little 10K ring is tiny and it is from Lasell Junior College...

DSCN2770.jpg

This old and dainty gold ring has a tiny diamond in it which tests real. Unfortunately while cleaning the ring it broke into several pieces. I've pieced it back together for the photo...

DSCN2782.jpg

Among the six gold rings from this hunt was this signet ring...

DSCN2763.jpg

And finally, a very badly worn and beaten up thin class ring. I believe this ring is 10K that has had the alloys leached out of it by the salt water after many, many years. I took a knife blade to one edge of the ring and gave it a scrape, and it gleamed bright gold. The best I could do to get it somewhat cleaned up was zap it with some electrolysis, and then give it once over with an SOS pad before buffing it a bit...

DSCN2845.jpg

If finding six gold rings in one hunt wasn't incredible enough, I got the icing on the cake with my very first large cent...

DSCN2771.jpg

And here is the walker all cleaned up...

DSCN2775.jpg

Thanks for sticking with me all the way through this very long post! I'll be sure to start posting each time I have something worth posting about from now on.

Cheers,

Jim

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Jim! You just blew me away! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what it's all about Jim. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Those are some beautiful rings. I would get back there A.S.A.P. Thanks for sharing.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody please call 911...this post is heart-stopping!

Impressive detecting , time4me! :headbang:

Keep up the good work; those are amazing finds! :hello2:

Lorraine :wav: :wav:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!

That's a hunt you're not likely to forget anytime soon. :o

Nice haul! :notworthy: :headbang:

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a great hunt . I wish for a day like that for everyone (and me too)

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great rings! Now that is a dream hunt! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: you set the bar high for the rest of us to shoot for. :hello2:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats what you call a hunt!! Make the blood rush to your eyeballs.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sonic boom in the early am hours of thur. - u will hear it

nice yellow and great spin............... :notworthy:............. :notworthy:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Jim! Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Was this California?

This has got to be BANNER material if I saw one!

What a great bunch of finds ... what a beautiful hunting day! Thanks for a great inspiring read!

HH Joe

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
DrJoePrime said:
Jim! Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Was this California?

This has got to be BANNER material if I saw one!

What a great bunch of finds ... what a beautiful hunting day! Thanks for a great inspiring read!

HH Joe

Hi Joe,

I wish I had spots like this in California to water detect. I need to come visit you down south for that. I'm on the east coast for the summer, so this is Atlantic gold.

Jim

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well done Jim and congratulations on
some fine gold tickets. Thanks for sharing
them..... Gold Nuggets :hello:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I looked at all your photos again (great photography too) and I am still very excited by your post.

B A N N E R !

Too bad it's not California and closer to me ;D

I have also discovered "time portal gullies" in California and it's something that goes pretty much (amazingly) unnoticed. My oldest find there was only a 1904 Indian Head cent .. but it sure got me excited. I also got all 4 of my Silver halves (2 standing Liberty, 1 Ben, 1 Kennedy) there.

HH Joe

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Thanks for sharing a hunt that gets everyone motivated! The pics were great and the text was very entertaining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread